Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i knew about the whole senses thing. Feeling stuff has became a lot better.. I notice things like people stomping a lot easier. My eye sight isn't really better yet but it has problems from my accident.. Smelling has also gotten somewhat better..

Zebadee, what was the accident? did you hurt both ears, how is the heck did this happens? both ears, eyes? sorry to know this, good that you are working on it and in 2 weeks you will hear better :)

I take the CI off before shower's and dry my hair and try to let it dry as much as possible. Reason being is these processor's are expensive, There is no need to put them in risky situations. My opnion on putting the CI in a food saver and under a cap would plain suck.. If you are able to use the CI well you will hear tha rustling of the plastic material while swimming and moving about. I also sleep without the processor I love my peace and quiet when sleeping. You will get used to having to take your ear off from time to time. I'm one of those CI-user's who was late deafend but deaf without aid for a long time I have learned to be comfortable without hearing in everyday situation's. So I am sure you will end up being comfortable with your situation as well it just takes time.

My opinion on putting the CI in a food saver and under a cap would plain suck.. If you are able to use the CI well you will hear the rustling of the plastic material while swimming and moving about.

I totally agree ... I just mentioned it as a "if we can't possibly deter you from wearing it in/around water (espeically swimming) then at least consider ...."

Processors are $$$$$

Zebadee ... you take the CI (everything) off to shower and bathe etc.

Even if they made a 100% totally waterproof CI, the only thing you'd hear in the shower would be really really annoying noise that would be like extra-harsh sounding white noise but worse, and loud.

Wirelessly posted

I can't even stand wearing coat hood over my processor. All that crinkling sounds just like sunchips' new biogradable bag.

Last edited:
I totally agree ... I just mentioned it as a "if we can't possibly deter you from wearing it in/around water (espeically swimming) then at least consider ...."

Processors are $$$$$

Zebadee ... you take the CI (everything) off to shower and bathe etc.

Even if they made a 100% totally waterproof CI, the only thing you'd hear in the shower would be really really annoying noise that would be like extra-harsh sounding white noise but worse, and loud.

Yeah I know they are expensive which is why i want to know as much about them as possible.

i still have problems showering without hearing because i can't hear if the dog is barking or if someone is knocking on the door, or in rare cases coming in the door. I just find it hard to shower without knowing what is going on outside the bathroom, and also without being able to hear myself stepping in the shower.

As you said i'll get used to things like this but it will definitely take some time.

Yeah I know they are expensive which is why i want to know as much about them as possible.

i still have problems showering without hearing because i can't hear if the dog is barking or if someone is knocking on the door, or in rare cases coming in the door. I just find it hard to shower without knowing what is going on outside the bathroom, and also without being able to hear myself stepping in the shower.

As you said i'll get used to things like this but it will definitely take some time.

For the bathroom door issue - an easy way to handle it is to ask (tell) people to turn the light off and on (not like flickering, but off and on for 1 second each a few times) this will get your attention so that you can call out "give me a min, don't come in yet!!" etc - and tell then to blink the lights again if they understand :)

For your bedroom door - you can either set up an internal doorbell (with flasher) - which takes about 5mins to set up and really is THE best method , or they have "stick on the door" signallers that flashes when it "feels" vibrations (from someone knocking) ... to main problem with the vibration sensors is they they will also go off if someone/thing jumps or people are "heavy footed" when they walk.

You'll figure it all out - and we'll be here to help!

For the bathroom door issue - an easy way to handle it is to ask (tell) people to turn the light off and on (not like flickering, but off and on for 1 second each a few times) this will get your attention so that you can call out "give me a min, don't come in yet!!" etc - and tell then to blink the lights again if they understand :)

For your bedroom door - you can either set up an internal doorbell (with flasher) - which takes about 5mins to set up and really is THE best method , or they have "stick on the door" signallers that flashes when it "feels" vibrations (from someone knocking) ... to main problem with the vibration sensors is they they will also go off if someone/thing jumps or people are "heavy footed" when they walk.

You'll figure it all out - and we'll be here to help!

Sounds like a somewhat flawed plan! But as its all i have to go on, its worth consideration!! I really have a problem with the bathroom, I don't care so much about my bedroom as i'll just lock the door, but our bathroom has no door lock and the one that does have a lock they don't like to be locked in case i fall.. Privacy just seems to be an issue in my house.

Sounds like a somewhat flawed plan! But as its all i have to go on, its worth consideration!! I really have a problem with the bathroom, I don't care so much about my bedroom as i'll just lock the door, but our bathroom has no door lock and the one that does have a lock they don't like to be locked in case i fall.. Privacy just seems to be an issue in my house.

That's the problem with being a kid. When you are old enough to move out you can have all the privacy you want.

The fact that you can't have a bathroom door lock strikes me as creepy. If anything actually happened to you, it would be perfectly easy to break an inside door lock.

That's the problem with being a kid. When you are old enough to move out you can have all the privacy you want.

The fact that you can't have a bathroom door lock strikes me as creepy. If anything actually happened to you, it would be perfectly easy to break an inside door lock.

Right now its so much with me being unbalanced and unable to hear someone ask if i'm ok and stuff like that. This is in the main bathroom it does actually lock. In our back bathroom thats in my parent room, the door doesn't shut enough to lock because the house is slanting and has it in a bind..

They mainly want to be able to get to me if I fall or something while taking a shower or even while trying to put on clothes, which is still hard.

As i keep saying I have a lot of problems from my accident, hearing and walking being the biggest two..

Right now its so much with me being unbalanced and unable to hear someone ask if i'm ok and stuff like that. This is in the main bathroom it does actually lock. In our back bathroom thats in my parent room, the door doesn't shut enough to lock because the house is slanting and has it in a bind..

They mainly want to be able to get to me if I fall or something while taking a shower or even while trying to put on clothes, which is still hard.

As i keep saying I have a lot of problems from my accident, hearing and walking being the biggest two..

The best bet (and what we do at my house) for the bathroom is:

For showering:
1) I let anyone else in the house know I'm hoping in the shower (that way THEY will listen for anything - doorbell, dogs, phone... me crashing and splitting my head open etc

2) I leave the bathroom door slightly ajar (closed, not latched) and we have a sign that goes on the door handle - a Foam kind from the craft/dollar store- that says "STOP" (it's red with a stop sign) ... the other side is Green and says "GO". I flip the sign to "STOP"

3) If anyone NEEDS to get into the bathroom (to use the facilities) ... (the shower curtain isn't see-thru at all, so they can't "see" me) - they will flip the light switch off and on 4-6times and wait for me to say "YES, do you need to come in?" (if "YES", they respond my flipping the lights again & I reply "ok, come in") - for us "YES" is always acknowledged by flipping the lights a few times.
If they need something else (ie need to tell me something RIGHT THEN) then they will NOT flip the lights and wait for me to say "Do you need to talk to me RIGHT NOW" ... if "YES" they flip the lights and wait for me to respond (I arrange the shower curtain so I'm covered then call "come in").

This is where knowing a few basic signs is helpful such as :
"DOOR" - ie someone's arrived to see you
"PHONE" - some massively important phone call that can't wait 15mins lol
"FINISH" - you're running late/have to get out of the shower now etc
"ALARM" - there is some sort of emergency (fire etc)

It might also be helpful to have a few small dollar store white boards & pens so that they can write short messages to you if needed.

One a "shower safety" note ... one thing that you might want to consider is having a grab bar installed in your shower (the bar & install should be covered by your insurance due to your accident). I actaully have one in my shower because I sometimes have balance issues - and because I have Fibromyalgia and some permanent injuries from an accident (weakness, mild muscle atrophy, dizziness, light-headedness, major fatigue, balance problems especially if I close my eyes ie to wash my face/hair etc) Having the bar is a HUGE help not only for me, but everyone else as well :)

Zebadee, I understand your funstrations since I was deaf forever! During my teen years I was at private school the bathrooms were lockable but in the bathroom they have flashing alert but thats the school. At home with my parents I had nothing so therefore I felt safer at school due to having bath with privacy. Now as an adult, I am more aware of whats available for the deaf people than my parents did in the past (you seem much more aware about your deafness than I was, I relied on my parents/school, your awarness is good and you want to lead normal life as possible being independant)

I live on my own of course, with the dog.

For Fire - I have WiFI vibrating pad smoke alarm The alarm is very similar to normal alarm and there is no wires. The vibrating pad is connected to seperate wifi unit which is well hidden behind my bed, it is supported by the mains. I have a Wi Fi handset which is basically a torch! it will flashes when there is fire which i keep in the lounge as it's where I am most of the time. So during day time, if i hear the alarm, I will check the "torch" if it's flashing therefore I do have a fire but It had never happened and I don't wish for one!! *touches wood*

For the door, I have a portable flashing door bell which is loud enough to make me junmp out of my skin! The door bell is stick on type presser and the portable flashing light is about big as ladies hand, useful if I am expecting people at the door or the dog natrually jumps off towards the door.

In the shower, If I am expecting someone, I also keep the dog in the bathroom when I shower or the phone in view (alot of my friends phones me ahead to let me know they are on their way) If I am expecting a parcel, I leave a note on the door telling them PLEASE use the door bell (I get so many delievery man knocking the door I can't hear it). If there is no response, as prior agreement with my neighbour beforehand, on the note stating that, she will take the parcel.

I had passed out in shower before, It was my dog who roused me and I was able to get to the phone which was in the bathroom and called my neighbour, she is very nice and keeps my spare key. She KNEW something wasn't right as I was usually up, showered and dressed then out for walk by certian time. The dog also had barked quite alot. When her phone rang, my number came up, she knew I wouldn't do that unless its an emergency. When I passed out, I had 3 inch cut from my nose over to my eyebrow. I was very out of it. She got me dressed and took me to hosp, it was when I was diagnosed with very low BP and I need to have food as soon as I wake up. But that could have happened to anyone.

Hand rail is a good idea (I think there is temporary ones that sucks onto the tiles), sucky rubber matting for the shower base?? to prevent slipping. The more you put in, your parents might back off and relax a bit more.

Zebadee2010,

I'm another that although I think it's important to utilize my CI as much as possible, especially when it comes to dealing with people, don't always leave it on an 100% basis. And like what some of the others said, I also take mine off when sleeping, showering or swimming, etc. Sometime in a "better safe than sorry" sense.

Although if you feel it's really important for you to have some hearing when going swimming or doing anything water related, then you may want to get some input from those that actually wear those water resistant CI's in those situations and hope you find some in here in this thread or forum. For starters, I understand that you're a late deafened as opposed to my being born deaf.

Good luck!

Zebadee2010,

I'm another that although I think it's important to utilize my CI as much as possible, especially when it comes to dealing with people, don't always leave it on an 100% basis. And like what some of the others said, I also take mine off when sleeping, showering or swimming, etc. Sometime in a "better safe than sorry" sense.

Although if you feel it's really important for you to have some hearing when going swimming or doing anything water related, then you may want to get some input from those that actually wear those water resistant CI's in those situations and hope you find some in here in this thread or forum. For starters, I understand that you're a late deafened as opposed to my being born deaf.

Good luck!

Yeah i've mostly realized that i can't go swimming with it on... its things like taking a shower that more or less frustrate me. And I think for the first week or so i might wear it at night just to listen to music to go to bed. If it falls off the first night i probably won't try it again. But as mentioned earlier i'm really trying to be able to do my job in January.. Otherwise i'm going to be listening to music nonstop just to stimulate my brain!! :eek3:

I had passed out in shower before, It was my dog who roused me and I was able to get to the phone which was in the bathroom and called my neighbour, she is very nice and keeps my spare key. She KNEW something wasn't right as I was usually up, showered and dressed then out for walk by certian time. The dog also had barked quite alot. When her phone rang, my number came up, she knew I wouldn't do that unless its an emergency. When I passed out, I had 3 inch cut from my nose over to my eyebrow. I was very out of it. She got me dressed and took me to hosp, it was when I was diagnosed with very low BP and I need to have food as soon as I wake up. But that could have happened to anyone.

wow amazing dog, are all hearing dogs like that? how much do they cost?
I don't have a vibrating or flashing fire alarm and I guess I will be cooked very well if there is a fire, I need to start getting things like those, vibrating alarms and stuff.
My cat get alarmed when he hears the door ring or someone knocking on the door, I do hear the ring or the knocking with hearing aids on but not when they out. Many times I would know that there is something going on (when my HA out) from my cat as I could see him acting weird with his eyes looking at the door or my phone .... , but of course he does not wake me up if there is something wrong going, lol

Boris isn't a trained hearing dog, he and I have an excellent bond, he knows that I cannot hear. He senses things that isn't right. I am so lucky for a fantastic dog like him. I had him and trained him since he was 9 weeks old, he's now 4.

You can get an hearing dog but as I am British, I don't know how to get one in USA, perhaps set up a new thread asking for advice? Hearing dogs are fantastic, I have seen them at work.
Before I got Boris, I was approved for one but decided after reading their VERY long strict rules and felt I didn't want to be walking on eggshells all the time so decided not to have one, it was over 8 years ago, I might get one, one day but I feel I am not resposible enough for huge responsiblity, Boris is hard enough but to keep a hearing dog stimulated all the time for alerts isn't my idea of fun. I can't take them sailing and were told not to take them alongside me when I ride my horses, I would have no choice on types of dogs either. With Boris I can take him sailing and he loves it, so is running along with me behind the horse, he's always there I don't need to worry too much.

Boris natrually reacts to Gas smells (sniffing under the door to the gas boiler when I had gas leak so it was one off), door bell, door knocking (both excitement/running to the door) me passing out, My cat mewing to come in (he loves that cat and gets excited when she comes home), my cell phone ringing and finds it (thinks it's a game! well when i talk to my mum on the phone, boris gets a hello then gets excited thinking that she's here!! so there is connection between phone and mum!), smoke alarm (licks my face (urrgh), oven buzzer (it is very loud and it makes us jump out of our skin so we know it's the oven) maybe more. This is enough for me.

It also partly depends on what your background is. Since you're a late deafened who had just lost your hearing recently, you might be able to pick up certain sounds, particularly speech sounds more quickly than someone who has been deaf for a long time prior to their implant.

I will be getting the CI soon, so your answer has really helped me, and I was deaf a yr. ago. I hope to regain speach understanding.

Zebadee2010,

Good luck!

do you think It would be a good idea to get mine insured???

I will be getting the CI soon, so your answer has really helped me, and I was deaf a yr. ago. I hope to regain speach understanding.
Good, glad to hear that you found it helpful! You may also find it beneficial to get input from other late deafened users that already has a CI. You could meet them at CI support groups or in associations such as the HLAA and ALDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back