crab theory

roundtuit

Reaction score
could someone please explain the crab theory to me and any background on where it began...
If interested also post your thoughts about it. thanks

Perhaps this will help BUT remember it does not apply only to the deaf world. it applies in all "communities".

Let's say you have a pail of crabs and when one crab tries to climb out of the pail to escape, others in the pail will pull it back down into the pail. So apply it to the close-knit deaf world and you will see......but like I said before, it applies to other groups too, not just to the deaf world. Ok?

That is why you never need to put a lid on a barrel of crabs. Yes, it could apply to any groups. I have heard of african americans complaining of the crab theory in their own community.

Sure, some deaf person would pull down a fellow deaf person. I am sure that some hearing people do that to deaf people like overprotecting a deaf person, etc.

I am hearing, and this was before I ever met any Deaf people.

My mother told me the difference between your enemies and your friends is this:

Your enemies do their best to drag you down to their level or below while your friends do their best to make sure you never rise above them.

I am hearing, and this was before I ever met any Deaf people.

My mother told me the difference between your enemies and your friends is this:

Your enemies do their best to drag you down to their level or below while your friends do their best to make sure you never rise above them.

Same thing my mother said to me.

Back