Cochlear Implant [Advices, Discussions or whatever]

Username

Reaction score
Well, I'll just sum everything up about me - I was born hearing, but was deafened when I was baby. My whole family pointed out that cochlear implant would be a solution and a "cure" for my deafness. But my mother, who is a coda herself refused to go ahead with an implantation. My first language is Auslan (Australian Sign Language), and my first word I signed was when I was 6 months old. I have a really good language start when I was younger, with an excellent "deaf intervention" programs that my mother have "installed" on me. I went to a first bilingual primary school in Queensland, Toowong State School, and everything was going very well and I was so happy with my life. Now... I am a deaf high school student, and I am aiming to go to university when I finish school (in 2012). I use the sign language for most of my life, and I am happy about it. I have a lot of signing and oral deaf friends, along with hearing peers. I grew up with the usage of total communication (signing and talking) but it wasn't until when I was Year 5 (10 years old) when I found my deaf identity and its culture. That's when I decided to stop talking and take off my hearing aids.

For five years, as from when I stopped talking, my identity on deafness grew and I made a lot of new deaf friends. I moved to Sydney in 2008 to go to The Hills Grammar School under the scholarship program and mainstream with other hearing people. The reason why I moved to Sydney, is because my mother refused to let me to learn Signed English. Signed English is an english-coded sign language... well, actually, it is not a "sign language" anyway. Queensland Government have spent $37 million toward a transition program and bilingual development from Signed English into a complete Auslan education.

Now... I am 16 year old, and I grew up extremely opposed to Cochlear Implant and I don't believe the ideology that it would be a benefit or "good enough" for deaf people. But recently, I just "switched on" my mind, and changed my attitude, perspective and beliefs on the CI almost immediately.

Just this year, I decided to go ahead with cochlear implant. My mother, who herself is opposed to CI (not opposed but don't believe in them) is still struggling with my decision. She, herself, really don't want me to get one but she will just follow what I want, for myself.

I am now on the second stage of CI assessment, but one thing is hitting me off is that "will the CI benefit me?" "what will happen if it fails?" and so many unanswered questions.

My speech and listening have dramatically improved in last 3 months when I started an extensive speech therapies and a new hearing aid "to practice for CI". I was able to order double cheeseburger meal for my maccas lunch. I am starting to interpret for my deaf friends, and I really love it. My audiologists and speech therapiest couldn't believe how fast I am improving lately, a new words I've learning how to speak every day. I was able to recognise many sounds with my hearing aid. I firmly believe that CI will be good for me, and I firmly want it.

My mother kept telling me "what if it fails?" "You can't assume that it will cure your deafness?" In reality, I think all of her information she have told me is a fifteen year information. She always remind me of my deaf friends whom their CI have failed, with damaged facial nerves, but I also try and remind her that all of my failed CI friends was operated 15 years ago. Nowadays, there are a technology to warn doctors whenever if they are cutting too close to my nerves.

In the conclusion, after my operation (which it could be held in Christmas holidays), I will still be using sign language but I am only asking for a CI to open more doors for me. According to my friends, peers, deaf community and my hearing friends, I am classified as "academically deaf". I do hard subjects at school, such as advanced english (grammar is still a problem, but I am doing well in Adv English anyway :P) and modern history. I believe that cochlear implant is vital for me, because I am aiming to go to university and gain a degree (or masters) on architecture.

Cochlear Implant do not cure my deafness, but I am just using it to open more doors, and reduce the communication barriers. Even after the switch on, I will be still a deaf person. No matter what. Just a signing deaf person who can talk.

I think I've given you enough information, whenever if CI would be good enough for me. Advices? Feedbacks? I am willing to listen your ideas, or whatever.

Welcome..

"What if it fails"... you will be still the same person. Only with an implant in your hear that you don't use.
What if it works?.. you will be discovering a new world of sound. Overwhelming with sounds everywhere. Non-stop (until you take off your CI) - but you know all that.. :lol:

Failure or success will depend on your expectations and how much you will hear. And how much work you put into it, because it's a lot of work, but from your story I have a feeling you are not afraid of that..

But there are other people here that know about this first-hand. (I'm hearing, I have a daughter who has CI since she was 2 years old.)
They will reply to your post I'm sure..

Keep in touch..
Have you had contact with other message-boards? DOL was started by an old member on AllDeaf (Boult)

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Is right now the best time? You are wanting to get into school for architecture and that takes a lot of work. If you get a CI right now, you will have to devote most of your time to that which might impact the time spent on school, social life etc. You will have to totally retrain your brain. CI isn't like a hearing aid that makes thinks louder, the sound you get through it sounds processed and screwy. While the speech training you are getting now will help, It is only the beginning. I'm not saying don't get it if you really want it, just maybe wait until you are already adjusted to college life and don't overwhelm your self. Also, while you are right about techniques improving, surgery is still risky and many of us know about recent CI failure either from problems in surgery, magnet sensitivity, technical failure, brain unable to adjust, continued nerve degeneration, chronic headaches, infections etc. from recent surgeries.

......Also, while you are right about techniques improving, surgery is still risky and many of us know about recent CI failure either from problems in surgery, magnet sensitivity, technical failure, brain unable to adjust, continued nerve degeneration, chronic headaches, infections etc. from recent surgeries.
Risks will always be there... You take them getting in your car, or in someone else's car... If you would look at risks you would not get in a car anymore..
Of course there are people here that have had problems with their CI. But also many people that are happy with them.
Because of it's nature, this messageboard will generate a (relative) higher percentage of deaf people that have had problems with CI.
Other messageboards like DOL will have more positive experiences.

Wirelessly posted

Cloggy- I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying to do it with both eyes open. I've seen some awesome successes and some horrible fails and wouldn't want someone to go through with a life changing surgery without being aware of all possible changes.

Well, I'll just sum everything up about me - I was born hearing, but was deafened when I was baby. My whole family pointed out that cochlear implant would be a solution and a "cure" for my deafness. But my mother, who is a coda herself refused to go ahead with an implantation. My first language is Auslan (Australian Sign Language), and my first word I signed was when I was 6 months old. I have a really good language start when I was younger, with an excellent "deaf intervention" programs that my mother have "installed" on me. I went to a first bilingual primary school in Queensland, Toowong State School, and everything was going very well and I was so happy with my life. Now... I am a deaf high school student, and I am aiming to go to university when I finish school (in 2012). I use the sign language for most of my life, and I am happy about it. I have a lot of signing and oral deaf friends, along with hearing peers. I grew up with the usage of total communication (signing and talking) but it wasn't until when I was Year 5 (10 years old) when I found my deaf identity and its culture. That's when I decided to stop talking and take off my hearing aids.

For five years, as from when I stopped talking, my identity on deafness grew and I made a lot of new deaf friends. I moved to Sydney in 2008 to go to The Hills Grammar School under the scholarship program and mainstream with other hearing people. The reason why I moved to Sydney, is because my mother refused to let me to learn Signed English. Signed English is an english-coded sign language... well, actually, it is not a "sign language" anyway. Queensland Government have spent $37 million toward a transition program and bilingual development from Signed English into a complete Auslan education.

Now... I am 16 year old, and I grew up extremely opposed to Cochlear Implant and I don't believe the ideology that it would be a benefit or "good enough" for deaf people. But recently, I just "switched on" my mind, and changed my attitude, perspective and beliefs on the CI almost immediately.

Just this year, I decided to go ahead with cochlear implant. My mother, who herself is opposed to CI (not opposed but don't believe in them) is still struggling with my decision. She, herself, really don't want me to get one but she will just follow what I want, for myself.

I am now on the second stage of CI assessment, but one thing is hitting me off is that "will the CI benefit me?" "what will happen if it fails?" and so many unanswered questions.

My speech and listening have dramatically improved in last 3 months when I started an extensive speech therapies and a new hearing aid "to practice for CI". I was able to order double cheeseburger meal for my maccas lunch. I am starting to interpret for my deaf friends, and I really love it. My audiologists and speech therapiest couldn't believe how fast I am improving lately, a new words I've learning how to speak every day. I was able to recognise many sounds with my hearing aid. I firmly believe that CI will be good for me, and I firmly want it.

My mother kept telling me "what if it fails?" "You can't assume that it will cure your deafness?" In reality, I think all of her information she have told me is a fifteen year information. She always remind me of my deaf friends whom their CI have failed, with damaged facial nerves, but I also try and remind her that all of my failed CI friends was operated 15 years ago. Nowadays, there are a technology to warn doctors whenever if they are cutting too close to my nerves.

In the conclusion, after my operation (which it could be held in Christmas holidays), I will still be using sign language but I am only asking for a CI to open more doors for me. According to my friends, peers, deaf community and my hearing friends, I am classified as "academically deaf". I do hard subjects at school, such as advanced english (grammar is still a problem, but I am doing well in Adv English anyway :P) and modern history. I believe that cochlear implant is vital for me, because I am aiming to go to university and gain a degree (or masters) on architecture.

Cochlear Implant do not cure my deafness, but I am just using it to open more doors, and reduce the communication barriers. Even after the switch on, I will be still a deaf person. No matter what. Just a signing deaf person who can talk.

I think I've given you enough information, whenever if CI would be good enough for me. Advices? Feedbacks? I am willing to listen your ideas, or whatever.

Honestly? Go for it. You sound like a very mature, educated, levelheaded and highly intelligent person. You've done your research and you know the risks. If you don't like it, you can always take it off. If this is what you really want, then give it a shot. I wish you the best.

Did you end up making a decision? Who are you dealing with, the SCIC?

like deafcarolina mentioned, i agree for 16 yrs old. :) it seems to me that you know the answer. Go for it. are you still in australia? i notice that you registered it in sept. what took you to make post within 3 months later?

As the above comments suggest getting a Cochlear Implant is very specific/personal. Much thought is "generated" as to potential "help" vs the possibility of being "rejected"-due to a variety of physical factors.

As every person who has gone on this journey will atest- the potential of "electronic hearing" vs remaining"deaf" is real. Failure is also possible as in any operation.

From my experience since becoming bilateral DEAF-December 20, 2006 and starting the process of determining whether I fit the criteria of getting a Cochlear Implant. The process started Feb/07. Successful- operation July 12, 2007.

Much success in your forthcoming journey.

like deafcarolina mentioned, i agree for 16 yrs old. :) it seems to me that you know the answer. Go for it. are you still in australia? i notice that you registered it in sept. what took you to make post within 3 months later?

Agreed here, too. This poster is old enough to consider all of the implications and decide for herself. She knows what her deafness means to her, and she knows best how she needs to address her deafness, so her autonomy is intact. She understands that a CI is just a tool and she doesn't appear to have the unreasonable expectations that comes with parental decision early implantion cases. She has been provided an appropriate language environment from the beginning, so the CI cannot be used as an excuse to keep her in an oral/auditory environment and create delays in her education and her language development. So, if she decides she wants the implant, go for it!

Hello guys! I am the same person who posted that thread.

I am sure that most of you are wondering over what is happening to me so far.

I was implanted in November 21st by Anthony Parker under NSU Brisbane Cochlear Implant Centre and was switched on only six days ago (December 5th). To tell you honest, I bloody love my first cochlear implant. I just could hear everything, and I am really grateful that I made this significant decision - on my own (with parents support of course).

Even though my audiologist have been warning me that there will be some occasions that I will hate my cochlear implant and stuff like that. To tell you honest, I have never had a headache, ear pains or whatever like that. No headaches so far, every morning I wake up, I would be excited to put my processor on and hear everything.

I'll tell you guys a bit about the switch on, during the switch on process - my audiologist was very shocked on how fast I was moving on with my cochlear implant. Right after the switch on, I understood the words straight away and heard all silent letters such as ssss, shhh, gh, f and like that. My audiologist was gobsmacked, in general.

Here are the results:

Before the Implant - 20% correct for understanding words with lipreading and without lipreading (with both hearing aids).

After the Implant - 90% correct for understanding words without lipreading. 100% correct with lipreading.

I have the left N5 Cochlear Implant, and since that it is VERY successful so far and to tell you honest, I am already thinking about to get second one and go bilateral. But I already know that it is too early anyway but I want to hear even more and benefit from it even more.

I have another appointment in two days time, on Monday, for second mapping appointment to map my cochlear implant to suit my deafness level and stuff like that. I already forsee a bright future working as an architect with my cochlear implant.

Thank you guys for your comments, advices, feedbacks and stuff like that. :)

[EDIT: Anthony Parker is one of the top cochlear implant surgeon in Australia with an understanding of sign language, and deaf culture. My audiologist's mother work at Toowong State School as a Auslan teacher assistant so which means my audiologist already know the importance of sign language and also the importance of bilingualism (oral and sign).

No, I got the Freedom cochlear implant with N5 speech processor. I thought that it is most logical way to get the Freedom implant and N5 processor because freedom implant is better than N5 implant while N5 speech processor is better than Freedom processor. :)

Hey Username, that is great news! Please keep us updated on your success! Best of luck :)

That sounds good. how did your parents feel about it after you got it. i m sure they are happy to know you are ok now.
curious you seem to be a bright person. how come you did not post the other threads or stick around ? all of a sudden, you just showed up, telling about your ci story and then you disappear again. i dont know what does this mean or whats going on.

That sounds good. how did your parents feel about it after you got it. i m sure they are happy to know you are ok now.
curious you seem to be a bright person. how come you did not post the other threads or stick around ? all of a sudden, you just showed up, telling about your ci story and then you disappear again. i dont know what does this mean or whats going on.

:hmm:

Several things seemed a bit contrived.

most of aders have CI here so thought OP would be more curious about other ADers but apparently OP isnt.

I know deaf bilingual adults who got implanted, some of them are fine with it, but it's something weird with this poster. Reminds me of the alter ego rockdrummer came up with when dropping out of AD.

That's why I'm no audist, multiple personal disorders scares me.

I know deaf bilingual adults who got implanted, some of them are fine with it, but it's something weird with this poster. Reminds me of the alter ego rockdrummer came up with when dropping out of AD.

That's why I'm no audist, multiple personal disorders scares me.

me too about the multiple personal disorder. :shock:

What the...? WHY would she want to stick around when this is the kind of reception she gets from the forum when she does post?

I don't speak for Username obviously... But, maybe she came on here to read about others' experiences relating to CIs, then she posted asking for some advice... made up her mind to get the implant, then went ahead with the surgery and subsequent recovery, has been busy with the "switch on" and learning to hear with her new implant? Who knows what else she has in her life that's important to her or what she focuses on? Should some random people she doesn't know on a message board take higher priority in her life than the friends she has in real life, or school?

Not everybody goes on forums or checks them daily... I would personally say forums are huge time wasters if used excessively, maybe there are other priorities or more important things in life than checking a forum?

The criticism is completely uncalled for and unwarranted... she has been polite and courteous enough to provide feedback and her experience after asking for advice, she wasn't obligated to do that by any means and she isn't obligated to post in other sections of the forums to appease others.

Back