Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you feel "less than" doesn't mean that everyone who is deaf does. That is still about your feelings and perceptions of yourself...not about deafness.

The CI didn't get you into the military, now did it?

touche.

Yes and having a metal rod placed in ones leg to be able to walk is any less painfull than a CI right? ohh and you can live a full productive life in a wheelchair also. But if your child needed his leg repaired you would wouldnt you?

Comparing apples to oranges. Not productive nor accurrate.

My son's deafness doesn't need to be repaired. He isn't broken.

YEah I think flat feet is BS

Me, too. But surgery to correct the condition still doesn't get you into the military. There are all sorts of reasons the military won't accept certain people. Oh, well. Make the most of the options that are available, and they are many. You don't choose whether you become deaf or not, but you sure as hell choose how you adapt to it and how many limits you allow it to place on your life.

Right after high school, Selective Service classified me as 1-A. Seriously. :lol:

Yeah i chose to let my deafness limit me from being in the armed sevices or to get my CDL. I chose to let it stop me from getting those things.

I felt pain all of my life and I blamed it on my deafness. Now, I know that the pain was from the audist views placed on me by hearing people. I probably would have gotten a CI to "fit" in with hearing people because they werent willing to change themselves but now, I feel I dont need to fit in with hearing people hence not getting a CI. That's for an adult to make and it is ok if they want to get a CI.

However, parents making that decision for children is a different story.

Yeah i chose to let my deafness limit me from being in the armed sevices or to get my CDL. I chose to let it stop me from getting those things.

I have a CDL.... and i dont use an hearing equipment. Next.

To help you out heres a picture of me driving a semi...

n603596491_863330_3900.jpg

I don't think they accept people who are nearsighted as well.

My eyesight would certainly keep me out, then. As I am only 5' tall, I am out of the running for jobs with height requirements. So I chose a career that doesn't depend on me being taller. And I certainly don't feel unfulfilled as a result.

That is your expectations getting in the way...not your deafness.:cool2:

Me, too. But surgery to correct the condition still doesn't get you into the military. There are all sorts of reasons the military won't accept certain people. Oh, well. Make the most of the options that are available, and they are many. You don't choose whether you become deaf or not, but you sure as hell choose how you adapt to it and how many limits you allow it to place on your life.

There are reasons for why they don't accept people with flat feet. If you have flat feet, you are prone to more physical injuries (knee, back, hip, etc). Any "physical deficit" you show, they will not accept you. When it comes to the army, the slightest disadvantage put your life and everyone else at risk.

It may sounds stupid, but they just don't want to take their chances. Oh well.

With the technology available today, they would be able to accommodate many soldiers' needs.

There are reasons for why they don't accept people with flat feet. If you have flat feet, you are prone to more physical injuries (knee, back, hip, etc). Any "physical deficit" you show, they will not accept you. When it comes to the army, the slightest disadvantage put your life and everyone else at risk.

It may sounds stupid, but they just don't want to take their chances. Oh well.

With the technology available today, they would be able to accommodate many soldiers' needs.

No offense, but it strikes me that the biggest dupes in the world are also the best-armed.

I can understand how anyone who were hearing and all of a sudden, lost hearing. Must be hard on them when they think about being limited due to hearing loss.

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back