Comcast considers cap on Net usage

14.4GB/hr doesnt sound right... Does anyone have correct calcuation for video rate at 512kbps?

That's nothing.

Verizon now is 5GB/month and overrage is $0.49/1mb. If you use 6gb you pay for 1Gb overage $490!

That's nothing.

Verizon now is 5GB/month and overrage is $0.49/1mb. If you use 6gb you pay for 1Gb overage $490!

I havent heard about EVDO overusage by Verizon.. I know they are "terminating" customer EVDO account if they go over 5GB per month few times..

ALLTEL doesnt have that limit (so far...)

Wait a Min... I am very Lost!!!

Do Comcast confirm to charge it or not yet? :confused:

I'm a Comcast user since 2001 and never have any trouble with them. I pay $42 a month flat since and now I'm on 6mbps download. They have done the free upgrades before, when I first opened it was low as 2mbps (I think). I don't download large bandwith that often. I don't use VP everyday, averaging about twice a week and most of the time it's a short call.

The internet speed on my Mac is killer! thanks to unix program (Mac is part of unix) that makes download faster. When I have software updates from Apple, the 50+mb file download only takes less than a minute ;)

For on mine, there's no difference on download speed for Mac OS X and Vista, just same.

I havent heard about EVDO overusage by Verizon.. I know they are "terminating" customer EVDO account if they go over 5GB per month few times..

ALLTEL doesnt have that limit (so far...)

Sprint, tmobile and att (except for tethering feature) don't have limited GB usage too.

All good things must comes to end.. Nothing last forever on unlimited.. :(

If you are victim of overage fee then switch to DSL , even I haven't notice about telephone companies will cap on usage of internet.

back to dial-up?? Hell NO! I love my speed... High speed is my daily "drug".. :lol:

If worse come to this overusage crap, I rather switch to business account which is about $80/mo with one static IP with Cox Business - no caps crap.

If that happens, everybody will be going back to dial-up

Mod's Note;

Thread's moved to the proper location since it is related to ISP.

Unforunately, not everyone would have that choice.. Some apartment building or condos have exclusive rights to cable company.. No DSL crap.. I live in very nice apartment place which exclusive with Cox cable for TV and phone.. But forunately, I can get DSL/phone from else where, but would be very expensive to install.

Some small town only one provider.. :(

Not really, if happens then more consumers will switch to DSL or other cable than Comcast.

Unforunately, not everyone would have that choice.. Some apartment building or condos have exclusive rights to cable company.. No DSL crap.. I live in very nice apartment place which exclusive with Cox cable for TV and phone.. But forunately, I can get DSL/phone from else where, but would be very expensive to install.

Some small town only one provider.. :(

Oh really, I don't know that.

DSL is offers in most of place, also DSL is exclusive in most rural area and small town.

For expensive to install, not always, you can order it and install yourself, only need have telephone line and telephone socket.

I am sure they have a way to measure the bandwidth usage on each account... Probably too expensive for them to install the support to be able to measure.. for now... Greed is what many cable modem and dsl providers thrive on .. Which translates to greedy stockholders ... I don't think anyone will go back to dial up.. Many are hooked to the need for speed...I know when I use my videophone for a length of time, the transmission rates starts dropping along with the computer rate.. It is Comcrap narrowing down my bandwidth to keep the more expensive business accounts humming.. Comcrap is already being investigated for false advertising about " blazing speeds.."

Use my middle finger at Comcast for two reason. CAP and $60 every month (without cable TV).
I think 7 years ago, we switched to Verizon DSL. Now, we have Verizon FIOS.

Last edited:
For on mine, there's no difference on download speed for Mac OS X and Vista, just same.

With my XP it's about half slower download than the above speed.

Back