CI more than 20 years

cammomile

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know the long-term effects of CI.
Are there anybody here who has worn CI for more than 20 years?
Are there any body issue like bone growth or scarring inside the cochlea?

Just curious after reading some article about disadvantages of CI.

I'm considering to have a cochlear implant, but still doing some more research to decide whether to take it or not, but I do think I need it, because this hearing aids can't help me hear the phone.

Thank you very much!

I am the parent of a daughter who has had her ci for more than 20 years and know many others who have had their cis around the same length of time. None of these kids have had any long term issues.

If that is your concern then I would suggest contacting the implant manufacturers and your implant center for references to such long term users.
Good luck,
Rick

Cammomile: Cochlear Implants were experimental back 20-30 years ago according to Michael Chorost's book-Rebuilt. A history of his Implant and the persons involved in assembling implants back in the 80s.Interesting book especially with advent of lap top computers which made at the C I processor possible with rechargeable batteries.
You make mention that you want an Implant to hear on the phone. I have an Implant and can't hear on the phone. As mentioned before most of the patients-Sunnybrook/Toronto can't either. I just continued using my VCO/Text TTY.
Good luck on your ongoing studies on Cochlear Implants

Advanced Bionics-Harmony Atria-activated Aug/07

Just curious after reading some article about disadvantages of CI.

I'm considering to have a cochlear implant, but still doing some more research to decide whether to take it or not, but I do think I need it, because this hearing aids can't help me hear the phone.

Thank you very much!
I do know of some CI related forums that might help if you're interested? And could pm you some links if you want?

Further one shouldn't wait for extended longterm studies on deciding if an Implant can be of help "right now". A huge amount of info has already been collected which clearly shows a substantial benefit of one having an Implant to remaining "deaf" and using ASL. It is now no longer just "experimental". Just how it help you-discussion with your audiologist/surgeon. Good luck in your understanding.

Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria- activated Aug/07

I have had my implant for 15 years, I was the first North American child to be implanted with the 21 channel. I have had 2 upgrades and now am wearing the Freedom processor. I'm finding that I don't hear as well as I did, it might be my mapping. I'm a little frustrated at this time because I'm in my 2nd year of Nursing school and I'm hitting some obstacles. I have the best stethascope out there for CI's, but still can't hear well enough with it. I'm going to post on another forum about that.

Back