Creating a basic ASL card for friends

RonJaxon

Reaction score
This is something I've been thinking about doing. I have a lot of hearing friends. I mainly use lip reading to communicate. I usually have 1 or 2 people around that at least know how to fingrspell so they can spell out a word for me from time to time when I need it. Or something I just have them write it down for me.

but i was thinking about creating something to print out and give to the people I see on a regular basis. Such as the people I play pool with on pool league or just people I talk to from time to time.

I wouldn't expect them to all learn ASL. It would be great if they did but I don't expect that. Just showing them how to finger spell and some basic words would be helpful. Also give them some other tips such as speaking plainly but clearly. Don't chew gum and don't cover mouth. I'd also add not to wear sunglasses because I have a hard time reading them when they are wearing sunglasses.

Does anyone know of anything like this that's already been put together? If not I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions you might have.

Ron

What about those old ABC cards the deaf peddlers used to sell?

If you are good with photoshop it would not be hard to do. You need different paper though. Like the thicker stuff they use on cards already made.

simple - use the index card :cool2:

I'm a graphic designer so photoshop is my best friend. :)

I'm wondering if you all have suggestions as to what to put on it. Of course I'll put the ASL alphabet on there. Maybe numbers (0-9).

I was also thinking about putting a list of do's and don'ts. Here are a few examples. Please let me know if you agree with them and if you have any more suggestions.

-Speak clearly but naturally.
-Don't have anything in your mouth (Gum, cigarette).
-Don't cover your mouth or face.
-Don't have a bright light source behind you.
-If required finger spell or write the key words

(Example: I'm going to the store. Keyword = "Store")
-Use hand gesture or mime when helpful.
(Example: If you're talking about bowling then mime bowling)
-Use facial expressions that match what you are saying
(Example: If you're saying something funny, smile. If you're saying something sad then look sad. If you're asking a question raise your eye browes questioningly).
-Don't pretend you know sign language unless you do. Moving your fingers around without making the correct sign doesn't mean anything and makes you look stupid. :)
-When in doubt ask them what would help make communication easier.

What do you think? Have any ideas for others? When I finish this I'll post it so you all can use it if you want too.

At one point we had two 8 by 11” laminated peaces of paper that had everything you would need to do basic communication. I’m sure they have them somewhere on the net but can’t find them. I will try to see if I can find some around the house tonight.

One page had the ABC’s and 0-9
One page had a body, moods, pain scale, and stuff like that
The last 2 had pictures toilet, shower, chair, oven, table, food on a plate, a cup with liquid in it, clock, TV, computer, car, truck, different places, and so on.

I remember people talking to them using these. It was a lot of pointing but you could get your point crossed.

If I can find it at the house I’ll post it tonight if not I will look around on the web. This would give you a few more ideas.

This is a good idea. I am hearing and wanting to be an interpreter for ASL when I get good enough, but it would be handy to have like to give my wife if I ever take her with me anywhere and she wishes to talk to anyone who is Deaf when I am talking to someone else. Might help her have the desire to talk.

I have looked all over the net using a bunch of different search combinations and can’t find it or something close. We can’t find one around our house either.

Back