Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFH I am aware of the difference between Healing which FOLLOWS the Implantation operation which leads to activation of the external processor- which is a computer driven action. - PERHAPS you are "dense"( cultural?) not to understand OR choose not to!
That calls for celebration: NO MORE PFH drivel!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Dont worry about pfh.. he's purrfectly fine where he is at.

PFH I am aware of the difference between Healing which FOLLOWS the Implantation operation which leads to activation of the external processor- which is a computer driven action. - PERHAPS you are "dense"( cultural?) not to understand OR choose not to!
That calls for celebration: NO MORE PFH drivel!

Obviously you don't know how an implant works :)

WOW just WOW! With a statement like that then you are against reconstructive knee surgery for your child as well,because well walking is just that important right? I dont see that as sarcasm I see that as sadistic!

Eh? I've had reconstructive surgery done in my right knee, but I do not consider that to be a part of my identity. I do, however, consider my deafness to be a part of it.

PFH: you absence wasn't very long! As for my alleged non knowledge of Implant- had a Cochlear Corporation 50 page book which explained it all-way back in 1998. Yeah I know much improvements since. A couple of more books: Beverly Bidermans- Wired for Sound and Michael Chorost's Rebuilt- 2005. Plus even info from Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section.-2007 when I was there.
I am not worried about PFH-should I?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Aug/07

PFH: you absence wasn't very long! As for my alleged non knowledge of Implant- had a Cochlear Corporation 50 page book which explained it all-way back in 1998. Yeah I know much improvements since. A couple of more books: Beverly Bidermans- Wired for Sound and Michael Chorost's Rebuilt- 2005. Plus even info from Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section.-2007 when I was there.
I am not worried about PFH-should I?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Aug/07

*coughs* Rick's daughter 7 days after, AliciaM says she knows of a few who did it within 2 days and up to a week...

So, you can see, I have several people basically agreeing with me that it can be done... Not a drivel.

The only drivel is in your head.

Wirelessly posted

yes, you CAN be activated immediatly upon waking from the surgery. The question is should you be? The internal healing of the cochlea takes time. My daughter's audiologist and ENT wait a minimum of 4 weeks. They find that you get a better, more stable MAP with a longer healing time. But, in the case of a re-implant (with a single CI) they will activate after only 2 weeks.

*coughs* Rick's daughter 7 days after, AliciaM says she knows of a few who did it within 2 days and up to a week...

So, you can see, I have several people basically agreeing with me that it can be done... Not a drivel.

I most definitely DO NOT agree with you. I said that when she was activated after only 7 days, she could not be mapped properly so she was told to wait another week to 10 days and then her map was fine.

You keep advancing this argument for what purpose God only knows. It just appears that you are nothing more than a cochlear implant troll.

So your roommate was activated after one day: BFD. The overwhelming advice that people receive is to wait several weeks until the swelling goes down before being activated.

I am done feeding this cochlear implant troll.

WOW just WOW! With a statement like that then you are against reconstructive knee surgery for your child as well,because well walking is just that important right? I dont see that as sarcasm I see that as sadistic!

Just be aware this can get ugly very quickly...(not by me)

While I can understand your sentiments, there are aspects you need to be mindful of. Many deaf see their deafness as a badge of identity (Beowulf later said this) and it doesn't need "fixing". Jillio and others have seen too often that just "slapping" a CI into a child doesn't solve the problem where that child is concerned. It gets real complicated, controversial and emotional.

AHA so it's ok for them to bash those who decide to implant their child but its not ok for oposite view's to state how they feel? I am deaf I do not feel that my situation is a "badge" its a part of who I am but in order to do the things I want to do in life I choose to hear. I dont go making sarcastic remarks to those who decide not to be implanted or learn asl... It is just plain rude and not needed to post such nonesense!

AHA so it's ok for them to bash those who decide to implant their child but its not ok for oposite view's to state how they feel? I am deaf I do not feel that my situation is a "badge" its a part of who I am but in order to do the things I want to do in life I choose to hear. I dont go making sarcastic remarks to those who decide not to be implanted or learn asl... It is just plain rude and not needed to post such nonesense!

No, I agree it is not right for them to bash those who do implant their children (and not accept contrary opinions in return). To me that is the sole right of the parent not others.

I was just pointing out that it is not a straight forward situation as we think it is compared to say "knee replacement" surgery. There are totally different dynamics with hearing or the lack thereof when it comes to communications being part of a societal group of some sort. To me that is where most of the fireworks start...

I'm totally with you that one has to go about their business (on how they fit) in the world the way they feel best. Been there and done that.

Yes, I agree that some go overboard (okay waaaayyyy overboard) but there is nothing new under the sun in that regard. ;)

FWIW, I have a friend who posts on here. She had her CI activated a few days after HER surgery also. A lot of that depends on the TECHNIQUE of the SURGEON. SOME surgeons won't activate until about a month after the surgery; but SOME will.

So, yeah... I don't know why DrPhill keeps insisting there's a hard and fast rule that activation MUST happen a month after surgery. I know they want to make sure the incision heals completely, but, again... Techniques, people.

Get it? I hope so!

I most definitely DO NOT agree with you. I said that when she was activated after only 7 days, she could not be mapped properly so she was told to wait another week to 10 days and then her map was fine.

You keep advancing this argument for what purpose God only knows. It just appears that you are nothing more than a cochlear implant troll.

So your roommate was activated after one day: BFD. The overwhelming advice that people receive is to wait several weeks until the swelling goes down before being activated.

I am done feeding this cochlear implant troll.
im laughing here... if you don't agree with me then why bother doing it after 7?

Again, dont feed things in what I said.. I only said "agree with that it can be done" .. think about that for a minute. If it couldn't be done, your daughter would have never had the opportunity to even attempt activation 7 days after. :)

Not a trolling attempt.. I'm saying its possible. I'm actually trying to give more options because look at the situation (as you have failed) Id think activating earlier would give more time for one to get used to the CI before their big assignment...

People have their needs, hence some people need different treatment.

If its possible.. By all means, use it.

for you on the other hand, i don't know why you're trying to restrict things to a specific way.. Perhaps a dominance issue? I will never know.

Help: is this Alice in Wonderland -the external can be "activated Immediately" however can't be Mapped which is based on your reactions to hearing sounds> Since it takes a "few weeks' for one's head to heal- what is this discussion about? Unless it is mapped what does anyone actually hear-electronic noise? I have noted before PFH/ AliciaM who DO NOT actually have an Implant pontificating about them-obviously not from their personal experience. Yeah right- from Google. A suggestion- shift to heart pacers instead of Cochlear Implants if they have so much free time for study.
PFH I am trying to get Jillio to explain why anyone who doesn't want an Implant has massive interest in how it works? Is this suggesting something-subtle? Sorry not a psychologist for definite conclusions.

Thanks to a handful of you for reminding me why I should stop browsing & posting on this site....what a waste of time and effort.

Help: is this Alice in Wonderland -the external can be "activated Immediately" however can't be Mapped which is based on your reactions to hearing sounds> Since it takes a "few weeks' for one's head to heal- what is this discussion about? Unless it is mapped what does anyone actually hear-electronic noise? I have noted before PFH/ AliciaM who DO NOT actually have an Implant pontificating about them-obviously not from their personal experience. Yeah right- from Google. A suggestion- shift to heart pacers instead of Cochlear Implants if they have so much free time for study.
PFH I am trying to get Jillio to explain why anyone who doesn't want an Implant has massive interest in how it works? Is this suggesting something-subtle? Sorry not a psychologist for definite conclusions.

not "massive interest" it's a part of our community, and it happens to be a discussion amongst us. I lived with people who have CI's and i learn from their experience. :) And guess what, their experience only reinforces the fact I dont want one. :)

Please lemme know what you're smoking.. I dont want it.

pontifcating? Poontifcating? Do I see a subliminal desire to do something there? You sly guy you.

But in all of seriousness, stop typing like you know your stuff and type like everyone else please, I'm TRYING hard to read your posts. Which I feel like I'm doing you a favor that I shouldn't be doing.

So basically, i'm 18 as of this year and i fell off a 3 1/2 ft camera stand while at church. Because i locked my legs too long i passed out and fell onto concrete flooring. After a few weeks in the hospital I went home to find out that I can't hear and I can't walk well yet (its getting better though). And also I have a cracked left cochlea and a week left side of my face. After 3 audiologist appts. i found out my hearing wouldn't come back without a cochlear implant.

So to my question. To those with cochlear implants
How was the pain after surgery?
Did you have ringing in your ears afterwards?
Are you able to greatly understand at concerts?
How long did it take you to be able to hear again?
What do you do as far as taking showers and or swimming or getting in the ocean?
Which company do you prefer Cochlear, Advanced Bionics, or MED-EL? (we chose med el but the doctor told us we should get cochlear.)
For the musically advanced is the frequency range great or highly limited?

I'm coming from having great hearing to nothing more than hearing imaginary crickets in my head. I had a hearing range of about 40-16000 hertz. I've lost quite a lot. I was planning to be a sound and or light guy for concerts and thats why I ask about them. I'm not asking everyone to answer all these questions, but answer what you can/feel like answering and give any information that might be useful.

zebadee2010, I'm sorry about what happened with your cochlea, but with getting a cochlear implant, it may be a great experience for you (not all deaf people like it.)

1) The pain after surgery wasn't really that bad. My recent implant surgery was on september 17th for another cochlear implant. I missed school for about a week. After your surgery, you may recieve some pain medications and/or some anti-binonics to help you relieve some of the pain and prevent infection. That is what my doctor given me when i was released from the hospital. You are most likely to be released from the hospital on the day of your surgery.

2) I had some ringing in my ear after surgery, but they said that was fluids, and the ear (or cochlea) is trying to get rid of that fluids, which sometimes caused ringing. But its nothing to worry about, once you get your implant activated, it will stop.

3) I had to wait about a month to get my implant activated after my surgery. but i waited for almost about 6 months to be able to hear again before my surgery. Because we were planning things to get me a 2nd cochlear implant. it's a lot of work to go through.

4) As a musician, I go to alot of concerts, and i go to alot of competitions; i am a marimba player in the Centerville Jazz Band. As well as hearing quality in concerts, you might not hear very good at trying to listen to the concert, because you might have a hard time hearing it at first, but with time you will gradually hear better at concerts. it took me about a year or two to actually start to hear the different sounds in music like a trumpet, a flute, or even a saxophone.

5) When i take a shower, go swimming, or go into the ocean i ALWAYS take off my implants. If you leave your implants on in the water, your implant won't survive in it. Instead, i put it in a plastic-hard container bowl with a lid on it so it won't get crushed. When i go to bed, i place it in a dry box where it keeps my implant away from moisture.

6) I chose Cochlear, they have so many different programs you can choose for your hearing. They work great and sound great. Cochlear is a great company and you should choose it.

7) I can only hear about 2 octaves in music. But no more than that.

hope i helped. I wish you the best of luck!!

zebadee2010, I'm sorry about what happened with your cochlea, but with getting a cochlear implant, it may be a great experience for you (not all deaf people like it.)

1) The pain after surgery wasn't really that bad. My recent implant surgery was on september 17th for another cochlear implant. I missed school for about a week. After your surgery, you may recieve some pain medications and/or some anti-binonics to help you relieve some of the pain and prevent infection. That is what my doctor given me when i was released from the hospital. You are most likely to be released from the hospital on the day of your surgery.

2) I had some ringing in my ear after surgery, but they said that was fluids, and the ear (or cochlea) is trying to get rid of that fluids, which sometimes caused ringing. But its nothing to worry about, once you get your implant activated, it will stop.

3) I had to wait about a month to get my implant activated after my surgery. but i waited for almost about 6 months to be able to hear again before my surgery. Because we were planning things to get me a 2nd cochlear implant. it's a lot of work to go through.

4) As a musician, I go to alot of concerts, and i go to alot of competitions; i am a marimba player in the Centerville Jazz Band. As well as hearing quality in concerts, you might not hear very good at trying to listen to the concert, because you might have a hard time hearing it at first, but with time you will gradually hear better at concerts. it took me about a year or two to actually start to hear the different sounds in music like a trumpet, a flute, or even a saxophone.

5) When i take a shower, go swimming, or go into the ocean i ALWAYS take off my implants. If you leave your implants on in the water, your implant won't survive in it. Instead, i put it in a plastic-hard container bowl with a lid on it so it won't get crushed. When i go to bed, i place it in a dry box where it keeps my implant away from moisture.

6) I chose Cochlear, they have so many different programs you can choose for your hearing. They work great and sound great. Cochlear is a great company and you should choose it.

7) I can only hear about 2 octaves in music. But no more than that.

hope i helped. I wish you the best of luck!!

Well i don't have much to say about that, i don't blame you for not reading most of the previous posts! I myself don't like reading some of them. But i've already had my surgery and get activated next week! so it should be fun..

I'm sure i'll get used to concerts fairly quickly as my church has a live band and i also like to listen to music really loud. As well as having a part time job working at concerts! We did choose Cochlear because my surgeon recommended it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back