Cochlear Implant Interview

deafdyke said:
I am still against CIs for babies, (with an exception in the case of auditory nereopathy) b/c I think it's too hard to accuratly tell how well a baby hears. I mean research from Auditory-Verbal International indicates that 95% of all deaf kids can learn to hear and speak by simply utlizling hearing aids. (and that stat is from the '70's!)

i agree with this somewhat... just because people are into high tech these days..

every now and then i go to meet up with some deaf groups.

they always start off with OMG i feel so bad for you!! and i question why and they say because i had a cochlear implant when i was 7 and it was wrong for my parents to give it to me at that young age.

pphhh - i tell them its the best thing that ever happened to me.

and they also tell me how they "know" that the CI is bothersome and doesnt work a lot of the times and that people die from it.

too many people have started horrible rumors which is what caused them to bash cochlear implants. I tend to beleive that the people who can not have the implant are the ones who bash it because they'll never be able to get one. more of a jealous issue. (this only goes for "some" of them, not everyone, but it takes 1 person to cause multiple rumors)

Yes, that's true. Right now, I am just on the fence. I had one, now it's gone because it's not helping me much. I responded to the sounds sometimes, but the problem with CI in me is that it bothered my face and the nerves in my face and all. My face was twitching almost at all times when I activated the device. It bothered me so much... the doctor was trying to fix it, but it's too much because my nerves were already severely damaged. (That was like 10 years ago.)

Back