CI Mapping Advice...anyone relate?

Paullys50

Reaction score
Ok so I've been activated for 4 months now, things are doing well and I go in for another mapping in September. I'm trying to take some mental notes as I go for the next mapping as I can tell I'm starting to understand what I am hearing. Speech recognition is about 60%, better when it's a familiar voice and is talking at a slower pace. If I listen to an audio book (directly connected to my CI) and read along with it, my speech recognition is close to 100%. Anyway, here is my struggle...

Obvious sounds in the distance are extremely loud and obvious. But things I want to pay attention too like speech are very quiet and difficult to hear. Just last night I was in the living room and my fiance in the kitchen, a good 40 feet away. It seemed like every sound she made was as if she was right next to me. Kitchen cabinets, walking in her high heals, putting the dishes away...etc. This sound from a distance seemed to be right in my ear!

But, when she came over to talk to me, her speech was so quiet as if she was trying to talk to me from the kitchen even though she was 5 feet from me. Seems totally backward. It's seems sharp distinct sounds are over-powering while softer comfort sounds are a struggle.

Anyone else experience this? I know I need to communicate it to my audi, but if anyone has had a map change that improved this I'd like to know.

Med-El user for the record.

Thanks!

I have Cochlear brand. I experience the same things as you. I can hear my husband chewing from the family room but I can't hear the tv that is right in front of me. Do you have access to the volume and sensitivity controls? I found if I turn down the sensitivity it helps some.

Hopefully others with more positive experiences will post with some help. Good luck!!

Ok so I've been activated for 4 months now, things are doing well and I go in for another mapping in September. I'm trying to take some mental notes as I go for the next mapping as I can tell I'm starting to understand what I am hearing. Speech recognition is about 60%, better when it's a familiar voice and is talking at a slower pace. If I listen to an audio book (directly connected to my CI) and read along with it, my speech recognition is close to 100%. Anyway, here is my struggle...

Obvious sounds in the distance are extremely loud and obvious. But things I want to pay attention too like speech are very quiet and difficult to hear. Just last night I was in the living room and my fiance in the kitchen, a good 40 feet away. It seemed like every sound she made was as if she was right next to me. Kitchen cabinets, walking in her high heals, putting the dishes away...etc. This sound from a distance seemed to be right in my ear!

But, when she came over to talk to me, her speech was so quiet as if she was trying to talk to me from the kitchen even though she was 5 feet from me. Seems totally backward. It's seems sharp distinct sounds are over-powering while softer comfort sounds are a struggle.

Anyone else experience this? I know I need to communicate it to my audi, but if anyone has had a map change that improved this I'd like to know.

Med-El user for the record.

Thanks!

I do not have a CI but have read that it is a good idea to keep written notes between mappings rather than depend on memory.

would like to know how the sounds produced unlike the hearing aid.. it is clear/sharp.. or sight nasal?

I am an AB user. Your experience seems very similar to mine, although it does sound like yours is more extreme.

I first found that loud high pitch noises (Metal on metal, metal on wood, womens laughter, etc) were very loud. I could hear them fairly clearly from a distance and it caused a distorted sound when more closer to me.

I found that this didnt really go well for me until some time passed and I did numerous mappings. It took around 6-7 month for me to hear voice much more clearly even with some higher pitches noise sounding close. I was not really able to hear voices unless it was 1 on 1 for around 3-4 months.

When doing the mapping, I made the audiologist take time in doing it. For me at least, the mapping sounds are not always the same, which makes it difficult to adjust them to sound similar. I tell the audiologist to go through the mapping. Redo all sounds one at a time and redo it everytime I adjust one of the sounds. I found this to help quite a bit.

It does also seem like the higher frequency is set a little too high for you. Your audi should be able to make some adjustments with reducing the higher pitches a bit. Might not even be a bad idea to bring something that causes the higher pitch sound and test it as the audi adjusts it. (tap keys on a table, jingle your keys, or etc)

I have Cochlear brand. I experience the same things as you. I can hear my husband chewing from the family room but I can't hear the tv that is right in front of me. Do you have access to the volume and sensitivity controls? I found if I turn down the sensitivity it helps some.

Hopefully others with more positive experiences will post with some help. Good luck!!

Hi there! I have almost same problem as you. Expect I can hear people talking in dining room but I have hard time hearing the TV in the living room. My volume setting used to be 5, now with N5 I have to turn up to 12. Dont know why:dunno:

Why would he call you a fool for that? Oh, wait, I know... Darn Trolls :ugh:

Why would he call you a fool for that? Oh, wait, I know... Darn Trolls :ugh:

This person is just copying people's responses and then calling us all fools! Hope Mods get rid of this person.

This person is just copying people's responses and then calling us all fools! Hope Mods get rid of this person.

The person was under a different account and got banned, I think. Maybe they got unbanned. Fool.

From very direct experience-6 years ago- one must duly advise your audi exactly what is happening -hearing wise. They can/will adjust to what you say on mapping.

None of us advise what someone else says in their specfic reactionsto their Cochlear Implant

6 year visit soon.

I thought it had happened before...

Ah hah! And you were the one telling them off!

Cochlear Implant- Which Ear? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeptab
I still get tinnitus once in a great while if I am not wearing the implant. When was first activated I did notice the tinnitus was worse at times but It is so much better now.

Quote:
Originally posted by NaidiaUP
Why are you calling everyone a FOOL?! Not on!

Wadeptab was banned. Reckon our little troller created him/herself a little multi-account to troll on, eh?

Ah hah! And you were the one telling them off!

Cochlear Implant- Which Ear? Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeptab
I still get tinnitus once in a great while if I am not wearing the implant. When was first activated I did notice the tinnitus was worse at times but It is so much better now.

Quote:
Originally posted by NaidiaUP
Why are you calling everyone a FOOL?! Not on!

Wadeptab was banned. Reckon our little troller created him/herself a little multi-account to troll on, eh?

I just went back thru my posts to try and find it as I thought I had commented apon his/her rudeness before.

I just went back thru my posts to try and find it as I thought I had commented apon his/her rudeness before.

Yes, I did remember noting the way you said "not ON!" That was how I was able to find it... :lol:

Back