Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

nope. you don't pay for it. that would be immoral of them to do that cuz it's like charging handicapped people a fee for using special stair lift.
I never forget that a long time ago we, deaf people had to pay for two items, a TTY plus a phone and also a CC decoder plus a TV while hearing people just bought one item.

June 1, 2013 Tidbits - YouTube

He talked to the theater manager about the problem. Watch his video from 5:30 to 15:25 regarding Sony-DV. The glasses have to be re-charged for three hours. Some of them are broken. Worth it? Screw Regal!

Ambrosia,

Come up to Western NY, we'll go to Regal Cinema together! :lol: You can bring your kids. We'll test out those glasses and see how they really work for us.

Funny reading your comments about your ex-husband as that's my biggest fear with women.

I have gone to the movies with my daughter and her friends (Wreck it Ralph, Calvin and the chipmunks), but never once was able to enjoy it because of the lack of open captions. I have never gone to a movie theater that actually had open caption. As I just recently learned it can be turned on or off at the movie theaters. Just not in 3D, but like you I could care less about 3D. Give me too much of a headache, personally.

I already deal with not being able to follow conversations with 'so called' friends I have. Funny thing is, I always invited myself to their parties. I haven't seen any of them over a year, and they never once asked if I'd like to join them. Seems I need a new set of friends who wouldn't mind calling me for once and say 'Hey we going out tonight, wanna come?'

So tired of being left out. My mother's biggest fear is I will isolate myself from every single person around me. Seems it's coming true. Nobody ever seems to understand and bitches when I don't 'get with the program'.

What? Regal Elmwood now only offers with CC glasses? Is open CC still running there without it? I am not a fan of new CC glasses because of germ on it and little annoying to me in some ways. The last time I was there at Regal Elmwood I think it was 2 years ago or so.

June 1, 2013 Tidbits - YouTube

He talked to the theater manager about the problem. Watch his video from 5:30 to 15:25 regarding Sony-DV. The glasses have to be re-charged for three hours. Some of them are broken. Worth it? Screw Regal!

Yeah, lol just little off the point on this...yeah, about CODA working there wanted to take over interpreting for him....if that were me, I would feel uncomfortable and little turn off. Some CODAs cannot be always trusted. =/

I haven't been able to see if the Regal Elmwood has it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I checked online and they say they do have them.

I just need a date to go with. hehe

New Closed-Captioning Glasses Help Deaf Go Out To The Movies : All Tech Considered : NPR

I have yet to find a theater that offers anything more than a set of headphone for the HoH. I've seen glasses like these mentioned on here before but they don't have them around me. This is good new though!! They're distributing them to 6000 theaters across the country, I'll have to find out if there's a Regal Cinamea by me :)

I live in the Atlanta area and my fiancé and I wanted to see Jurassic Park in 3D. I saw that Regal theaters had the captioned glasses so my fiancé, who is hearing, called to see if the theaters near us (who were advertised to have the captioned glasses) had the captioned glasses. Nobody he talked to had any clue about any sort of accessibility devices. When he asked if they had anything for Deaf patrons the lady told him that they have headphones. He laughed and explained that headphones won't really help a deaf person and Regal theaters has promised to have the captioned glasses in all their theaters.
The workers he talked to had no clue and didn't seem to want to have a clue about devices that would allow more patrons to have access to movies.

Really, if a theater near us had the captioned glasses, they would have our business at least once a week. We see previews of movies we want to see but we know we have to wait so that I can enjoy the movie also. And, my fiancé has gotten so used to watching tv and movies with captions that he feels weird without captions.

Closed Captions make hearing people better readers, if they ever think about it.

I can read so fast because of the caption, I don't even need to read it anymore. I just catch a word and i see the entire sentence.

I didn't like the glasses. They hurt my nose and I couldn't have the words on the screen. If I prefer the Doremi Captiview system. I would love to go to open captions but they don't show them anymore. I travel a bit out of my way to go to the only Lowes theater in my area just to use the Captiview. I saw the Hobbit with Sony's glasses and my nose hurt so bad after about an hour. I ended up having to hold the glasses off my nose for the remaining 2 hours. Its great to have options, but I think Sony could have made a lighter unit.

I tried CC glasses before, and I felt a bit weird but it was really useful. I saw very few grammar errors, but they didn't bother me anyway.

Closed Captions make hearing people better readers, if they ever think about it.

I can read so fast because of the caption, I don't even need to read it anymore. I just catch a word and i see the entire sentence.

Me, too. Sometimes, I have to read sentences if I feel so tired. So, mostly, I read faster enough to see everyone said. :)

And, my fiancé has gotten so used to watching tv and movies with captions that he feels weird without captions.

:laugh2: Happens to almost everyone I know (family and friends) Once I introduce them to the powers of captions they like it so much that they start using it! I remember after I moved my parents home to my own apartment and then came to visit my parents a year later I was surprised to see that I didn't have to turn the captions on their TV. :eek3:

As it turns out even hearing people miss out on words and they told me that even though the audio's good the problem is that sometimes the actors don't speak quite right and you can't get everything.

I think surround sound causes problems, if they have it. It tends to make all the environmental sounds louder, foot steps, explosions, music, but it doesn't really help with voices.

I live in the Atlanta area and my fiancé and I wanted to see Jurassic Park in 3D. I saw that Regal theaters had the captioned glasses so my fiancé, who is hearing, called to see if the theaters near us (who were advertised to have the captioned glasses) had the captioned glasses. Nobody he talked to had any clue about any sort of accessibility devices. When he asked if they had anything for Deaf patrons the lady told him that they have headphones. He laughed and explained that headphones won't really help a deaf person and Regal theaters has promised to have the captioned glasses in all their theaters.
The workers he talked to had no clue and didn't seem to want to have a clue about devices that would allow more patrons to have access to movies.

Really, if a theater near us had the captioned glasses, they would have our business at least once a week. We see previews of movies we want to see but we know we have to wait so that I can enjoy the movie also. And, my fiancé has gotten so used to watching tv and movies with captions that he feels weird without captions.

You got to wonder who decided that would be a good idea, something that could help Hoh/deaf people....volume is not the only issue peeps, plus if you wear HAs and you put those over them all you'll get is an insane amount of feedback.

You got to wonder who decided that would be a good idea, something that could help Hoh/deaf people....volume is not the only issue peeps, plus if you wear HAs and you put those over them all you'll get is an insane amount of feedback.

You got that right! I hate feedback.

That's why I got boots that connect directly to my hearing aids. Absolutely no feedback what so ever and much better for me.

Took me 2 years of researching to find them. Only I had to buy them from a company in England, because the American Company wanted to sell the 3 piece for $250!! (the wire and 2 boots) Greedy buggers.

I ended up paying $80 for the wire and the 2 boots. I had a hearing friend who lives in England who came overseas to order them for me. They work great. Plus I had the choice of open mic, or close mic. I choose the close mic. I can actually use them while cutting the grass and it blocks the lawnmower's noise, since my hearing aids acts as hear plugs. haha

Picture of my Ipod Nano with the Wire/boots connected to my left hearing aid.

bNDtWp7.jpg

The company I brought them from was Connevans Limited. They were very helpful on getting me the correct Boots I needed, since there were 3 different types.

I don't have them :( but I think my loss is so bad now that they wouldn't help anyway :(

I don't have them :( but I think my loss is so bad now that they wouldn't help anyway :(

I have DAI boots and I love them for music.
The only problem I have is with the leads that connect the boots to the sound source. Mine split awkwardly just before they get to my head and it is just weird.

I got them and they are very good. You need the FM program in the Naidas and that can be programmed so you can hear it as good as you can. It's separate to your other program's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
So I got a ticket at my locally mismanaged Regalplex. The first pair didn't work. The second pair did not work. And the third pair...you guessed it. A LOT of going up and down the escalator from my auditorium to the customer service desk just to end up NOT watching the movie.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

So I got a ticket at my locally mismanaged Regalplex. The first pair didn't work. The second pair did not work. And the third pair...you guessed it. A LOT of going up and down the escalator from my auditorium to the customer service desk just to end up NOT watching the movie.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android
Wow! I guess Sony-DV has more negative reviews than before. I think it's time to switch back to open captioning. Captionfish.com should include customer reviews so Regal and/or FCC could read them about those bad technologies/products.

Back