Cochlear implant mends lives

Cloggy,

I knew it would not be long before the negative posters chimed in as they always do.

So I guess if you picked 6 as the over under, you win. I actually thought they would be there within five posts. They must be slipping!

God forbid you post an article about a person who enjoys their ci and enjoys the benefits and opportunities it has given her. The article cannot just be accepted for what it is: a look at the first child ci recipient 20 years after her implant and how she turned out. Instead of celebrating the fact that this young lady is happy, appreciates what her parents did for her and is about to become a lawyer, no the litany of negativity begins. For them, the glass is eternally half empty.

The one thing that really bothered me, is not what they said, for they are so predictable that they have no credibility but that you said that you hesitated to even post it. Please, if we stop posting positive stories about ci users, if we stop sharing either our personal experiences or those of our children, then the negative posters will have succeeded in what they seek to accomplish and people coming to this site seeking useful information about cochlear implants for either themselves or for their children will be denied that information.

I have always felt that we were so fortunate to have met so many kind and caring people who helped us both with our ci decision for our daughter and then her as she traveled down a wonderful but definitely "the road less traveled", that the best way to repay those kind and caring people was to help those starting their own ci journey for either themselves or for their children. To me, that is what you are doing with posting articles such as this one and your blog about Lotte and the wonderful things she is doing.

DO NOT LET THEM STOP YOU FROM HELPING OTHERS!!!

Keep up the good work, we are grateful to you.

Rick

How would u feel if an article implied that being hearing and using spoken language is not good enough and that being hearing needs to be fixed or pick something that is still experimental over learning spoken language? Sign language is very important to many of us and helped us so this article implied that sign language is not good enough. That's like putting down what deaf people have accomplished without CIs or sign language. The artice should have just focused on the girls' success without mentioning sign language like it did. By saying we have no credibility is saying that what we feel or believe in is looked down. It is all about looking down on what we experienced or what we went thru, right?

My problem wasn't with the title. It could've been better, yeah. My issue was with

"I can hear voices and accents and tones. I can hear anger and happiness . . . I do wonder what my life would be without it and I just can't imagine it being so good."

Again. I'm all for people who get cochlear implants- your body, your choice.

I'm all against people viewing disability as this life ruining factor. That's all.

My problem wasn't with the title. It could've been better, yeah. My issue was with

"I can hear voices and accents and tones. I can hear anger and happiness . . . I do wonder what my life would be without it and I just can't imagine it being so good."

Again. I'm all for people who get cochlear implants- your body, your choice.

I'm all against people viewing disability as this life ruining factor. That's all.

I am with u on that one.

Just because I am against the view doesn't mean I am against CIs..just against the underlying message that the article implied about deafness and sign language. It is like if deaf people don't get CIs or don't learn spoken language, our lives are doomed. Yes, leanring spoken language is great but unfortunately, not all deaf children are able to with or without CIs so it doesnt that mean their lives will be doomed or miserable. With that kind of view and attitude, yes, that will make things more difficult for the deaf children and I am tired of that view. Can try CIs on kids but pls exspose them to soign language too. I guess some people don't understand that..why teach the kids sign language if they can hear with their CIs? Well...the answer is obvious.

It was great to hear about the girl in question and there is no doubt that she has really benefited from her CI. She was obviously a post-lingual too, so losing her hearing would have been a real and discernable loss to her, unlike a baby who was born deaf. My daughter is 4 and her language is already well developed, so loss of hearing at that age would have caused the girl in the article adjustment difficulties.

Having said that and to be fair, I can see why the other posters might find the article a bit upsetting. The title itself implies that any profoundly deaf person who doesn't get a CI has a "broken life". There is also the implication that an existence of not being able to hear is a miserable one and that science can rescue you from that.

I see a difference between an attitude of providing more opportunities and choices in life as opposed to describing people without CIs for whatever reason, in that way. When I look at my nephew who signs only, I see fewer choices and more worry about dealing with the hearing world, but I don't see a broken life or abject misery.

People generally are remarkably adaptive and learn to find pleasure in different things. Also, not everything in life can be remedied or avoided and in such circumstances the ability to accept the situation and make the most of it is a useful tool to have.

Nods, I was thinking much the same thing when I read the article. Many of my old classmates sign only and life is hard for them but I don't see them having broken lives in most cases. If there are broken lives, it's due to other problems and here's an example: an old deaf classmate of mine is in prison for the murder of his father. Deafness had nothing to do with it.

I've never had normal hearing so my loss isn't devasting to me. It would be devasting for many late deafened. If my nephew Philip were to lose his hearing, he'd be devasted as he's very musical and I remember him carrying around toy musical instruments as a toddler.

History has been very unjust for the d/Deaf since the expected mode of communication was never good enough to fill the communication-gap.
However, that is history. Times are changing. The excuse and/or argument of history becomes weaker and weaker. One should not compare today with events that happened 100+ years ago, because people believed that the only way for deaf people to get into heaven was to be able to speak...

While history may become more distant, the effects of historical injustice are cumulative and they do remain. We are all products of the past, and our attitudes, beliefs and value systems are based on that. I wasn't really offering historical injustice as an argument, but rather as an explanation of attitudes and belief systems. And unfortunately, we are seeing a resurgance of the strict oralist philosophies--particularly within the educational system in the U.S. that was responsible for the injustice perpetrated in the past. So it does continue, although in perhaps more covert ways. Overt, or covert, however, it still has the effect of oppressing deaf people as a group.

Unfortunately, the CI issue has served to separate and individualize the Deaf community, and this can be seen as an attempt to "divide and conquer", and bring the strict oral practices that were so harmful in the past back into existence. For those who choose the oral route, it certainly should remain an option. But for those deaf who do not wish to go that route, or who are simply incapable of functioning in a strictly oral environment, other options need to remain available, and they need to remain available without the attached stigma of being inferior. Once again, it is not the CI that the majority of those opposed object to. It is the oralist philosophy that creates stigma and disadvantage that people such as myself find so objectionable.

You're absolutely right.
I though about putting a comment in the first post, because I do believe the title could have been better, but I decided to post it as it is.
I can see through the unfortunate title of the article and I hoped others could do so as well. (And some could..)

But you are right. The focus has changed from "a person that enjoys her CI" to "the title that shows how deaf are treated".
Pitty

Actually, cloggy, we have all seen beyond the article's title to the attitude that makes using language such as used in the title acceptable in the description of deaf people. It is the attitude of the hearing public that has no contact with deaf individuals that allows these stereotypes to be perpetrated. And with acceptance of stereotypes comes acceptance of discrimination. The language used makes it much more than an article about someone who enjoys her CI, and it sends a powerful message that reinforces the beliefs of those who hang on to the outmoded idea that deaf=inferior to hearing.

Cloggy,

I knew it would not be long before the negative posters chimed in as they always do.

So I guess if you picked 6 as the over under, you win. I actually thought they would be there within five posts. They must be slipping!

God forbid you post an article about a person who enjoys their ci and enjoys the benefits and opportunities it has given her. The article cannot just be accepted for what it is: a look at the first child ci recipient 20 years after her implant and how she turned out. Instead of celebrating the fact that this young lady is happy, appreciates what her parents did for her and is about to become a lawyer, no the litany of negativity begins. For them, the glass is eternally half empty.

The one thing that really bothered me, is not what they said, for they are so predictable that they have no credibility but that you said that you hesitated to even post it. Please, if we stop posting positive stories about ci users, if we stop sharing either our personal experiences or those of our children, then the negative posters will have succeeded in what they seek to accomplish and people coming to this site seeking useful information about cochlear implants for either themselves or for their children will be denied that information.

I have always felt that we were so fortunate to have met so many kind and caring people who helped us both with our ci decision for our daughter and then her as she traveled down a wonderful but definitely "the road less traveled", that the best way to repay those kind and caring people was to help those starting their own ci journey for either themselves or for their children. To me, that is what you are doing with posting articles such as this one and your blog about Lotte and the wonderful things she is doing.

DO NOT LET THEM STOP YOU FROM HELPING OTHERS!!!

Keep up the good work, we are grateful to you.

Rick

This has, for the most part, been a very enlightening and educational exchange of ideas. It is refreshing to be able to engage in an intelligent discussion with those of differing viewpoints in order to increase everyone's tolerance and understanding. Why don't we try to keep it that way? Let's stick to civil discussion of the issues without accusation and personal insult.

............Unfortunately, the CI issue has served to separate and individualize the Deaf community, and this can be seen as an attempt to "divide and conquer", and bring the strict oral practices that were so harmful in the past back into existence.
Or is it the Deaf community individualizing itself. ??

You make it sound as if there's a hidden agenda with CI. As if CI is connected with Deaf culture. I think Deaf culture is not in the mind when CI was developed. Communication was!

Regarding sign, in more and more countries sign language is an official language. It is recognised as such. That does not sound like "strict oral practices that were so harmful in the past back into existence"

But even with recognition, it is still a minority-language, and one cannot expect the rest of the country to learn it.

No what they (the negative posters) make it sound like - is that ANYBODY who is happy with a CI, and telling other people about it is automatically insulting deaf culture. Its as its its blasphemous to say somebody DOESN'T LIKE BEING DEAF!!!

WHY should every person who is deaf have to like being that way or "be proud" of being deaf? Is it WRONG to want to be able to hear? And if so, why is the message that some people DON'T like being deaf so horrible? Sure there are many people who love their deafness, but there are just as many who hate it. Those who appreciate their CI's shouldn't be attacked because they don't embrace the Deaf Way Of Life. Everybody is different - and her choice and her happiness has no effect on how you (the negative posters) live your own life, so why are you so threatened that you HAVE to put down anything that's of a positive nature regarding CI's?

I'm very happy for her, and hope that she continues to express her experiences to others, so that others can SEE for themselves that CI's are not a sentence to a life of turmoil and sadness that so many from the "other side" try to paint.

No what they (the negative posters) make it sound like - is that ANYBODY who is happy with a CI, and telling other people about it is automatically insulting deaf culture. Its as its its blasphemous to say somebody DOESN'T LIKE BEING DEAF!!!

WHY should every person who is deaf have to like being that way or "be proud" of being deaf? Is it WRONG to want to be able to hear? And if so, why is the message that some people DON'T like being deaf so horrible? Sure there are many people who love their deafness, but there are just as many who hate it. Those who appreciate their CI's shouldn't be attacked because they don't embrace the Deaf Way Of Life. Everybody is different - and her choice and her happiness has no effect on how you (the negative posters) live your own life, so why are you so threatened that you HAVE to put down anything that's of a positive nature regarding CI's?

I'm very happy for her, and hope that she continues to express her experiences to others, so that others can SEE for themselves that CI's are not a sentence to a life of turmoil and sadness that so many from the "other side" try to paint.

Did any of us say anything negative about CIs themselves or attack the CI users who have had successes? I don't think so unless I overlooked some posts. It was about the attitude viewing deafness and sign language being a bad thing when it doesn't have to be.

Deaf culture wasn't brought up here by us or at least not by me. I am just concerned that the general public will read articles like this and expect all children shud get CIs and expect them to be successful with them autiomatically when there r more factors involved. I think the public should be aware of not so successful stories too and that learning sign language is not the end of the childrens' lives to give a good balance.

If I read anything that implies being deaf and using sign language is a bad thing, I will speak up. Iam sorry that u don't like it. Nobody says that u have to like it. We all have different views and we all have rights to speak up about how we feel about different things. Howver, to label us as negative, deaf militants or things like that just because we feel a certain way makes it wrong. I am not labeling u or other CI users or that girl bad names nor I am putting u down for the decision u have made. Just expressing my feelings on the author's view on deafness and sign language. I don't know why that bothers u cuz I never said that all of u shud follow my views unless u took it that way?

All I saw is that my way of life as a deaf sign language user being attacked or being looked down hence my reason for speaking up. If that makes me negative, I don't care . I will continue to speak up against that attitude or view on deafness and sign language....nothing to do with CIs.

Again: nobody said "gee, she got a CI, hence she's evil."

What if the CI had never come along? I'm not content that people live their lives with the idea that they -couldn't- be as happy simply because they were "really deaf' without a CI. As said above, that sort of article makes a CI sound like this tool that brings joy to all deaf people. In reality, it's one loaded with politics. People DIE for this- to hear. So sorry if some "negative posters" don't enjoy the attitude that a Deaf life is inferior to Hearing.

WHY would you ever assume that because somebody has a success with something, that EVERY child who is deaf should also get a CI??? To me that seems silly. Just because something works for somebody does not mean its going to work for everybody - and there are more than enough examples available to show that. I'm just upset that every time a positive example is posted on this forum, somebody has to say "yes its positive BUT...." as if they have to point out time and time again that its not 100%, when nothing in the world ever is 100% in the first place.

Those of us who have CI's, or support them, and try to educate others and show the positive sides of CI's have always acknowledged that they aren't a magic wand...time and time again I read here that 'parents of deaf children will just assume because a CI works for person X that it will work for their child' when in reality that's far from what we've witnessed on THIS forum - all the parents who have had their children implanted went through consultation, education, etc...they didn't just expect a magic wand...but even in the face of that, there seems to be the need to point out that CI's don't mean perfect hearing....and they don't - but is there really a need to turn every single positive post about CI's into a debate about the pros and cons when there are more than 50 threads with that kind of discussion already going on? It just seems like its beating a dead horse.... is it impossible to acknowledge that somebody can be happy or successful with a CI WITHOUT adding on a post script of "but its not this way for everybody"? That's what I'm asking.

Sometimes I almost feel like people who have CI's and are happy or successful should feel GUILTY because its not like that for everybody, since that's what's constantly thrown in our faces whenever anything positive is ever said. Its quite disenheartening.

Did any of us say anything negative about CIs themselves or attack the CI users who have had successes? I don't think so unless I overlooked some posts. It was about the attitude viewing deafness and sign language being a bad thing when it doesn't have to be.

Deaf culture wasn't brought up here by us or at least not by me. I am just concerned that the general public will read articles like this and expect all children shud get CIs and expect them to be successful with them autiomatically when there r more factors involved. I think the public should be aware of not so successful stories too and that learning sign language is not the end of the childrens' lives to give a good balance.

If I read anything that implies being deaf and using sign language is a bad thing, I will speak up. Iam sorry that u don't like it. Nobody says that u have to like it. We all have different views and we all have rights to speak up about how we feel about different things. Howver, to label us as negative, deaf militants or things like that just because we feel a certain way makes it wrong. I am not labeling u or other CI users or that girl bad names nor I am putting u down for the decision u have made. Just expressing my feelings on the author's view on deafness and sign language. I don't know why that bothers u cuz I never said that all of u shud follow my views unless u took it that way?

All I saw is that my way of life as a deaf sign language user being attacked or being looked down hence my reason for speaking up. If that makes me negative, I don't care . I will continue to speak up against that attitude or view on deafness and sign language....nothing to do with CIs.

And yet - is it alien to consider that there are people who hate their deafness? That see being deaf as being apart from what they really want, and being forced to "do without"? I DO consider my CI as bringing joy to my life. I HATED becoming deaf deaf. You might find that shocking, but its the truth. I truly, hated my deafness. I wished every single night, that through some miracle I'd wake up being able to hear. The joy I feel now at being able to hear WITH my CI (I acknowledge I'm still biologically deaf) is tangible. It thrills me. Is that a bad thing? I've met many CI recipients who feel the same way - is it WRONG to feel that way?

People DIE for a plethora of reasons - heck last week a local boy died when he fell while doing a skateboarding trick, there've been people who have died because of a reaction to a bee sting, or even while getting their teeth cleaned at the dentist...NOTHING in life is 100%, but if you never take a risk in your life, you would end up cowering inside your bedroom because you'd be too afraid to step outside your front door. Living life is a challenge. I took the risk (which to my mind was no risk at all) when I got my CI. I'm glad I did.

A CI is a tool yes - but isn't it a bit egocentric to automatically assume that because something works for somebody its going to work that way for everybody? If you look at some of the information that has been provided in this area of the forum, there are many who have found out they AREN'T candidates for CI's for whatever reason - its NOT a magic wand, and never will be.

I'd never say that deaf life is inferior to hearing, but I will say that for some, its not as fulfilling. To some, its a crutch, and something they suffer with. I know - I've been there.

Again: nobody said "gee, she got a CI, hence she's evil."

What if the CI had never come along? I'm not content that people live their lives with the idea that they -couldn't- be as happy simply because they were "really deaf' without a CI. As said above, that sort of article makes a CI sound like this tool that brings joy to all deaf people. In reality, it's one loaded with politics. People DIE for this- to hear. So sorry if some "negative posters" don't enjoy the attitude that a Deaf life is inferior to Hearing.

WHY would you ever assume that because somebody has a success with something, that EVERY child who is deaf should also get a CI??? To me that seems silly. Just because something works for somebody does not mean its going to work for everybody - and there are more than enough examples available to show that. I'm just upset that every time a positive example is posted on this forum, somebody has to say "yes its positive BUT...." as if they have to point out time and time again that its not 100%, when nothing in the world ever is 100% in the first place.

Those of us who have CI's, or support them, and try to educate others and show the positive sides of CI's have always acknowledged that they aren't a magic wand...time and time again I read here that 'parents of deaf children will just assume because a CI works for person X that it will work for their child' when in reality that's far from what we've witnessed on THIS forum - all the parents who have had their children implanted went through consultation, education, etc...they didn't just expect a magic wand...but even in the face of that, there seems to be the need to point out that CI's don't mean perfect hearing....and they don't - but is there really a need to turn every single positive post about CI's into a debate about the pros and cons when there are more than 50 threads with that kind of discussion already going on? It just seems like its beating a dead horse.... is it impossible to acknowledge that somebody can be happy or successful with a CI WITHOUT adding on a post script of "but its not this way for everybody"? That's what I'm asking.

Sometimes I almost feel like people who have CI's and are happy or successful should feel GUILTY because its not like that for everybody, since that's what's constantly thrown in our faces whenever anything positive is ever said. Its quite disenheartening.

I am not talking about the parents here on AD..never have and never will. If I talk about people who think the CI is a cure, I am talking about the people and parents I meet in real life. Those are the ones who take articles like these and make comments like "Why wont all deaf people get a CI if they make them hearing?" "Why doesnt my child's CI work if they work for everyone else?" Those are the kinds of comments I get a lot which is why I have those feelings. Maybe u have a different experience with people's knowledge about CIs. My experience with people is that they see deafness as inferior and I am trying to educate them that some people are just fine being deaf and just fine never having developed any speech skills. Anytime I refer to people who assume that about CIs, I dont refer to people here on AD. I know that the parents here are very well aware of the pros and cons and know that CIs dont always work for everyone.

I grew up hating my deafness and it made my life miserable cuz I was always wishing for something I could never have. By changing my attitude and accepting it, it is not an issue anymore. The people out there cant seem to understand that..it is like they expect me to hate my deafness. I understand that there are people that hate their deafness and I dont try to push them into liking their deafness. In fact, I dont think about that..just offer them support and encouragement but most of the deaf people I work with or encounter dont hate their deafness or at least they dont seem to act like it. :dunno:

I am not talking about the parents here on AD..never have and never will. If I talk about people who think the CI is a cure, I am talking about the people and parents I meet in real life. Those are the ones who take articles like these and make comments like "Why wont all deaf people get a CI if they make them hearing?" "Why doesnt my child's CI work if they work for everyone else?" Those are the kinds of comments I get a lot which is why I have those feelings. Maybe u have a different experience with people's knowledge about CIs. My experience with people is that they see deafness as inferior and I am trying to educate them that some people are just fine being deaf and just fine never having developed any speech skills. Anytime I refer to people who assume that about CIs, I dont refer to people here on AD. I know that the parents here are very well aware of the pros and cons and know that CIs dont always work for everyone.

neecy said:
And yet - is it alien to consider that there are people who hate their deafness? That see being deaf as being apart from what they really want, and being forced to "do without"? I DO consider my CI as bringing joy to my life. I HATED becoming deaf deaf. You might find that shocking, but its the truth. I truly, hated my deafness. I wished every single night, that through some miracle I'd wake up being able to hear. The joy I feel now at being able to hear WITH my CI (I acknowledge I'm still biologically deaf) is tangible. It thrills me. Is that a bad thing? I've met many CI recipients who feel the same way - is it WRONG to feel that way?

I grew up hating my deafness and it made my life miserable cuz I was always wishing for something I could never have. By changing my attitude and accepting it, it is not an issue anymore. The people out there cant seem to understand that..it is like they expect me to hate my deafness. I understand that there are people that hate their deafness and I dont try to push them into liking their deafness. In fact, I dont think about that..just offer them support and encouragement but most of the deaf people I work with or encounter dont hate their deafness or at least they dont seem to act like it. :dunno:

A slightly different twist on this discussion...

I never hated being deaf "per se" but I sure didn't prefer it either. It prevented me from enjoying (in my mind) the full benefits of hearing society. This is from a perspective where I could always join in hearing society to the point that I knew what I was "missing" in that milieu (all the little things that is hard for anybody HOH). So, an HA allowed me to wing it for a long time and ultimately I had to go the CI route. I was fortunate enough that it worked even better with the CI.

Considering my success with the CI, I know that it ain't perfect but it is a far cry to what I had to deal with my HA even when I had better hearing when young. Put another way, there is no comparison...it is the difference of night and day for me.

For all that, I still had to decide somewhere down the line (in my case it was when I was in my twenties) whether I accepted my "lot" in life as somebody HOH. Once I did that, everything become much easier for me psychologically and I adapted even better to the limitations of my HAs. Now, I'm totally deaf due to the CI but paradoxically I'm much closer to the hearing world than ever before. It has been a real blessing for me to finally achieve (for the most part) that goal I have desired for so long...be a real part of the hearing world in all its myriad forms.

Bottomline - I know I'm fortunate to live in a time and place that has permitted me to achieve my goal. A goal that quite frankly would have been out of reach any other time in the past. I'm quite sanguine that I would have adapted if such a choice wasn't available. My life would be different in more ways than I can imagine. Would I have disliked it less in that situation? I have no idea but I suspect not.

wow! word shel! My maternal side is littered with moderate to profound HOH peoples. They grew up in a time where they were shamed into hiding it. My mother was told by her audiologist that no one would want to marry her and if someone did that she should NOT have children. My mother wasn't strong enough to say "F#$K Off".

When I first started loosing my hearing I was scared, scared of the crap I know my mom, aunts, and grandmother went through. I was miserable and depressed as my loss progressed. However I started seeing the world differently, started getting more involved in direct actions and social activism. There came a point though that I figured out I was who I was BECAUSE of being HOH and not in spite of it. I've come to love the silence, even knowing what I'm "missing".

When I talk to hearing people they expect me to be bitter and self-hating. I love who I am and know I would be an entirely different person not experiencing life the way I have.

Or is it the Deaf community individualizing itself. ??

You make it sound as if there's a hidden agenda with CI. As if CI is connected with Deaf culture. I think Deaf culture is not in the mind when CI was developed. Communication was!

Regarding sign, in more and more countries sign language is an official language. It is recognised as such. That does not sound like "strict oral practices that were so harmful in the past back into existence"

But even with recognition, it is still a minority-language, and one cannot expect the rest of the country to learn it.

Let me rephrase that. The issues around CI are individualizing. And they are the same issues that are inherent in an oral philosophy. I don't theink that the actual use of CI would create the controversy if it weren't for the fact that the devise is marketed to hearing parents with the attitude of being a scientific miracle that will allow their child to integrate into hearing society without difficulty--somethig that has never been achieved in the past. Since 90% of deaf children are born to hearing parents who have never had any contact with deafness and are very unsure about which way to turn, it is a very effective form of advertising. How that child fares later in life is not a concern--or doesn't appear to be--to the manufacturer. Just as strict oralism was once touted as the miracle that would save the poor individual from their deafness, CI is now being touted under the same flag.

I don't really think it is an issue of expecting the majority to learn a minority language. It is more the issue of allowing the minority to retain their language and passit on to future generations belonging to that minority.

People DIE for a plethora of reasons - heck last week a local boy died when he fell while doing a skateboarding trick, there've been people who have died because of a reaction to a bee sting, or even while getting their teeth cleaned at the dentist...NOTHING in life is 100%, but if you never take a risk in your life, you would end up cowering inside your bedroom because you'd be too afraid to step outside your front door. Living life is a challenge. I took the risk (which to my mind was no risk at all) when I got my CI. I'm glad I did.

A CI is a tool yes - but isn't it a bit egocentric to automatically assume that because something works for somebody its going to work that way for everybody? If you look at some of the information that has been provided in this area of the forum, there are many who have found out they AREN'T candidates for CI's for whatever reason - its NOT a magic wand, and never will be.

I'd never say that deaf life is inferior to hearing, but I will say that for some, its not as fulfilling. To some, its a crutch, and something they suffer with. I know - I've been there.

But you see, Neecy, yuou BECAME deaf. A person who is born deaf, or deafened early in life has no sense of loss. They do ot hate being deaf because they do not know what it is to be hearing. There is no comparison for them. And it has also been empiraclly proven that CI works best for those who have post-lingual diagnosis, as they have a basis in auditory processing of language and therefore have an advantage in interpreting the sound they achieve with the CI.

No, your feelings are not wrong, and no here has ever implied that they are. The issue is, however, that your feelings and your issues are different than those of the prelingually deafened child. Therefore, your situation does not serve as a comparison.

Back