Cochlear implant surgery is Safe!!

No residual hearing. He is 13. He does not speak nor can he read lips. I have no desire to put him through any additional surguries as the window of opportunity to take advantage of such things is long gone.

No residual hearing. He is 13. He does not speak nor can he read lips. I have no desire to put him through any additional surguries as the window of opportunity to take advantage of such things is long gone.

Did you or anyone teach him to speak and read lips? My parents said I actually taught myself how to read lips. I had lots of speech therapy as a child and am thankful to this day. I speak quite clearly, although im told I speak loudly as well. I wonder if those with no residual hearing can still learn to read lips and speak clearly? I do know for a fact that those with residual hearing are capable with therapy as I am living proof of this. That's why I won't implant any deaf children me or a relative in my family has if they have residual hearing. As for the window of opportunity, I don't think this is a concern as long as they have residual hearing which would be giving the brain access to sounds. After all, many prelinguals do well with CI if they could speak clearly and read lips before CI, it would only be a matter of connecting the sounds and lipreading with speech recognition. This may take 6-24 months to attain a speech score of above 50% without lipreading.

Did you or anyone teach him to speak and read lips? My parents said I actually taught myself how to read lips. I had lots of speech therapy as a child and am thankful to this day. I speak quite clearly, although im told I speak loudly as well. I wonder if those with no residual hearing can still learn to read lips and speak clearly? I do know for a fact that those with residual hearing are capable with therapy as I am living proof of this. That's why I won't implant any deaf children me or a relative in my family has if they have residual hearing. As for the window of opportunity, I don't think this is a concern as long as they have residual hearing which would be giving the brain access to sounds. After all, many prelinguals do well with CI if they could speak clearly and read lips before CI, it would only be a matter of connecting the sounds and lipreading with speech recognition. This may take 6-24 months to attain a speech score of above 50% without lipreading.
I want my child to acquire language before speech so as of now his speech therapy is limited. Lipreading skills are very difficult to acquire and I have to imagine it takes many years and it's success is dependent on many factors outside of ones control. If there is no hearing and deafness was pre-lingual imagine how difficult it would be to read lips. You first have to acquire the language before you can read lips... yeah? We are still learning language both sign and English. Language first. Speech and speechreading later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I am not sure how to teach someone to read lips...

Interesting, I wouldn't know either...

I simply picked it up myself without any training. I've always thought people just learn to do it out of necessity.

I do believe it is sort of proportional to the urgency of the situation. I did it over the years with my HA but more so when getting deafer toward the end. Now with a CI, I don't bother with it much as I can hear well enough.

Interesting, I wouldn't know either...

I simply picked it up myself without any training. I've always thought people just learn to do it out of necessity.

I do believe it is sort of proportional to the urgency of the situation. I did it over the years with my HA but more so when getting deafer toward the end. Now with a CI, I don't bother with it much as I can hear well enough.
Thanks!. Would you think it is even possible to read lips if you have not yet acquired the language?

It is possible with matter of time and practice, I learnt lipreading/sign (2-5) before i spoke at 5.
I know of a friend who have 2 boys (10 and 4) they both are totally deaf (malformed Cochlea and no auditory nerves) they are an excellent lipreaders/signers so it is possible.

Thanks!. Would you think it is even possible to read lips if you have not yet acquired the language?

If I understood you correctly, are you asking if one could learn to lipread English if you don't know English?!? Er...That sort of answers that question...not really. In this case, you obviously need to know the language before lipreading makes any sense.

Perhaps, I misunderstood your question.

No, I wouldn't think so at all.

THe kid in Deaf Like Me learned a lot of words lipreading using the JTC method.

Her parents were pretty sad when the realized she could connect the lip motions to objects, but was only going to silently mouth the words.

It is possible with matter of time and practice, I learnt lipreading/sign (2-5) before i spoke at 5.
I know of a friend who have 2 boys (10 and 4) they both are totally deaf (malformed Cochlea and no auditory nerves) they are an excellent lipreaders/signers so it is possible.
I am talking about learning to lipread before language. Not speech.

If I understood you correctly, are you asking if one could learn to lipread English if you don't know English?!? Er...That sort of answers that question...not really. In this case, you obviously need to know the language before lipreading makes any sense.

Perhaps, I misunderstood your question.
Thanks! That is pretty much what I thought when I was answering deafdude's question about if I or anyone has taught my son to read lips.

THe kid in Deaf Like Me learned a lot of words lipreading using the JTC method.

Her parents were pretty sad when the realized she could connect the lip motions to objects, but was only going to silently mouth the words.
What is the JTC method?

I am talking about learning to lipread before language. Not speech.

I didn't have language pre lipreading/sign. I learnt language (english (reading, written) after i started to commuicate via lipreading and sign.

Language comes from Listening (ears) or looking (eyes) or Facical Expressions (mouth/face) If Somebody hasn't got the first two they learn by sensory (feel) There ARE ways of learning the language.

I didn't have language pre lipreading/sign. I learnt language (english (reading, written) after i started to commuicate via lipreading and sign.
I find that to be amazing. If I understand correctly you are saying you could read lips and understand words that you don't even know. So how could you do that? If someone said for example; How are you doing? If you don't know the words "how are you doing" or their meanings, how could you possibly make use of that information or even know what the words they mouthed were?

I find that to be amazing. If I understand correctly you are saying you could read lips and understand words that you don't even know. So how could you do that? If someone said for example; How are you doing? If you don't know the words "how are you doing" or their meanings, how could you possibly make use of that information or even know what the words they mouthed were?

She said she learned to communicate via sign and lipreading so it sounds like sign language enabled her to understand the meaning behind lipreading. :dunno:

Lots of hard work!! LOL... I am here discussing my mum about this at this very minute, She is trying to remember back in late 70's/early 80's.

At very young age (2 for example) We used objects, pictures, visualising things. For example show a cat, sign cat, mouth movement "cat" then it kind of developed from then on. "How are you" didn't come until much later (probably at school age)

is there a different dB requirements for age groups? like 0-18, 19-40, 50-60+? left or/and right ear?
Thanks

Back