CI users

NickCameron1031

Reaction score
I am going this week to get tested and to see if I am a candidate for a CI. I haven't decided if am going to get one yet I just want to see. My audiogram a week ago is a total flat line I have no residual hearing left at all. I was wondering what the tests are like. What do they do? How do they determine if you are or are not a candidate. Some input please from current CI users would be cool. Please no for or anti CI stuff. I am just exploring options at this point.

Thanks

Nick

You have to have a CT scan, exam and you have the audiogram. This is how my testing went. I had to repeat the audiogram witht he CI audie. She tested with my hearing aids and without. I had to do the tone test, CNT words, and phrases, and sentences. This is just normal audiogram testing.

Then I had a CT scan on my ears. By the time I saw the doctor that afternoon, he already knew I was a candiate. After the physical exam, it was time to pick out the brand of CI and submit insurance.

Mine took one day, from what I hear, most doctors and audies take longer for all the steps. My advice be open and honest with them and have realistic expectations.

The E,N,T doctor basically will ask you alot about your youth history - early years questions. Like "How well did you hear as a young child" or "what were you able to hear when you were younger" and similar questions.
Hope this helps you.

You have to have a CT scan, exam and you have the audiogram. This is how my testing went. I had to repeat the audiogram witht he CI audie. She tested with my hearing aids and without. I had to do the tone test, CNT words, and phrases, and sentences. This is just normal audiogram testing.

Then I had a CT scan on my ears. By the time I saw the doctor that afternoon, he already knew I was a candiate. After the physical exam, it was time to pick out the brand of CI and submit insurance.

Mine took one day, from what I hear, most doctors and audies take longer for all the steps. My advice be open and honest with them and have realistic expectations.

My experience was just exactly as you have went through. Which hospital did you get CI implantation? I remember that day when they let me pick the colors, for some odd reason - I was a bit excited like a kid in a candy shop. But other than that, I had to wait for a hour before I saw the doctor for he had a meeting with the panel of all the audiologist, assistant doctors, and whomever else was involved in the process to discuss whether if I was a candidate.

I researched in Feb and got the implant in April . So, I did extensive research and a lot of phone calls to all 3 companies. I went to a university hospital for my CI. got an audiogram done, MRI done of my ear and a "dizzzy" test done. I declined the psychology asssessment ( didn't need it } . Surgery was done, then got the processor hooked up 3 weeks later. I was very dizzy for a few weeks. Not much pain. Ony took 4 pain pills, just regular asprins.

Let us know how you progress. do ask questions and DO TAKE YER TIME. Don't be pressured to do anything till you are ready and comfortable...

Back