Confederate flag on Georgia specialty license tag

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Gov. Nathan Deal says release of new plate surprised him

ATLANTA -
Georgia officials have once again approved a specialty license plate featuring the Confederate battle flag, infuriating civil rights advocates and renewing a debate among those who believe the symbol honors Confederate heritage and others who see it as racially charged.

The Georgia division of The Sons of Confederate Veterans requested the new plate. Its old one had a small Confederate battle flag. The new one features an additional, larger image in the background that covers the entire plate.

A group spokesman says it means no offense and people have a right to commemorate their heritage.

Southern Christian Leadership Conference spokesman Maynard Eaton tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution the state shouldn't have sanctioned the move and calls displaying the emblem "reprehensible."

Gov. Nathan Deal says he was unaware of the plate.

In Florida, the Sons of Confederate Veterans filed a lawsuit two years ago after the Legislature and the Department of Motor Vehicles didn't approve a similar plate. A federal judge ruled that it was protected by free speech, but the order did not completely clear the way for the license plate to be created. The group still needed lawmakers to sign off on it.

Confederate flag on Georgia specialty license tag | Georgia News - Home

I wonder what Native Americans living on reservations in the desert think about the American Flag?

That flag represents my heritage, but even I don't see it as necessary to display it. This is definitely one touchy subject...

Here ya go Fox, weren't we just talking about Georgia! :laugh2:

Seriously though, yes a touchy subject. However, most people don't know what the confederate flag actually means...If they'd look up and do some research, I bet nobody would hardly think twice about it. :dunno2:

In the mean time, I'll keep sporting my
822e5a56f41573e07034c9465b982c56.jpg

my
cat-de-roman-sunt-00.jpg

and my
US-Flag1.jpg

In the corner by myself. :P

Here ya go Fox, weren't we just talking about Georgia! :laugh2:

Seriously though, yes a touchy subject. However, most people don't know what the confederate flag actually means...If they'd look up and do some research, I bet nobody would hardly think twice about it. :dunno2:

In the mean time, I'll keep sporting my
822e5a56f41573e07034c9465b982c56.jpg

my
cat-de-roman-sunt-00.jpg

and my
US-Flag1.jpg

In the corner by myself. :P

You can combine it to get vvv
6a00d8341bfae553ef01901e2daacd970b-500wi

Back