Cost of Californian Wildfire

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
California counts cost of raging wildfires
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A raging wildfire north of Los Angeles has displaced thousands of anxious Californians, burning 140,150 acres by Wednesday.

Beth Halaas sifted through the ashes of her family's charred Los Angeles County home trying to find something to salvage.

"It's stuff. Hold on to some of it for traditions. But you've got to remember it's just stuff," she said on CNN's "Campbell Brown."

The so-called Station Fire forced Noel and Marta Rincon to evacuate their home in Tujunga.

"I thought that we were losing our home," the husband said of the residence where he was born and the couple raised their family.

The Rincons appeared visibly relieved when a helicopter doused flames before they could reach the house.

"It's very scary," Marta Rincon said, "but our captain over here keeps assuring us our house is very savable and that we are going to be fine." VideoWatch as some homeowners say they're not ready to leave »

The blaze has begun encroaching on the San Gabriel Wilderness Area in the Angeles National Forest, Mike Dietrich, the U.S. Forest Service incident commander, said early Wednesday. The San Gabriel area represents the eastern edge of the fire, Dietrich told reporters. PhotoSee photos of the wildfire »

Nearly all of the fire was in forestland and the foothill communities of La Canada-Flintridge, La Crescenta, Acton, Soledad Canyon, Pasadena and Glendale.

"Right now we're still looking at this as potential for a long-term fire because it is problematic in the San Gabriel Wilderness," Dietrich said.

The fire, which is 22 percent contained, has destroyed 62 homes, three commercial properties and 27 other buildings since it began August 26, said Joseph Carlton, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.

The state of California has spent about $21 million so far fighting the fire in the Angeles National Forest, Dietrich said.

Responding to questions about the cost at a subsequent briefing, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said, "I've made it clear that even though we have a budget crunch, and we have an economic crisis and we just solved a $23 billion deficit, we will always have the money available to fight the fires because public safety is our No. 1 priority."

The governor said he insisted that the state budget he signed in July have a $500 million reserve for emergencies such as fires. California has had 5,000 fires so far this year, he said.

Schwarzenegger said 21 firefighters have been injured battling the Station Fire in addition to the two killed Sunday. They died in a vehicular crash trying to escape fast-moving flames.

An official at the governor's briefing said about 10,000 homes, 500 commercial properties and 2,000 other structures remain threatened.

Wednesday's valley and desert temperatures could reach 103 degrees, the National Weather Service said, while mountain highs were forecast to be 100.

While potentially beneficial higher humidity was expected, thunderstorms were possible, and they could bring the danger of dry lightning, igniting more fires, forecasters said.

They also pose the danger of downdrafts that could create more fire fronts, officials said.

Cooler temperatures were predicted for the weekend.

Firefighters were focusing Wednesday on protecting communities in the Devil's Canyon area of the San Gabriel Wilderness, a steep landscape that is "not good firefighting country," he said.

Firefighters were monitoring Azusa, Duarte, Sierra Madre, Monrovia, Pasadena and Arcadia.

"We know that the fire may move in that direction in the next several days so we're doing everything we can to keep those communities from becoming threatened," Dietrich said.

Homes in foothills were also a concern. Dietrich said the area above Tujunga and above Devil's Canyon were among the most active areas.

Residents have fled from 10,000 homes along the edges of the Angeles National Forest since the fire started a week ago. VideoWatch how residents are trying to save homes »

As of late Tuesday, mandatory evacuation orders remained in place for 2,000 homes.

A fierce fight was waged Tuesday to save a key communications complex and historic observatory atop Mount Wilson, where Dietrich said 7,500 gallons of a fire-retardant gel were dropped. The collection of towers is vital for government communications and nearly 50 radio and TV stations.

The fire retardant and firefighters clearing brush helped protect Mount Wilson.

It is unclear what caused the blaze, which charred an area that had not seen a major fire in more than 60 years.

Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency last week as a result of the Station Fire. He also proclaimed a state of emergency on Tuesday in San Bernardino County, east of Los Angeles, where the Oak Glen Fire had scorched more than 1,000 acres.

Schwarzenegger had declared states of emergency in Placer, Monterey and Mariposa counties because of fires.

$21 million spent so far and only 22% of wildfire is contained???? :eek3:

CA should be called as The Burning State instead of The Golden State

Sucks to be those Californian guys and gals. Glad I don't live in California.

I am in contact with family members in Southern CA. My cousin's in Acton. Heard homes are lost.

It's extremely difficult to control dangerous 40-foot flames, because they are doing its own thing. It's common to cost millions of dollars to attempt to fight the fire on the mountain every year. It's already 140,150 acres now. Remember, the Santa Ana winds in October will gain strength. It is one of the factors that played a role in fueling major firestorms, Cedar Fall 2003 (at least 2 billion dollars in damages) and Witch Creek 2007 (at least one billion dollar in damages).

Wy bother live on mountain when it always flame every year?

I hope that FEMA can pick up the tab if California goes over the budget for fighting fires.

Wy bother live on mountain when it always flame every year?
They don't live in the mountain, they live in foothills.
Reason for this firehas has not been contained is because we have thousand dead pine trees thank to bark beetles and alot of the area has never been burned. It is wilderness, they burned because of no access to those areas. Yes we have many fire trucks come in from all over places and they are four wheel drive trucks. Thank god they saved foothill community not too far from here. It has been 9 days now and we still deal with smoke. West looks good but east tough to fight because of no access and they let it burn it self out.
I used to go there for hiking and there is no road access to those area, those firefighters have to walk on foot to fight those fire. It is Calif with alot of wildnerness and they are the wonder lands so beautiful.

Yes sad people lost homes because they live too close to hills. Hills are everywhere in Calif except here the desert where I live. Just flat. But where my sister's place in Auburn, they lost 60 homes in few hours last weekend. They don't live in mountain, just alot of trees with very dry and hot weather.

One thing we are so grateful, we do not have Santa Ana wind right now.

I hope that FEMA can pick up the tab if California goes over the budget for fighting fires.

I heard on the news someone started the fires! I knew it! I hope the SOB is found and thrown in jail for the rest of their life ! And they should pay for all the homes that got burnt down and man power in fighting the fires! The ass killed 2 firemen ! One had wife that having their first baby! the other man had kids . How sad!

Not only the monetary cost but the emotional cost to people who lose their homes, healthy cost to people who breathe the smoke, loss of wildlife, etc. It's very sad. I hope that the firefighters are able to contain the fires soon. They've worked so hard and some firefighters have lost their lives fighting the fires.

Another example of people who don't give a ******. All it takes is an irresponsible arsonist and a cig butt to take out a good chunk of any dry woodland. Perhaps it would be convenient to turn our current C-5 cargo fleet into huge flying buckets of water to establish a wet zone and kill the fire there.

Yea, spamer, that would be great if I didn't live in a tropical climate.

Back