Cochlear implantation and cued speech internationally

Not able to find that in any of the articles I found...... I found very positive results, especially when CS is used in combination with other tools and languages....
Can you provide some indication from where that comes from....

First of all, that is not a direct quote from any article. Did you see " " around it? Secondly, it is a sythesis of numerous articles and books from which I have obtained my information. Once again, go to that book list in the thread you created, and you will possibly be able to do the same.

Some qualifications there...."learning of language".....the implication and unspoken assumption is "oral language" and "listening"....also implies adherence tothe oral philosophy. It is not a useful tool for language acquisition because while it may convey mechanical information, like the difference in the position of the speech producing anatomy in, for example, a "B" and a "P", it does not assist in conveying conceptual information. If a child does not get that conceptual information,they are uinable to internalize language, and therefore, are very mechanical in their usage.
Not able to find that in any of the articles I found...... I found very positive results, especially when CS is used in combination with other tools and languages....
Can you provide some indication from where that comes from....

First of all, that is not a direct quote from any article. Did you see " " around it? Secondly, it is a sythesis of numerous articles and books from which I have obtained my information. Once again, go to that book list in the thread you created, and you will possibly be able to do the same.
There are no " " around it....
So, again.... nothing to back up your statement...

Exactly cloggy...the most positve results in CI students are found when other tools and languages are used. The most poitive results are found in CI students who are educated in a speech and sign environment. That is exactly what we have been saying all along.
I Thought you said Cued Speech was not a sign language..., and now you agree that CI and Cued Speech is the perfect combination....
I agree with you...
WHen learning cued speech, the child is learning the same language as the parent. Except, visually. Same language, different medium..

So glad we agree on that.

I Thought you said Cued Speech was not a sign language..., and now you agree that CI and Cued Speech is the perfect combination....
I agree with you...
WHen learning cued speech, the child is learning the same language as the parent. Except, visually. Same language, different medium..

So glad we agree on that.

Where did you read that? CS is a tool, not a language. And no, I never said that CI and CS are a perfect combination. What I said was that the highest achieving deaf students with CI are those exposed to sign and speech in their academic and social environments.

And admittedly by your own post, CS in unknown in Norway. So how much do you really know about the system, cloggy. If you equate it with sign, you are making afallicious comparison.

Where did you read that? CS is a tool, not a language. And no, I never said that CI and CS are a perfect combination. What I said was that the highest achieving deaf students with CI are those exposed to sign and speech in their academic and social environments.

And admittedly by your own post, CS in unknown in Norway. So how much do you really know about the system, cloggy. If you equate it with sign, you are making afallicious comparison.
I never said CS is a language,
I never "equate it with sign"

The things you come up with.. the conclusions and assumptions you make.. really impressive.... impressively wrong!

I never said CS is a language,
I never "equate it with sign"

The things you come up with.. the conclusions and assumptions you make.. really impressive.... impressively wrong!

Post # 43.

Post # 43.
You mean "When learning cued speech, the child is learning the same language as the parent. Except, visually. Same language, different medium.."

mmmm yeh, perhaps it is a language... makes sense now....
The english language can be spoken, written down, and visualised...

ASL can be..... visualised......

Guess cued speech is a language after all...

You mean "When learning cued speech, the child is learning the same language as the parent. Except, visually. Same language, different medium.."

No. cloggy. Stop being obstinate. CS is not a language, it is a mode of English.

No, it is not a language. Spoken English is. Trust me. 10 years ago, I would have thought the same as u but after studying linguistics and language acquisition, I learned why it is not a language.

It falls in the same category as Morse code. It is a system of making English visual and could be good as a tool in the academic setting.

No, it is not a language. Spoken English is. Trust me. 10 years ago, I would have thought the same as u..............
I didn't think of it as a language, but Jillio's remark showed that it could be a language.
After all, English can be understood 100% with cued speech...

It falls in the same category as Morse code. setting.
Well, that's a stretch.
Morse is pure characters. CS is sounds, not characters..... Fingerspelling would be like morse.

It is a system of making English visual and could be good as a tool in the academic.
Agree, except, "could be" might be replaced with "is"..

So when does something qualify to be a language.... ???
Why would signlanguage be a language?

Grab a linguistics book, cloggy. Like I said, if you require private tutoring, there will be a charge involved. And regarding your above post....I never made any statement that said that CS would qualify as a language. If you will educate yourself onthe issues, perhaps you will able to stop misinterpreting what is said.

Grab a linguistics book, cloggy. Like I said, if you require private tutoring, there will be a charge involved. And regarding your above post....I never made any statement that said that CS would qualify as a language. If you will educate yourself onthe issues, perhaps you will able to stop misinterpreting what is said.

So, in fact, you are not able to explain to me and other readers why that is...
Difficult to share information - isn't it..

No, it is not a language. Spoken English is. Trust me. 10 years ago, I would have thought the same as u but after studying linguistics and language acquisition, I learned why it is not a language.
Shel, ...
Can you help us out...

Why is sign-language a language ?

So, in fact, you are not able to explain to me and other readers why that is...
Difficult to share information - isn't it..

Shel, ...
Can you help us out...

Why is sign-language a language ?

Cloggy, shel and I both have explained it numerous times in numerous posts. Like I said, if you require private tutoring,t here will be a charge. Or if you would prefer to actually do a little work for yourself, I once again refer you to that list of books you collected. A little summer reading would be good for your mind.

Cloggy, shel and I both have explained it numerous times in numerous posts. Like I said, if you require private tutoring,t here will be a charge. Or if you would prefer to actually do a little work for yourself, I once again refer you to that list of books you collected. A little summer reading would be good for your mind.

So... basically, you are now answering for Shel.....
I would think she could explain it to us....

And... you don't want to explain to others why Cued Speech is not a language..
You can do it so well... Please???

So... basically, you are now answering for Shel.....
I would think she could explain it to us....

And... you don't want to explain to others why Cued Speech is not a language..
You can do it so well... Please???

I have explained it cloggy. And if I thought you truly wanted to know I would do it again. However, that is not the impression you are giving.

I have explained it cloggy. And if I thought you truly wanted to know I would do it again. However, that is not the impression you are giving.
It's not about me. It's about provinding info to readers of this board...

So, how's shel doing??

It's not about me. It's about provinding info to readers of this board...

So, how's shel doing??

You are really pitiful, cloggy. So, why don't you explain to everyone why it is a language?

You are really pitiful, cloggy. So, why don't you explain to everyone why it is a language?
You would do a much better job, plus, it would all be correct...

go on... give it a try....

SHARE !!! (scary - isn't it.)

You would do a much better job, plus, it would all be correct...

go on... give it a try....

SHARE !!! (scary - isn't it.)

No need to. From yur post just now in antoher thread concerning CS, it is obvious that you do understand that it is a tool that is useful for removing abiguity of speech reading, and no as a method for language acqusition. Which only goes to prove that you are simply being obstinate for the purpose of attempting to irritate me. I do think that's against the rules cloggy. Grow up.

Back