Come to join the party :)

Jakey

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I'm Jakey and I'm 18. Was born with a mild hearing loss and wore hearing aids as a little kid but stopped wearing them cos I got really self-conscious about it and didn't want anybody to see them. I've always done my best to pretend theres nothing wrong with my hearing - basically pretended I'm hearing! Just wanted to fit in.

Now tho I've a severe loss and I'm giving hearing aids a go again. I'm fed up of trying to pretend I'm hearing when i'm blatantly not so I've come to join the fun here! :)

I've come to learn more about being deaf and all the things that go along with that... and hopefully to become more confident about my hearing loss and one day be comfortable identifying myself as deaf! And who knows maybe even make some friends along the way! :)

Just a bit about me :)

Hey y'all!

I'm Jakey and I'm 18. Was born with a mild hearing loss and wore hearing aids as a little kid but stopped wearing them cos I got really self-conscious about it and didn't want anybody to see them. I've always done my best to pretend theres nothing wrong with my hearing - basically pretended I'm hearing! Just wanted to fit in.

Now tho I've a severe loss and I'm giving hearing aids a go again. I'm fed up of trying to pretend I'm hearing when i'm blatantly not so I've come to join the fun here! :)

I've come to learn more about being deaf and all the things that go along with that... and hopefully to become more confident about my hearing loss and one day be comfortable identifying myself as deaf! And who knows maybe even make some friends along the way! :)

Just a bit about me :)

hey, I have a severe loss here too but I have cool looking hearing aids :D

Welcome Jakey! You from the UK? I remember too how self conscious I was about my aids as a kid. ...even went to ITE aids when I was in sixth grade. I wish SO badly those of us who are HOH weren't automaticly kneejerkingly placed In the Mainstream, being the ONLY kid in the universe who has to wear hearing aids.........stupid ass hearing admins who think that we didn't need Sign and deaf ed.

Welcome Jakey! You from the UK? I remember too how self conscious I was about my aids as a kid. ...even went to ITE aids when I was in sixth grade. I wish SO badly those of us who are HOH weren't automaticly kneejerkingly placed In the Mainstream, being the ONLY kid in the universe who has to wear hearing aids.........stupid ass hearing admins who think that we didn't need Sign and deaf ed.

Hey :) nice to meet you

I'm studying in the UK but Singapore is home :) yeah, I've always been really self conscious of having a hearing loss. I don't want to be anymore tho. Giving hearing aids another go so I'm gna be the only kid in school with hearing aids (nothing like being the odd one out eh? :P). Since my hearing cos worse schools been a bit of a nightmare cos I can't keep up but things can only get better eh :)

welcome.

hope you stick around here.

i was born deaf and asl user all my life. :)

Honestly, in the opinion of one hearing person, I think wearing your hearing aids proudly is the strongest thing you can do. Especially to overcome your self-consciousness. A friend of mine (Julian) wears his every day to school, but I think that's mostly because it makes communicating with staff easier.

I've been learning sign language from him and some of the other deaf/HOH students (whom are friends, as well) at my school for about... I dunno two-three months? I'm picking up on it pretty quickly but I know I could be doing better with it, but I digress.

:welcome: to AD. :)

Back