Ci

Belinda Dill

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm back! I had been busy lately. Now, im considering about having a coclear implant. are they worthy to you?
i have been long discovering and exploring before ill make up my mind as go ahead and have done.
I know some of you already have CI.- so how do you like them? What do you hear like as well feel like?
Thank you,
belinda:wave::lol::P:ty::hmm:

Hi BD,

My CI was worth it due to more access to sounds. At first the surgeon was bit negative and said I may only get access to environmental sounds since I was born profoundly deaf and had no Auditory memory. I am now just nearly 2 years post switch on (20th August) I can hear far beyond my expectations. I like it because I can hear things hearing people take for granted such as birds singing/hearing waterfall from distance. On some days it's quite tiring to hear all the time so I take them off for short break but it's rare as I got used to it.

It's good that you are researching, I would suggest you to write down Pros and Cons.

If you do go ahead, Keep your expectations LOW and don't hope for miracles, work hard with your Audiologist/hearing therapy, attend to appointments as you require to do. And GOOD LUCK..... :)

Whether a CI is worthwhile, depends on basically a couple of factors.

1) Your expectations.
2) What one can do with it even if it doesn't quite meet your expectations.
3) Adaptability.

Know this, everybody is different and some do great, some do okay, and some don't do so well. It can be a mixed bag and unfortunately, no guarantees.

I love mine and it has been great journey so far (5 plus years). Essentially, my CI has allowed me to participate in the hearing world on their terms. Use the phone easily, do conference calls, talk around corners, and on it goes. I generally don't notice that I'm wearing one.

Hi Belinda: Because of the high cost-$55,000. of an Implant-here in Ontario covered by OHIP ( provincial health plan) on my behalf. Much was discussed BEFORE surgery re expectations/ recovery from surgery-your health and type of deafness. The key, I understand is what did you do to deal with your Hearing loss. I took Hearing Help classes at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto.Speech reading Coping etc.
Considering that Sunnybrook/Toronto has implanted only 850 persons over the last 18 years with a rejection rate of over 60%. Not exactly a casual conversation.
This all happened over 3 years ago. for me. So far-I have been informed by almost everyone who knew before when I used the Hearing aids, I am actually picking up much more this implant.
The audiologist discovered one of the events I frequently went to-Singles dances-actually speeded up having my brain "accepting" this Implant. Thus decreased "rehab" appointment. I actually went to a dance 3 days after activation. Strange sounds!

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria -activated Aug/07.

Belinda,

FYI, I've been hearing better and have also been told by some that my communication has improved since I got the CI two years ago.

Hi Belinda: Because of the high cost-$55,000. of an Implant-here in Ontario covered by OHIP ( provincial health plan) on my behalf. Much was discussed BEFORE surgery re expectations/ recovery from surgery-your health and type of deafness. The key, I understand is what did you do to deal with your Hearing loss. I took Hearing Help classes at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto.Speech reading Coping etc.
Considering that Sunnybrook/Toronto has implanted only 850 persons over the last 18 years with a rejection rate of over 60%. Not exactly a casual conversation.
This all happened over 3 years ago. for me. So far-I have been informed by almost everyone who knew before when I used the Hearing aids, I am actually picking up much more this implant.
The audiologist discovered one of the events I frequently went to-Singles dances-actually speeded up having my brain "accepting" this Implant. Thus decreased "rehab" appointment. I actually went to a dance 3 days after activation. Strange sounds!

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria -activated Aug/07.

yikes! 55,000.00 ! its like you can buy older home for the price! why fortune on CI???

Have had mine active about 4.5 months or so and wish I had gotten it years ago! If I get a chance for second one, I would do it in a heart beat! Wonderful to hear all the sounds again and be able to join in on the conversations and groups.

DeafDoc can give expert, professions advice on the subject of CI.
In another word, he's an expert on CI's? Like a doctor or something? Does he have a CI himself? Perhaps, a surgeon? Or does he work for a cochlear company, etc?

The figure of $55,000.00 CDN is the total cost- 3 years ago. Implant/Surgery/Dr fees/Hospital care/Audiologists services. The 850 implant operations was of last year. Sunnybrook were "chosen" for a large section of southern Ontario -18 years ago. If accepted OHIP picks up the entire fee. As I said above not exactly a casual conversation. Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant team has to pick the persons who they think can benefit from the Cochlear Implant operation. A lot of checking is done! The rejection rate for one reason or other is 60%.

Back