Connecting HA to audio devices

LADave

Reaction score
The audie I'm getting through Kaiser wants me to try Phonak Nadia 5 SP. I want a direct connection to my PC to help me use Skype more effectively without the mike/speaker interactions I'm getting now. Apparently there are a couple ways to do this:

1) via ICom neckloop.
a) Bluetooth option - sounds great except I'd have to disable or remove the soundcard and use a USB BT dongle instead. BT isn't as ubiquitous as it's 'sposed to be, if I want to do Skype on someone else's PC.
b) wired option. OK, but why spend $$hundreds on the ICom when there are $50 neckloops or earloops online? In fact I was able to hear pretty good with my old HA's tcoil when I held a PC speaker from the 99c store next to the t-coil!

2) Vanilla neckloop - much cheaper/simpler than ICom. Would I want one with amplification?

3) coils that individually go over the ears, like eyeglass hooks. These don't seem to be amplified. Does this mean I need to plug into a 1/8" fitting intended for speakers rather than higher-impedence line-level output?

4) direct connect shoes - Sounds straightforward but I don't have experience with these. Could I leave the shoes on all the time? Would I need to remove them to change batteries?

In a nutshell, I'm skeptical of the ICom. Like most health stuff that's professionally dispensed, it seems expensive for what it does. It seems to pretend to be a proprietary Phonak solution, but if it simply communicates through the t-coil in analog mode, how proprietary can it really be?

I'm also skeptical of Bluetooth. Seems like too much whiz-bang technology to replace a short cable.

I've never used BT, FM, DAI shoes, neckloops or those over-the-ear coils. Can others help me decide how to proceed?

The audie I'm getting through Kaiser wants me to try Phonak Nadia 5 SP. I want a direct connection to my PC to help me use Skype more effectively without the mike/speaker interactions I'm getting now. Apparently there are a couple ways to do this:

1) via ICom neckloop.
a) Bluetooth option - sounds great except I'd have to disable or remove the soundcard and use a USB BT dongle instead. BT isn't as ubiquitous as it's 'sposed to be, if I want to do Skype on someone else's PC.
b) wired option. OK, but why spend $$hundreds on the ICom when there are $50 neckloops or earloops online? In fact I was able to hear pretty good with my old HA's tcoil when I held a PC speaker from the 99c store next to the t-coil!

2) Vanilla neckloop - much cheaper/simpler than ICom. Would I want one with amplification?

3) coils that individually go over the ears, like eyeglass hooks. These don't seem to be amplified. Does this mean I need to plug into a 1/8" fitting intended for speakers rather than higher-impedence line-level output?

4) direct connect shoes - Sounds straightforward but I don't have experience with these. Could I leave the shoes on all the time? Would I need to remove them to change batteries?

In a nutshell, I'm skeptical of the ICom. Like most health stuff that's professionally dispensed, it seems expensive for what it does. It seems to pretend to be a proprietary Phonak solution, but if it simply communicates through the t-coil in analog mode, how proprietary can it really be?

I'm also skeptical of Bluetooth. Seems like too much whiz-bang technology to replace a short cable.

I've never used BT, FM, DAI shoes, neckloops or those over-the-ear coils. Can others help me decide how to proceed?

Okay, I use a geemarc neckloop for the computer. Definitely crappy sound compared to my Univox loop system for my TV. But it works and it wasn't too expensive $57 from Amazon and I don't use it that much only for movies without captions on Netflix etc.

I'm just glad I have my univox loop system because it has it's own bass and treble settings. I only have to have the matt under where I'm sitting, I can move it around. If I want to I can buy the wires and loop the whole room up to 400sq ft and sit anywhere. I'm happy enough with the moveable mat. It's so loud for me I have to sit it on the floor under the couch and moved away from me abit.

Neckloops aren't the best because of the way they are situated on your body and movement can take the sound away. I guess if you have the money you can try anything.

My loop system only cost me $190 from tecear.com. There is a bigger system that will wire your whole house if you wanted, but what I have suits me fine, I just wish it could work on my computer too!

A lot of your questions are based on lack of experience. A good audiologist will let you try different things and not charge you for trying. i can't think of a better way to get an answer to all your questions. But first see if you like the Naidas.

Back