CI on TV show - What About Brian?

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I just turned TV on and a mother was asking the surgeon "how many weeks before the implant can be turned on?" and that got my attention...looked up synopsis for this show and it looks like a girl is getting a CI on this show, I think...synopsis said "ear surgery". The show is on right now (ABC).

So, wanted to let y'all know. :)

What About Brian
What About Finding Your Place... (New) 9:00 PM, 1 hr
Mon 02/12/2007
KGUN 9
Drama/Other
TVPG, English, 2007
No sooner does Bridget move into Brian's apartment than Brian, who's now the building manager, helps two attractive young women (Stacy Keibler and Jessica Szohr) move in downstairs. Meanwhile, Dave weighs the idea of moving back in with Deena to help out with their daughter's recovery from ear surgery; Nicole fantasizes about her "manny" (Tom Parker); and Adam makes a decision regarding his romantic life.
Cast & Credits: Barry Watson, Matthew Davis, Rick Gomez, Amanda Detmer, Rosanna Arquette

Okay, I watched the show. After the initial mention of ear surgery and when the implant would be turned on, there was no more mention of it in the show, the show mostly revolved around romance jealous and crap like that. Bleh.

Overall, the show sucks.

ci on show

I watch the show What About Brian a lot and I have to say that I was disappointed in how they handled it. They made it seem like the parents didn't research any other options at all. The dad mentioned once about the deaf culture being against the CI but the mom ruled and next thing you know they were getting their daughter an implant. I have been going crazy for the last few weeks since the audiologist said that we had the option of getting my son a cochlear implant. STILL can't decide!

Courtney

What About Brian Falsely Portrays Cochlear Implants

What About Brian's portrayal of Cochlear Implants, their activation, and the education and therapy of recipients was absurd. Either the writers did not research implants at all, or they were blatantly trying to submit an anti-CI message. I'm not sure which one it is, to be honest.

See my post on the issue at my blog if you are interested.

Turn On My Ears!: ABC's What About Brian - An Absurd Depiction of Cochlear Implants

Drews Dad Thanks for the link.I found some great short clips to send friends and family to help them understand more about CI. I dont think many get what a long procedure this is as I was invited to come over my friends and spend weekend after surgery-"we've got lots to catchup on"Ok maybe in about 3 to 6 months when hopefully brain makes ci hearing its own!

Soaps rarely ever handle life issues well. I think the same complaints could be made about other issues that they portray such as pregnancies, people in comas, rape etc. In other words, the storylines are highly unrealistic, and melodramatic, designed to win ratings rather than educate.

Let's hope that that's the last soap to try and deal with CIs for a while.

What About Brian isn't really a 'soap'. It's a regular sitcom show. My DH & I watch it. I only started watching it cause of Barry Watson, he's cuuuuuute & is from here, only 4-5 hrs away from me. :]

I think they did great making a story line having their youngest daughter being dx'd as Deaf & having her to get a CI. :]

I also watch Scrubs, and I was shocked when I watched tonight's show of a Deaf Dad & Son. The Drs JD & [shit, I forgot the other Dr's name] had the Janitor's help, as he knew some signs and talked with the Deaf Father asking if he would sign for his son to have CI, the Father said no, so I guess by the end of the show, either the Father gave in, or they called asking the Mother [I left to get something & missed a small part so I'm not sure..] I came back seeing that the boy was being wheeled out of the room on his way to the OR & then the 2 Drs, the Janitor and the Deaf Dad had a chat with the Deaf Dad thanking the 3 of them at the end. Anyone else see this?

Back