Closed Captioning hits Google Video!

LakeTahoe

Reaction score
September 19, 2006

Closed Captioning Hits Google Video
By Nicholas Carlson

Google has begun providing closed captions for selected videos in its Google Video database, internetnews.com has learned.

The service went live last night, a Google spokesperson confirmed.

The videos with close captioning range from content produced by Nova to user-created media, typical to Web 2.0's video platforms.

Now the hearing impaired can enjoy the intricacies of such titles as "motocross crash at greenvalleys extreme park."

The measure to increase accessibility to Google content comes a little more than a month after the company announced Google Accessible Search, a way for the visually impaired to find Web sites friendly to their needs.

But the service could also provide Google some differentiation from rivals amid an explosion of video over the Web, not to mention user-generated video sites.

Market leader YouTube has spent the last sixth months fending off copyright suits and adding produced content through partnerships with traditional media outlets such as NBC and Warner Music Group.

Even today, Microsoft announced its own entrant into the space with its Soapbox, an addendum to their MSN Video product.

YouTube leads the user-generated video market, with greater market share than MySpace, Google, and Yahoo as of August 16, according to Hitwise market research.

Meta-search engines such as Pixsey.com and AOL's video crawl the Internet to bring all its burgeoning content together. But video search remains difficult because unlike Web search, there typically isn’t any text for crawlers to recognize.

Closed Captioning Hits Google Video

Official Google Video Blog: Finally, Caption Playback

Selected Videos with Captions - Google Video

That is great !!!!!! Google is taking it a step further. I know they are new at making closed captioning. All they have to do is remove the hard to see website commerical next to the closed captioning .....

Scuba Diving in Thailand and Burma - Google Video

Then Google will be good to go with closed captioned programming.

WOW! What a beautiful video!!! I love the music! I have no problem reading CC! I was looking for CC then I saw 'button' that says CC. So I clicked and it showed up. AWESOME!!!!!!!!

That is great !!!!!! Google is taking it a step further. I know they are new at making closed captioning. All they have to do is remove the hard to see website commerical next to the closed captioning .....

Scuba Diving in Thailand and Burma - Google Video

Then Google will be good to go with closed captioned programming.

wow this comes to my rescue. i will assure my investment in it. :) because i missed alot of my favorites on tv like NOVA and many sciences.

wow this comes to my rescue. i will assure my investment in it. :) because i missed alot of my favorites on tv like NOVA and many sciences.

I felt the same way , man !!!! When National Geographic was not closed captioned way back then, I don't think the Discovery Channel and The History Channel was even around at that time. I do remember the PBS and National Geographic though. Now NOVA is closed captioned. That is gonna be very interesting and probably will end up being one of my favorite t.v. shows. :D

I felt the same way , man !!!! When National Geographic was not closed captioned way back then, I don't think the Discovery Channel and The History Channel was even around at that time. I do remember the PBS and National Geographic though. Now NOVA is closed captioned. That is gonna be very interesting and probably will end up being one of my favorite t.v. shows. :D

Let you know that Apple and Google joined together to get more video and music. No clue what will they want something for future? iTune still not have closed caption yet. But videos in Google is wonderful to have closed captions. I wish all History, National Geographic, PBS, and Discovery to have them hopefully.

Closed caption is too small! I tired click "Full" not work

FYI: the video Heath posted doesn't have any speech in it. The "captions" are just supplemental text. Still, if that's how captions can show up on future videos, I think it looks pretty good!

Once there is CC optional to support, it's person responsible to add subtitle since Google cannot help to fix for you. Had to do lot of job, or even hiring someone to do for you.

Banjo is one of example who did a excellent and hard job to provide vblog inlcude subtitle.

I'm try to learn to use subtitle insert in quicktime movie without any fancy program since I'm on Mac what google offer free program is for PC. Once I'm ready, I could upload video at google video, if they will support quicktext from QuickTime.

That is awesome! I'm going to love watching the NOVA ones!

Once there is CC optional to support, it's person responsible to add subtitle since Google cannot help to fix for you. Had to do lot of job, or even hiring someone to do for you.

Banjo is one of example who did a excellent and hard job to provide vblog inlcude subtitle.

I'm try to learn to use subtitle insert in quicktime movie without any fancy program since I'm on Mac what google offer free program is for PC. Once I'm ready, I could upload video at google video, if they will support quicktext from QuickTime.
I apologise for re-opening an old thread. How did you get on with this project ? I have recently been doing some similar work on a very low budget and would gladly pass on info about how I did it if you want to know.

Michael

how can you find out which clips have closed captions?

Great idea from Google!

Back