Cochlear Implants

Purple82moon

Reaction score
Hi, I got my Colchelar Implants in June 26-2003..
I really did enjoying it now.. I was 21 when i got it.. and now i have question..
I have noticed that my ear have been ringing for pretty long time (ONLY if i dont have my cochelar implants on..) Does that ever happend to you? let me know :)

thanks

I think I read or heard that tinintius is pretty common with coachlea implantation. Dunno....as I have conductive loss and am so not a canidate for the CI.

Purple82moon said:
Hi, I got my Colchelar Implants in June 26-2003..
I really did enjoying it now.. I was 21 when i got it.. and now i have question..
I have noticed that my ear have been ringing for pretty long time (ONLY if i dont have my cochelar implants on..) Does that ever happend to you? let me know :)

thanks

I got mine activated last June 2004. I dont have the ringing problem but I do get headaches if I leave it on too long.

My good friend does have the ringing problem. She got hers activated last September and shes been complaining about ringing in her ears after she takes them off. She has tried all remedies but has no luck yet about resolving that. Wish I could help you out with that but I guess the best thing is to ask your own audiologist or cochlear company? I will be going to a CI support group in 2 weeks so I plan to ask around to see if they have suggestions for ringing in ears.

the ringing is caused

by your brain adjusting to the new sound it will go away after a whi;e i had that but not anymore i wear two now.I went to ci support group they told me what they thought i just told them it will go away,after a while.

How strange

My lecturer today was talking about CI and he said that it stops tinintius

He must have got his information wrong

tinnitus is common in for some of us to get them after surgery, and the brain get used to the sound like harleymm said...

I had it for like few weeks then my ear surgeon doc told me It will go away just learn to ingore it... so I did ingore and it actually went away.. no medications anything for it for me.. But I do remember another ci user in other forum said having bendryl helped.. so I will ask the person..

Hope your ringing will go away but best advice is: just ingore it.. it will go away..

Wendy

yeah.. you are right.. there is no luck.. i just went to the doc.. and he was saying that it is part of side effect... like ear rings, headaches, and much more.. i am sure of it.. so i just have to accpet it and learning to ingored it... it always at night time.. ( that when i get it off before i goes to bed..)

wendy-
yeah.. i relized that.. i have to learn how to ingore it.. i do... my ear rings like 4 or 5 hours all night.. that what thing i am sick of it..

i didnt know that bendryl helped it... maybei can try that... smile..

thank for the advices.. smile

Purple82moon,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to respond to your question.

I had CI surgery last month and have experienced the *worst* tinnitus ever since!! My "T" alternates between a loud ocean/whooshing, high pitched beep and a low pitched hum. Worse yet, it's almost impossible to ignore because just when I become used to one sound, it changes to something else. :(

My CI was activated last Tuesday. When I take off my processor at night, boy oh boy does the tinnitus come back -- and come back with a vengeance!

Some of the things I've found helpful to relieve it to a limited extent include cutting down on salty foods, caffeine and stress. (All of these things -- at least for me -- seem to make my tinnitus worse.)

I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that eating sugared candy can help counteract the tinnitus since it raises your blood sugar.

I *know* how annoying tinnitus can be! Before I had CI surgery, I experineced tinnitus from time to time -- but nothing to the same degree I do know.

I can't wait until the day they find a cure!! :)

Hope you're able to find some relief. ((((Hugs))))

Hear Again

I, too, experience the ring. It's not fun...nope. Ughhhh. But what can you do? I do ignore it, and it sometimes goes away. If not, there's always the frying pan knockout method....

Hi, Im very interesting to git Cochlear Implant which I'm on my way to git 1 real soon and Thanks everyone for example and I feel u abt ringing on our head lol but glad it will go away and I'm lookin forwarding to git it smile. Peace!!!!

I got my nucleus 24c implanted last 2002 and i still feel that way.

when you took ci off or dont hear any sound for a while (quiet) you will feel the electroude... i have that all of time since i was hooked up

you will have to get used to it and it will go away probably i guess, i still keep having that.

what kind of ci do you have btw?

I had strong tinnitus in both ears prior to my surgery in 2001. After the surgery, the tinnitus was WORSE!

... for a short time. Now, it's unnoticeable with the implant on, and barely noticeable at nighttime. So, for me, the net effect was my tinnitus got BETTER after I got the implant. Not immediately, but yes, within 45 days of the surgery (not the activation) I no longer noticed it.

Ro: I have the Nucleus 24C with 3G BTE speech processor. I originally chose Advanced Bionics' HiRes 90K but after learning about the recall, I decided to have the N24C instead. So far, I've been very pleased!

Dennis: I'm hoping the same will be true for me...that my tinnitus gets better sooon. Over the past several days my tinnitus hasn't been as severe as it was a few weeks ago, so hopefully that's a positive sign that it will eventually go away on its own. I hope so! :)

lucky i dont have tinnitus :) yeah, I have that 3G processors (2 of them) they are much better than SPrint.

I enjoy the sounds, but sometime it make me ill when there's unexpect sound come to you like baby crying, and aggresavting even annoy

ro: I know what you mean! For the first few days after my CI was activated I could only wear my 3G for about 2 hours. If I wore it any longer than that, I'd get a headache or nausea. One thing that I was very surprised by was how *loud* the world is. :)

I also have two 3G's. Because of my blindness, I didn't know how easy the SPrint would be for me to use. I also like the fact that I'm not connected to any cords like I would be with the SPrint. The 3G is very comfortable and feels much lighter than my BTE aids. :)

yeah 3G is much better and comfortable use. im courise if they would work on a new project for new processor in the future come with "waterproof" that we dont have to take it off while shower or swimming...

theres digital camera with waterproof out already so our processor should be next.

Hear Again said:
Purple82moon,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to respond to your question.

I had CI surgery last month and have experienced the *worst* tinnitus ever since!! My "T" alternates between a loud ocean/whooshing, high pitched beep and a low pitched hum. Worse yet, it's almost impossible to ignore because just when I become used to one sound, it changes to something else. :(

My CI was activated last Tuesday. When I take off my processor at night, boy oh boy does the tinnitus come back -- and come back with a vengeance!

Some of the things I've found helpful to relieve it to a limited extent include cutting down on salty foods, caffeine and stress. (All of these things -- at least for me -- seem to make my tinnitus worse.)

I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that eating sugared candy can help counteract the tinnitus since it raises your blood sugar.

I *know* how annoying tinnitus can be! Before I had CI surgery, I experineced tinnitus from time to time -- but nothing to the same degree I do know.

I can't wait until the day they find a cure!! :)

Hope you're able to find some relief. ((((Hugs))))

Hear Again

This sounds like Mom. She just cries at times because she says her head feels like a balloon. She's been adjusted several times in the past year, but is still very dizzy headed and hears a radio playing a lot. We don't know what to do to help her. She's 76 so she's never had hearing problems until the spinal tap incident :( which left her totally deaf.

Back