Cochlear Implant batteries

My brain just loves speed. :D Ohhhh, I wanted to experience that yesterday... :laugh2:

If I recall, she started using 900 Hz right off the bat a year or so after I started with mine. This was after she started noticing that a great majority of her patients preferred 900 Hz. Only once in a while does she increase it for those that she thinks would benefit from it.

:lol: about your brain loving speed. :)

When you were in trials, did your audi let you know what processing speed you were using? I know someone who was in trials for the HiRes 90K and her audi didn't tell her anything about the processing speeds she was using (paired and sequential) since this had the potential to skew/bias the results.

I wonder how audis determine whether a person will benefit from higher vs. slower speeds (aside from a person describing what they hear with a given processing speed)? Might it have something to do with a person's hearing history?

Based on the CI users I know, most people with short-term deafness prefer high speeds while those with long-term deafness prefer slower speeds. (Of course, there are always exceptions.)

Last edited:
:lol: about your brain loving speed. :)

When you were in trials, did your audi let you know what processing speed you were using? I know someone who was in trials for the HiRes 90K and her audi didn't tell her anything about the processing speeds she was using (paired and sequential) since this had the potential to skew/bias the results.

I think she told me and started me off with 1200 Hz. She really wanted to know what I thought of it. After several mappings, she boosted me to 1800 Hz and a little while later she put me at 2400 Hz. The fact I took off from the first indicated to her that I could handle higher speeds.

Hear Again said:
I wonder how audis determine whether a person will benefit from higher vs. slower speeds (aside from a person describing what they hear with a given processing speed)? Might it have something to do with a person's hearing history?

Good question. It probably has a lot to do with a person's history but I do also believe how well one responds to the mapping indicates a bit as well.

Hear Again said:
Based on the CI users I know, most people with short-term deafness prefer high speeds while those with long-term deafness prefer slower speeds. (Of course, there are always exceptions.)

I never heard that one but I can agree with the idea. While I always was HOH from the beginning, I think the fact that I was exceptional in understanding speech was the clincher why higher speeds would work for me.

While I always was HOH from the beginning, I think the fact that I was exceptional in understanding speech was the clincher why higher speeds would work for me.

In my case, I was diagnosed with a mild hearing loss at age 3 (although my former HA and current CI audi think it may be congenital due to the fact that newborns weren't given hearing screenings in the late 60's/early 70's).

By age 15, I received my first pair of BTE hearing aids for a moderately-severe loss.

9 years later my hearing dropped to severe-profound at which time I began to learn alternative communication and mobility techniques for the deafblind.

In December, 1994 I received my first CI and a year later, my second.

I don't know if my inability to understand speech (with HAs and a Comtek FM system) for 4 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss had anything to do with the fact that I couldn't use a faster processing speed. I might ask my audi about that to find out what the experiences of her patients has been.

Last edited:
but i don't know if she (my audiologist) changed the HZ.

by the way i use power one implant plus and love it since.

Well my expericence with different hz is if they change it I can tell. The higher the speed the more echoy and harder it is from me to hear. I need to crank up the V, my brain seems to prefer the 750. It will tolerate the 900 and given a few days might adapte to 1200 but I really don't 'like' it. So if your processing speed had changed you should have been aware of it. It just sounds different.

Oh and just to add, my hearing loss at time of implantation was severe and never quite got into the profound range.

The lady who works in our office has an older BTE CI and she changes the batteries every 2-3 days. We happen to supply her the Duracell AA batteries she uses.

Richard

cochlear battery

In all of my 40 years experience with Rayovac, they have been outstanding in quality. And now ever more with the new 1.45 volt cochlear battery.

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if different types of batteries can actually affect the sound quality with a cochlear implant, specifically an Esprit 22. I swear the sound's a lot more tinny with Rayovac batteries than it is with PowerOne types. Rayovacs only seem to last half as long as well. Must be the superior German engineering!

I have rechargeable batteries-Advanced Bionics- use one for about 14 hours. The other 3 are being recharged all the time.
The advantage-I guess-of having a model at ear level.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

The best hearing aid batteries are surprisingly affordable, and in some cases, with up to date consumer information on hearing aids, you may be able to get them free!

Back