Conventional medicine vs. alternative medicine

Melissa... no matter what you choose, you will be alright.

Just don't drink the bong water.

Haha, how true! I did eat a chocolate eyeball last Halloween, complete with foil wrapper, as I was rather drunk..I just thought it was crunchy! No bongs for me...

CJB, did you have any particular treatments in mind when you wrote your post? I'm interested to know your thoughts.

The idea of auras is paranormal. I don't believe in it. People claim to take aura "pictures" and they will even "fluff" your aura for a fee.

I lived in Colorado, though, where alternative practices are fairly common (esp. in Boulder). I had a friend who tried healing touch on me. No harm done, but no benefit either. I leave each to her own. She believed in crystals and white witchcraft, too.

Many of these practice are harmless, except for the money spent without real benefit. The placebo effect makes some people feel better, so who am I to judge? Some of these practice are dangerous, like outrageous alternative cancer treatments. I understand the desperation of some cancer patients and I feel angry that some people take advantage of that.

Really, if you just seek out information and you use common sense, you'll be fine. It's when we make decisions based on emotional needs that we make bad decisions. How many of us haven't been suckered into a fad diet, cellulite treatment, body wraps, athletic supplements or some other silly thing? Not very many.

The idea of auras is paranormal. I don't believe in it. People claim to take aura "pictures" and they will even "fluff" your aura for a fee.

I lived in Colorado, though, where alternative practices are fairly common (esp. in Boulder). I had a friend who tried healing touch on me. No harm done, but no benefit either. I leave each to her own. She believed in crystals and white witchcraft, too.

Many of these practice are harmless, except for the money spent without real benefit. The placebo effect makes some people feel better, so who am I to judge? Some of these practice are dangerous, like outrageous alternative cancer treatments. I understand the desperation of some cancer patients and I feel angry that some people take advantage of that.

Really, if you just seek out information and you use common sense, you'll be fine. It's when we make decisions based on emotional needs that we make bad decisions. How many of us haven't been suckered into a fad diet, cellulite treatment, body wraps, athletic supplements or some other silly thing? Not very many.

Yes, many are harmless...unless they convince someone suffering from a disease that could be treated by conventional medicine not to seek conventional help and thus the patient deteriorates or even dies. There have been cases of such.

However, some of these treatments can also be quite harmful. Which is the problem I have with no regulation.

Personally, I see no harm in using herbs for minor stuff like colds but I'd chose conventional medicine everytime for major stuff. That said, I don't use herbs for anything other than cooking.

Haha, how true! I did eat a chocolate eyeball last Halloween, complete with foil wrapper, as I was rather drunk..I just thought it was crunchy! No bongs for me...

CJB, did you have any particular treatments in mind when you wrote your post? I'm interested to know your thoughts.

I believe in integrative (combining conventional and alternative) medicine too. I take medication and do self-acupressure for my chronic pain. (My acupuncturist trained me in the points, and with acupressure the points aren't as precise so it's nothing like performing self-acupuncture.) The both together help but neither treatment would stand on its own.

I think conventional medicine tends to be narrow-minded to a fault and alternative medicine tends to be open-minded to a fault. I think the two camps could learn a whole lot from each other. :)

I think a lot of the people that try to make money off auras and crystals and the like are either phonies or misusing their insight. I offer to read my friends' auras and the like but never for money and only with their permission. :)

okay. Just clarlifying. What are the benefits? I don't know anything about this.

I'm back and I hope this doesn't get any more "surly" than it's seeming to begin to be....so here goes:

Basically what this process does is to oxygenate the cells of the body. Our bodies can go for days and weeks without food, days without water but just a few minutes without oxygen, right? When there's insufficient/reduced oxygen to the cells, we develop all kinds of diseases. The food-grade hydrogen peroxide process, taken with distilled or purified water creates an environment within our bodies that kill off viruses, toxins, pathogens and the like. This increased oxygen boosts our immune system and heals our bodies.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell and let me add that the process is cheap and is not tied to profiteering. I've heard rumors of the FDA being pressured by pharma and the medical establishment to do away with this low-profit chemical because there's no incentive for them to use this process on a much wider scale than they currently do. Ozone and hydrogen peroxide are non-patentable substances and are very cheap to manufacture and takes only a minute to do it's work.

In the right solutions, there are uses for this process in and around your home.....pets, plants, cleaning, etc....

I see others here saying the drinking of distilled water is dangerous. I have not found that to be true; however, in using this process, there isn't that much drinking of distilled water, anyway.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, Tousi, but wouldn't taking a few deep breaths also do the trick? If more oxygen helps with healing (which I'm sure it does), then if we just took a few deep breaths whenever we sit down or feel like we're spacing out, then that should solve the problem of low oxygen levels and therefore other related medical conditions, right?

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm interested in what you're saying so I'm just trying to understand if there's a difference between receiving oxygen from the air and receiving it from water or food. :ty:

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, Tousi, but wouldn't taking a few deep breaths also do the trick? If more oxygen helps with healing (which I'm sure it does), then if we just took a few deep breaths whenever we sit down or feel like we're spacing out, then that should solve the problem of low oxygen levels and therefore other related medical conditions, right?

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm interested in what you're saying so I'm just trying to understand if there's a difference between receiving oxygen from the air and receiving it from water or food. :ty:

Hi, there. Re your last sentence, all I can say is, "apparently so" as to there being a difference. Sorry I'm not of more help.

I put hydrogen peroxide on my hair..

my experiences of alternative medicine have been thus:
-I tried homeopathic medicine for a wart on my thumb, which did nothing whatsoever. The wart disappeared one day much later- I just woke up and it wasn't there.

-I tried echinacea drops for a cold but again found no benefit

-I don't know if vitamins count, but I have taken vitamin B complex, general vitamin complex, fish oil and iron tablets intermittently over several years as they are said to help with depression/mood, joint pain and period problems. I again found no benefit but I'm told you should take them consistently for several months, which I did not.

-Today I had an aromatherapy massage (it was free!). The lady said different essential oils had different properties, but I don't know about that. She chose lavender and I chose orange and lemon as I like citrus smells. The massage itself was incredibly relaxing and pleasant, as well as being able to talk to her about personal issues- she understood and it was nice to be listened to. Afterwards I felt a little stoned, to be honest- not giggly like the effects of marijuana, just peaceful and calm (which I have felt before with a little bit of marijuana, a lot turns me into a zombie- I choose not to do it anymore). I felt extremely relaxed and content.

I don't think the oils in themselves did anything, but touch is a very powerful thing and it was a nice experience. However, to paraphrase the FDA, I wouldn't intend it to diagnose, cure or treat any disease.

I put hydrogen peroxide on my hair..

my experiences of alternative medicine have been thus:
-I tried homeopathic medicine for a wart on my thumb, which did nothing whatsoever. The wart disappeared one day much later- I just woke up and it wasn't there.

-I tried echinacea drops for a cold but again found no benefit

-I don't know if vitamins count, but I have taken vitamin B complex, general vitamin complex, fish oil and iron tablets intermittently over several years as they are said to help with depression/mood, joint pain and period problems. I again found no benefit but I'm told you should take them consistently for several months, which I did not.

-Today I had an aromatherapy massage (it was free!). The lady said different essential oils had different properties, but I don't know about that. She chose lavender and I chose orange and lemon as I like citrus smells. The massage itself was incredibly relaxing and pleasant, as well as being able to talk to her about personal issues- she understood and it was nice to be listened to. Afterwards I felt a little stoned, to be honest- not giggly like the effects of marijuana, just peaceful and calm (which I have felt before with a little bit of marijuana, a lot turns me into a zombie- I choose not to do it anymore). I felt extremely relaxed and content.

I don't think the oils in themselves did anything, but touch is a very powerful thing and it was a nice experience. However, to paraphrase the FDA, I wouldn't intend it to diagnose, cure or treat any disease.

Hydrogen peroxide for your hair is absolutely not the hydrogen peroxide I am talking about. What they used on your hair is is 6% Beautician grade stuff that is NOT to be ingested because it has stabilizers and other chemicals such as bleach whereas I was speaking of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide that must be variously diluted according to it's plan of use.

Hi, there. Re your last sentence, all I can say is, "apparently so" as to there being a difference. Sorry I'm not of more help.

Got it. So this therapy is based on the premise that receiving oxygen through water and food is more productive than receiving it through the air. I guess if that's the core belief then the therapy makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :ty: :)

Got it. So this therapy is based on the premise that receiving oxygen through water and food is more productive than receiving it through the air. I guess if that's the core belief then the therapy makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :ty: :)

Well, I guess it is the hydrogen peroxide that is super oxygenating our body's cells. Let's take an extreme example, CANCER, whose cells thrive in an oxygen depleted area so by oxygenating our body's cells, cancer cells die off or better yet, do not give them an environment to grow in so readily. So the hundreds of maladies we could be getting are held in check by this procedure, or at least better than our bodies can without the procedure is what I am thinking.

Here's another nice thing about this: Hydrogen peroxide does not harm our bodies' "good" bacteria because these bacteria are aerobic, meaning they thrive in oxygen rich environments. So disease causing bacteria are mostly anaerobic, meaning they fare better in environments with less oxygen. So, did we just agree with one another? Lol....

I'm back and I hope this doesn't get any more "surly" than it's seeming to begin to be....so here goes:

Basically what this process does is to oxygenate the cells of the body. Our bodies can go for days and weeks without food, days without water but just a few minutes without oxygen, right? When there's insufficient/reduced oxygen to the cells, we develop all kinds of diseases. The food-grade hydrogen peroxide process, taken with distilled or purified water creates an environment within our bodies that kill off viruses, toxins, pathogens and the like. This increased oxygen boosts our immune system and heals our bodies.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell and let me add that the process is cheap and is not tied to profiteering. I've heard rumors of the FDA being pressured by pharma and the medical establishment to do away with this low-profit chemical because there's no incentive for them to use this process on a much wider scale than they currently do. Ozone and hydrogen peroxide are non-patentable substances and are very cheap to manufacture and takes only a minute to do it's work.

In the right solutions, there are uses for this process in and around your home.....pets, plants, cleaning, etc....

I see others here saying the drinking of distilled water is dangerous. I have not found that to be true; however, in using this process, there isn't that much drinking of distilled water, anyway.

Thanks for the info, Tousi!:ty:

Well, I guess it is the hydrogen peroxide that is super oxygenating our body's cells. Let's take an extreme example, CANCER, whose cells thrive in an oxygen depleted area so by oxygenating our body's cells, cancer cells die off or better yet, do not give them an environment to grow in so readily. So the hundreds of maladies we could be getting are held in check by this procedure, or at least better than our bodies can without the procedure is what I am thinking.

Here's another nice thing about this: Hydrogen peroxide does not harm our bodies' "good" bacteria because these bacteria are aerobic, meaning they thrive in oxygen rich environments. So disease causing bacteria are mostly anaerobic, meaning they fare better in environments with less oxygen. So, did we just agree with one another? Lol....

Yep, pretty much. :) Thanks for explaining further, though. :ty:

Back