CI surgeon appt

lovezebras

Reaction score
So met with the CI surgeon who was SO much nicer than his audiologist! Anyway we talked about my hearing loss and he wants to do genetic testing so I has a bunch of blood taken today. He seemed a bit baffled that my ENT never did this before...he also is requesting my MRIs/CT scans from children's hospital where they were done and I have a hearing test again on Monday mainly for my word scores to see where they are and hopefully if they are low enough I will qualify :) which makes me happy because at this point I'm frustrated and miserable and have been anti-social because of not being able to hear...I've also dropped my nursing program as well because I can't auscultate or hear my patients if it's noisy.

Last edited:
AliciaM finally getting the "final step" in your Cochlear Implantation. Hopefully successful for you.

So Had a full hearing test today and my word scores did go down I think my left ear was like 70 percent and my right ear was 66 so i'm still a bit over for the candidate requirements..so I'm not sure if they will implant or not. I am still severe/profound too obviously with 2 NR's

When do you find out? If you are not a candidate again, are they able to adjust your HAs to help with noise. Different Audi maybe able to do some different, maybe, I'm not sure.

Hope things work out for you either way :)

When do you find out? If you are not a candidate again, are they able to adjust your HAs to help with noise. Different Audi maybe able to do some different, maybe, I'm not sure.

Hope things work out for you either way :)

I was wrong lol I'm 66 percent in both ears ...but I have another appt with the surgeon in 2 weeks so I guess I'll know more then :) My Audi adjusted my ha's yesterday...they still sound meh to me but what can ya do..

I was wrong lol I'm 66 percent in both ears ...but I have another appt with the surgeon in 2 weeks so I guess I'll know more then :) My Audi adjusted my ha's yesterday...they still sound meh to me but what can ya do..

No that's a shame HAs don't sound any better :/

Hope you qualify for CI or if not then be allowed to get a UP Naida in your left, so you can do your nursing.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've dropped your nursing programme Alicia, although I completely understand your reasons for doing so. I changed from general nurse training to mental health for the same reasons. Although I finished the course and am now a qualified mental health nurse I have never actually practiced as a nurse. I get the impression that universities are only too keen to accept 'disabled' students on to their courses, but when it comes to the practicalities they rarely provide the necessary accommodations and support.

I've never been genetically tested either, even though in my dad's family we have at least four generations where there has been someone deaf from childhood. I suppose in my case the NHS believes there's not much point in them spending money carrying out tests to tell us something we already know!

Good luck in your attempt to get a CI. :)

No that's a shame HAs don't sound any better :/

Hope you qualify for CI or if not then be allowed to get a UP Naida in your left, so you can do your nursing.

speaking of the UPs, maybe she can grab her old one and put it in her left. that's what I would do if I were her LOL :3

Was this in Ottawa? Good luck with everything!!!

I been waiting for my 1st CI appointment at Sunnybrook and for genetic testing, too. When I asked my ENT for that he told me to get it down at Sunnybrook. ENTs!

AliciaM how are you feeling about all this? Are you truly dissapointed? I am sorry cos you sounded really excited to take the CI step. Like I said, I never wore hearing aids since my hearing loss was traumatic and a total loss. I can however understand your frustrations with those hearing tests. They absolutely drive me crazy. I hope you get the news you desire and soon. I know for me, it is really hard to sit back and have hearing people tell me what I should be hearing when I am not. I believe if your hearing loss is affecting your life, then a CI should be considered. Just wanted you to know ai was thinking about you and hope you get the news you want. Good luck!!!

AliciaM how are you feeling about all this? Are you truly dissapointed? I am sorry cos you sounded really excited to take the CI step. Like I said, I never wore hearing aids since my hearing loss was traumatic and a total loss. I can however understand your frustrations with those hearing tests. They absolutely drive me crazy. I hope you get the news you desire and soon. I know for me, it is really hard to sit back and have hearing people tell me what I should be hearing when I am not. I believe if your hearing loss is affecting your life, then a CI should be considered. Just wanted you to know ai was thinking about you and hope you get the news you want. Good luck!!!

Yes it's very frustrating that people are like well your word scores aren't terrible! Um exuse me I can't use the phone, being around noise makes
me wanna pull my hair out..audis and CI doctors need to remember that what you hear in a booth isn't realistic! I've had to drop out of a program I love and I used to be such a social person and now I struggle in even small groups ..I HATE noise and it mostly just pains me that Im not as social with my family which stinks because my family is so important to me! And I love playing and being with my cousins ...the fact that I don't have umpteens amount of money to try every ultra power hearing aid out there I would but Ive gone through 4 sets of hearing aids in 5 years I don't want to struggle with hearing aids anymore I want something more...

Was this in Ottawa? Good luck with everything!!!

I been waiting for my 1st CI appointment at Sunnybrook and for genetic testing, too. When I asked my ENT for that he told me to get it down at Sunnybrook. ENTs!

Yes in Ottawa :)

Can understand where you are coming from. Hopefully the surgeon will over ride things and help you out :)

Yes it's very frustrating that people are like well your word scores aren't terrible! Um exuse me I can't use the phone, being around noise makes
me wanna pull my hair out..audis and CI doctors need to remember that what you hear in a booth isn't realistic! I've had to drop out of a program I love and I used to be such a social person and now I struggle in even small groups ..I HATE noise and it mostly just pains me that Im not as social with my family which stinks because my family is so important to me! And I love playing and being with my cousins ...the fact that I don't have umpteens amount of money to try every ultra power hearing aid out there I would but Ive gone through 4 sets of hearing aids in 5 years I don't want to struggle with hearing aids anymore I want something more...

I understand completely!! The beeping I can pick up fine but I can't make out voices these days. And I'm a good guesser with the words on the test as I've been tested so many times. I hope they consider that the booth is not the same as real life. Good luck! :lol:

I can tell that a CI is going to happen for you. It will very likely solve the problems you are describing above assuming all goes well. Going through hearing aids at this stage is definitely a waste of money and time.

Most of the implantees I know all report returning to being their social-selves. I am no longer fearful of approaching or being approached by new people not knowing how well I would be able to speech-read them. I know there are a number of nurses with CIs who were able to continue with their career, so you may be able to get back on track once you get through the process.

Best wishes to you!

Back