CI sound quality compared to hearing-aid days

Since having made the decision to literally sacrifice all of my remaining hearing (and I definitely have some!) in the hopes of something better, sometimes I wonder if I've gone completely insane. I have to be very honest and say that despite my optimism and the abundance of encouragement by others, this is not exactly the most reassuring time of my life. It is so easy to wonder "what if..." and imagine scenarios such as disliking CI sound forever, or going completely deaf.

I am very fortunate for this network of support and I thank everyone here for that.

- Steve
Surgery: 2/29/08
Activation: 3/10/08
Advanced Bionics
Ruminator's Ruminatings

Well Steve, its the 29th February here now in the Land of the Long White Cloud (New Zealand) I dont know how far behind us you are timewise but I guess you must be getting close to your hospital stay, or running around screaming mad....lol

Only ten days until I face the same

anyway best of luck and lets know how it goes asap
Raywyn

Ruminator post back in a month, hope we can say "I told you so"

Everyone here wishes you the best, and you can answer your own questions, how does it sound and is it worth it.

I won't wish you good luck, don't think you need, luck is not involved.

... I have to be very honest and say that despite my optimism and the abundance of encouragement by others, this is not exactly the most reassuring time of my life. It is so easy to wonder "what if..." and imagine scenarios such as disliking CI sound forever, or going completely deaf.

I am very fortunate for this network of support and I thank everyone here for that.

I quite understand your feelings...been there and done that.

It wasn't exactly a cakewalk for myself in the days up to having my surgery. I had all kinds of doubts and concerns. But I really didn't have a choice as I wanted to stay in the hearing world whatever the cost.

Best of success in your endeavors...keep us informed.

Well Steve, its the 29th February here now in the Land of the Long White Cloud (New Zealand) I dont know how far behind us you are timewise but I guess you must be getting close to your hospital stay, or running around screaming mad....lol

Only ten days until I face the same

anyway best of luck and lets know how it goes asap
Raywyn

You're getting implanted? We should congrat you on your upcoming surgery!

You're getting implanted? We should congrat you on your upcoming surgery!

Yes I am indeedy.....have mentioned it a couple of times in others threads but not started one of my own.......think I'll go and do that right now.

Can't blah-blah-blah enough -- hungry for these sort of details, and I like the way you described the HA versus CI comparison.

Really been flip-flopping between the left and right the last week or two. I wish I had three ears!

CI Surgery: 2/29/08
Advanced Bionics
Ruminator's Ruminatings

Do both like me!

No comparing the sound quality - CI hands down. I never had high frequency, and now I am picking up the high tones and I understand speak better. It is not just loud. I pick up th sounds. That is one of the hardest sounds to pick up on the speech banana. I also can prounounce it correctly.

Surgey's done!

Everything went well, Dr. was very pleased, and were no problems! We're pretty tuckered out and are just now getting ready to hit the sack, so I'll post again tomorrow to tell everyone all about it.

Implanted 2/29/08
Activation date 3/10/08
Advanced Bionics
Ruminator's Ruminatings

Glad the surgery went smoothly. Well, you know what we are going to say now? Come on everyone...one...two..three... "You have been assimilated into the collective. Resistance is futile. Welcome to the dark side!" <Dr Evil laugh> :giggle:

Everything went well, Dr. was very pleased, and were no problems! We're pretty tuckered out and are just now getting ready to hit the sack, so I'll post again tomorrow to tell everyone all about it.

Whoops, I forgot to share details of surgery here! Here's a condensed version of how it all went:

The surgery went well. We got to the hospital at 6:30, they brought me back for all sorts of pre-op at 7, surgery commenced at 9:05, and was over at 11:00. After being dripped three strong pain medications and resting a while in the recovery room, we left the hospital at around 2:45. The doctor said he was very happy with how everything went and there were no complications. I also seem to have eluded infection, so all the better.

It's nine days after surgery as I write. I now have a small bump in the side of my head just above my ear that is still tender to the touch. I've also been having occasional pronounced dizzy spells daily since last Thursday. Localized numbness and a slightly off taste on the left are also present. I understand that all these things are normal.

Well, tomorrow afternoon is when they finally throw the switch and begin feeding auditory signals to my brain! Wowza!

I'll try to bring my camera to record a video, but no promises.

Implanted: 2/29/08
Advanced Bionics
Ruminator's Ruminatings

Last edited:
I just added you as a friend on Livejournal, even though I use my blog for any and all deaf/CI related posts. Since I am considering getting the AB implant for myself whenever that happens, might as well keep in contact with other AB users, get input from them and just follow their experiences. :) Glad to hear things are going well!

Looking forward to reading your report about activation!

OK... verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting.

This report is based only on the very first day. I've only been hearing with the implant less than 4 hours:

Some women's voices sound fairly good, but some sound pretty scratchy. Men's voices are mostly poor. No one sounds good enough, yet, for me to understand without lipreading.

My own voice, however, is the worst of all by far! I sound like an extremely poorly digitized Darth Vader. Nothing I say sounds anything even remotely close to how I should sound. As a matter of fact, every word I say sounds like other words entirely. And sometimes when I say, for example, a two-syllable word in which the first syllable is accented, the processor makes it sound like I accented the second syllable. Argh!

Overall, everything sounds as though the processor is set to receive primarily the highs and lows, but very little of the mid-range. It makes most things sound pretty lame, missing this vital mid-range.

And finally, I am getting the awful -bing suffix appended at the end of every sound. It sounds like every sound, and every syllable, just ricocheted off a pinball machine bumper making an echo-y Ding! in response.

The audiologist's voice seemed easier to understand than my wife's. Not sure why this is. The audiologist is also a woman. They must have different pitches. Also, some people sound a lot quieter than others, and some people are almost silent. It seems that in order to hear someone well, they need to be within arm's reach.

Certain sounds are really jarring, such as dishes in the kitchen. Holy cow!

I know it's only the first day. I know this takes times. I know things will improve. Just been a really interesting first day. So far, the way I used to hear with a hearing-aid is a million times better than how I currently hear with this CI. We'll see how much better this thing gets in the coming days. My next audiology appointment is in about 10 days.

Last edited:
Ohh my first day with CI guy voice sound good but female voices sounded AWFUL some end of word sound high pitched sound like feedback lol and nothing makes senses music sound like static, and constant strange sound going on all time but now I'm almost 1 month post-activation I got used to evironment sound and acknowledge what I'm hearing, speech is 5 times better now I can understand some of it with lipreading if I try really hard (remember I totally sucked at lipreading and have no clue what anything is going on so huge change for me lol) but if I know the subject and people talk slowly and look directly to me I'll understand 70-80% of what they're saying compared to no clue at all before ci lol. What you can do for now is to listen and learn like lipreading and listen very hard same time to memorize so when you look up to eyes you'll match up what it sound you remembr hearing. It helped me a lot

A pretty normal first day, I'd say. It's a good sign you are understanding some voices as terrible as they seem right now. It will likely get better as you enter the steep learning curve. Did your wife take photos and video? In my photos I was laughing because it sounded so terrible! Fortunately I was expecting it.

Great! Sounds like a "normal" first day.

Yeah, it took me a couple of days to get used to my own voice. It was weirder than anybody else at first. I felt if I had a disembodied voice coming from somewhere. :)

It wasn't speech that bothered me so much as all the rest of the sounds and LOUD at that like the toilet flushing and water coming out of the faucet. Cars and trucks were the worst...just roaring in my head. Thought I never get used to vehicle noises (it took about six months).

OK... verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting.

This report is based only on the very first day. I've only been hearing with the implant less than 4 hours:

Some women's voices sound fairly good, but some sound pretty scratchy. Men's voices are mostly poor. No one sounds good enough, yet, for me to understand without lipreading.

My own voice, however, is the worst of all by far! I sound like an extremely poorly digitized Darth Vader. Nothing I say sounds anything even remotely close to how I should sound. As a matter of fact, every word I say sounds like other words entirely. And sometimes when I say, for example, a two-syllable word in which the first syllable is accented, the processor makes it sound like I accented the second syllable. Argh!

Overall, everything sounds as though the processor is set to receive primarily the highs and lows, but very little of the mid-range. It makes most things sound pretty lame, missing this vital mid-range.

And finally, I am getting the awful -bing suffix appended at the end of every sound. It sounds like every sound, and every syllable, just ricocheted off a pinball machine bumper making an echo-y Ding! in response.

The audiologist's voice seemed easier to understand than my wife's. Not sure why this is. The audiologist is also a woman. They must have different pitches. Also, some people sound a lot quieter than others, and some people are almost silent. It seems that in order to hear someone well, they need to be within arm's reach.

Certain sounds are really jarring, such as dishes in the kitchen. Holy cow!

I know it's only the first day. I know this takes times. I know things will improve. Just been a really interesting first day. So far, the way I used to hear with a hearing-aid is a million times better than how I currently hear with this CI. We'll see how much better this thing gets in the coming days. My next audiology appointment is in about 10 days.

Glad to hear everything went well. The first days, week are no indication of what things are going to sound like for you. What is loud and screams at you now will be soft in a few days, that's just the first step.

What is very good is that you understand words right off the bat and have a good grasp of what you do hear ie. echoy, -bing, ding, etc. that will be very useful to help audi straighten out the problems later.

Seems a little funny that they turned you loose for ten days on your first map
I though everyone went back in a few days or a week most to reset levels and change the map.

You said things sound a million times better with aids, is that right before you got the CI or in days gone bye?

The famous quote "things will get better" to you and they will.

Best wishes

Man! The electrical simulation has been a rather frazzling and exhausting experience. I feel constantly and unpleasantly ON EDGE, like I need a fierce and sweaty game of racquetball to release all this energy pent-up in my nerves, which feel like they're about to start shooting sparks and electrocute people. Another way to describe it is it feels constantly as though I drank three cans of sugary caffeinated Jolt all at once.

Certainly this symptom will soon diminish... won't it? Today is my third full day as a borg.

Back