Cochlear Implant Processors - Why are the new ones so big?

Seibo21

Reaction score
I'm currently wearing my old Nucleus II processor that I got back when I was 18, so almost 8 years ago, and I've been wearing it ever since, it is a little smaller than all the newer ones out now. I got a new one about 3-4 years ago, but it is so big and noticeable and falls my ear lobe easier I don't wear it.

Why can't they make smaller ones with all this new technology!!! GRRRR Anyone else agree?

Really change new technology. I experience my removal my implant. I got health life my body. I am happy. I am getting enjoy. I have headache is very dangerous that is not good. I was 19 years old removal my implant.

The new MedEl Opus2 is indeed a smaller model. Probably the smallest one on the market. That was one of the reasons why I choose MedEl , it was smaller and easier to use than the other 2 models.

On the Cochlear freedom they do make a two battery version that is a bit smaller but I have the three battery version that is quite easy to fall off my ear. I had outer ear reconstruction as a kid just to be able to hold a hearing aid. I use a skeleton ear mold to hold the CI on my ear and lately I have been trying the adult sungfit to see if that will work better.

that is better new technology change new freedom nucleur. I know esprint is not good. That is new technical support to fix on the fm. I don't understand I guess hearing aid. that is good point. I agree you

There are a lot of options to wear the BTE ..you can purcase the babyworn cord , or the bodyworn one , and make your ear feel lighter.

Myself I'm wearing the babyworn option with the adult snugfit , and I must tell it's so big a difference in my ear that I now wear it daily , whereas till now I wasn't consistent in wearing it.My ear hurt a lot , so in the morning I wear the BTE and when my ear starts hurting I switch to the babyworn version ..

And SouthFella , you don't need to go on plugging for the MedEl.Everyone makes his choices :)

I'm currently wearing my old Nucleus II processor that I got back when I was 18, so almost 8 years ago, and I've been wearing it ever since, it is a little smaller than all the newer ones out now. I got a new one about 3-4 years ago, but it is so big and noticeable and falls my ear lobe easier I don't wear it.

Why can't they make smaller ones with all this new technology!!! GRRRR Anyone else agree?

That's interesting. I agree that the BTE should have been smaller not smaller to bigger. I don't know why it is that way. Maybe because they added the T-Coil?

Can you have an earmold made to hold the new one in?

It helps to complain to Cochlear because they take your complaints and make changes.

Back