Cop question

StSapphire

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can call the cops on your neighbors for being too loud if you live in an apartment? Or is that just houses?

Yes you can.....I would try everything else first though

so you've been noisy one, eh? :lol:

I've complained to the owners of the building several times. Mostly I just want to call the cops on them so I can fucking go to sleep. :(

Complain formally to manager (written, preferably). If they do not take action, document everything and call the cops every time it happens. Be vigilant--that's the key. You've got to be consistent on your complaints. You can use the evidence to get out of your lease if nothing changes.

I don't know how the law works in Ohio, but I was a supervisor at a complex in CA, so I know a few things about it. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

I should add: it is always a good idea to try, at least once, to politely discuss the situation with the neighbors and explain to them that they are being too loud. Half the time it's just someone too self-centered to even realize they're annoying other people, and once they're made aware of it, they'll usually adjust their behavior. Other times, it's just an asshole, but hey--at least you tried, and now you can go to the cops.

Let me stress: be polite!

Luckily I'm on month to month currently and am already looking for a new place, so that's not an issue. Oh well, I'll wait til I hear the next loud thump (currently through three closed doors in my apartment) and call the cops on em. Maybe it'll help some.

I dunno that I could be polite about it right now. Also, there seems to be a party of some sort. I've seen/heard at least 6 or 7 people going in and out over the past hour, in a 2 bedroom apartment.

You can't call the cops just because of loud thumps. You can call because of music, consistently loud noise, etc. But people slamming the doors... hard to get the cops to come out for something like that.

bangCeiling_cartoon.png

in MD, police can come to the door of the noisy offender between 2am to 6am to tell them to shut up and also come in without a search warrant. Several pokers games were stopped that way.

Authentic - Other than that I'd be banging on the wall instead of the ceiling... yup, exactly, lol.

TWA - If I open my bedroom door, I can hear nearly constant shouting, jumping around, etc constantly. Luckily the internet's distracted me some and I can't hear nearly as much, so I'll just whine about it to the manager tomorrow.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's help.

I don't get out of bed to talk politely to the neighbors. Instead, I call the cops.

I've had my share of noisy neighbors while living in apartments in the past. So I always rented out the upper floor, or found an apartment where no one lived above or beneath you....

Some people just walk "heavily" like a "bam, bam", and I would always take a broom handle and pound on the ceiling whenever it really irritated me. Even kids running back and forth in the apartment....I made a rule a long time ago..."no running/horseplay" in the house...get outside....Then again, some people are just down-right inconsiderate! And their parents or even themselves didn't give a damn.

We deafies have to deal with the vibrations. Those that can hear the "noise", especially the LOUD music, get the worst of it....

TWA is right in most aspects. Being "polite" and informing the neighbor that the "noise" really bothers you, and if they could tone it down?.......Some complexes have a rule....and ask the tenant if they are having a "party", to inform their neighbors, even the office/leasing manager....and to keep the noise at a minimum, especially the loud music, and the party to extend no longer than 11pm-12AM...And some complexes have clubhouses for this also.

After 2 complaints to the offending neighbor, with no results, then I would inform the office/leasing manager. ....But a word of caution....some neighbors, when receiving a letter of complaint for noise violations/loud parties, and they know or "assume" you were the complaint...your car tires might be "popped"...(it happened to me)...when I complained about a puppy that was tied to a tree outside all day while the man worked, without water or food, and dog poo-poo all over the yard!...He popped my tire! I couldn't prove it, tho.'

Back