CI Robots?

Yep, it happens... because those people chose to be that way.

You are who you are.

If you're deaf and you have a deaf friend who is very close with you. One day, he gets CI and suddenly changes his personality... you shouldn't blame the fact that he got CI. You should blame the fact that he chose to change and not talk to you any more. Therefore, he's not a true friend. Let him go. :)

If this was said 7 months ago, I would have said impossible, but know I can see this happening. When I first got my CIs I was so excited, I wanted to share it with a teacher who is deaf at my school. She is not able to get a teaching job even with a master's degree because of her hearing. She wears one aid and you she uses ASL. She works as an assistant and runs our computer lab.

At first I think my peronality changed as well. BUT....I kept from saying anything to her except our normal conversations. She sent me a card at Christmas saying how happy she was for my hearing gain. It made me think, she is really happy for me and my choice. And you know what I am really happy for her choice. We may chose different path but we enjoy each other and our friendship. I don't need to put my CIs on anyone.

Sometimes it is a process of keeping your mouth shut and realizing my personal choice is that mine.

If this was said 7 months ago, I would have said impossible, but know I can see this happening. When I first got my CIs I was so excited, I wanted to share it with a teacher who is deaf at my school. She is not able to get a teaching job even with a master's degree because of her hearing. She wears one aid and you she uses ASL. She works as an assistant and runs our computer lab.

At first I think my peronality changed as well. BUT....I kept from saying anything to her except our normal conversations. She sent me a card at Christmas saying how happy she was for my hearing gain. It made me think, she is really happy for me and my choice. And you know what I am really happy for her choice. We may chose different path but we enjoy each other and our friendship. I don't need to put my CIs on anyone.

Sometimes it is a process of keeping your mouth shut and realizing my personal choice is that mine.

Yeah, but I think they are talking more about people who get a CI and then do not want anything to do with their old friends anymore rather than other personality changes such as becoming happier and more confident.

So as Vampy says, if friends reject you for whatever reason (whether it's because you got a CI or if they get a CI) they were never truly your friend in the first place, as the friendship was conditional.

I agree with some of the others and say the term Robot,towards CI users,was/is meant to be a negative pun.

Psycho-over-analysis is done by alot of people over something so simple,eh?
:D

I agree with some of the others and say the term Robot,towards CI users,was/is meant to be a negative pun.

Psycho-over-analysis is done by alot of people over something so simple,eh?
:D

I have to agree with both your ideas and the chuckles others had on such a funny subject. It reminds me of watching four guys in the SUB arguing about Goofy and Pluto. Since both were dogs, why didn't Goofy walk on all fours, and why didn't Pluto talk?

Goo-arsh, it was fun to speech-read until they started yelling and pushing, ha ha ha.

. . . he was like ya i can even go back and listen to ur convos..and i could feel that my cheeks went kinda red and my eyes were a bit bulgy cuz i thought he was serious!!! lol

Ha ha ha ha ha, that's a terrific joke! Li'l Italia thought she was busted . . . "Oh, my god! What did my sweetie and I SAY????"

I dont call them robots....I just think it is sad that those who turned their backs to their deaf friends just like those deaf people who turned their backs on their friend who got CIs. The world isnt perfect, oh well.

The friends you have in hs will probably not be the friends you have throughout your life. People do change, you Shel no longer live in the hearing community, you 'in effect' turned your back on that community when you embraced ASL and the deaf community. Your needs changed from what you grew up with to something else.

Why can a person who embraces their new hearing status not make the same decision type of change (only in reverse) without someone saying it's strange, perhaps the Deaf community was not really where they wanted to be from the start, even tho they were and are deaf without an implant.

It's not weird that some choose to move into a different world because all through life we all make choices and our needs and friends change with those choices. Not all deaf/hoh people need close contact with other deaf/hoh people.

The friends you have in hs will probably not be the friends you have throughout your life. People do change, you Shel no longer live in the hearing community, you 'in effect' turned your back on that community when you embraced ASL and the deaf community. Your needs changed from what you grew up with to something else.

Why can a person who embraces their new hearing status not make the same decision type of change (only in reverse) without someone saying it's strange, perhaps the Deaf community was not really where they wanted to be from the start, even tho they were and are deaf without an implant.

It's not weird that some choose to move into a different world because all through life we all make choices and our needs and friends change with those choices. Not all deaf/hoh people need close contact with other deaf/hoh people.

I still keep in touch with some old high school friends. I never told them that I would stop being their friends simply cuz they are hearing. In my post, I was talking about situations where people stop being other people's friends because of hearing status. Like one ADer shared her experiences about her deaf friends from another state rejecting her right there simply cuz she got a CI..same goes for vice versa. I never did that to my high school friends. I gradually grew apart from them but if I do get an email from them, I would still return their emails. I would never say, "No, I cant be friends with you nor I wont maintain contact with u just because u dont know sign language."

I am just more comfortable in a signing environment but that doesnt mean I completely totally reject the hearing community or non signers.

If we were to be a "robot" we would be on a program to be commanded. But we are not robots. The equipment that been attach to us is just a purpose to help us hear, walk, or use an arms any limps that need to be helped. If you were hit by a car and your arm been removed, how would u feel? Teachology have come a long way to help lot of people. I would call it a "gift".

I still keep in touch with some old high school friends. I never told them that I would stop being their friends simply cuz they are hearing. In my post, I was talking about situations where people stop being other people's friends because of hearing status. Like one ADer shared her experiences about her deaf friends from another state rejecting her right there simply cuz she got a CI..same goes for vice versa. I never did that to my high school friends. I gradually grew apart from them but if I do get an email from them, I would still return their emails. I would never say, "No, I cant be friends with you nor I wont maintain contact with u just because u dont know sign language."

I am just more comfortable in a signing environment but that doesnt mean I completely totally reject the hearing community or non signers.

Yep, I do agree with that. I would never stop be a friends to people who have false arm, legs or CI, I still treat them like a person and still be good friends no matter what the outcome would be. Life is too short to waste it.

This is just catching my attention.

I dont understand why they called them a "robot"? I'm an anti-CI, here, and still never call them "robot", besides, I truly don't think it is a polite word to call for. =/

CI is a tool for disability.
Metallic leg(s) for loss of leg(s).
A invented organ for tranforming an organ from a general organ crisis.
Go on.

So, I don't see how it can be a "robot" person...

As speaking of early implantment, it's totally bad idea. No more to say. Fraud doctors need to get ruin of! =/

Peace. No bashing, please. ^_^

I just think it's a throwback from the days when people didn't really understand what was involved with CIs and the concept of people being surgically implanted with "machines" was a scary idea. Heck, even I had a misconception at one time that it was brain surgery.

I think this is a common reaction. When IVF was first invented for example in the late 1970s, people had genuine concerns that it would create grossly abnormal freaks. Apparently when the first IVF baby was born, the doctors who pioneered it were holding their breaths, hoping that the baby would be "normal".

These days if someone uses the concept of a "CI robot", they are probably refering more in a cultural sense rather than literally a robot. That is, that those of us that get CIs are pandering to hearing culture and being their hearing wannabee robots rather than being our true, natural selves within deaf culture only.

Back