CI info, please

Parrothead2222

Reaction score
I'm a high school student in GA and I really want to study either some sort of ASL interpreting program or speech pathology. I have a big state speech competition coming up and I'd really like somehow focus on the deaf community. But I need some help, should I focus on CI's? If so, can some one give me some info on the pros and cons of CI's.
Are CI's the most recent "breakthrough", I guess is the word, in the deaf community, or are there more recent developements?

Thank you so much!

The list of pros and cons are quite lengthy and varies from person to person of whom have obtained a CI.

For me:

pros:
marked improvement in identifying sounds
understanding spoken speech without looking (from time to time)
decipher which voice belongs to who and what gender.
enables lipreading better

cons:

headaches when wearing CI for more than 4 hours

Hi Parrothead... I don't think CIs are the most recent "breakthrough" in the Deaf community.. but it is becoming more accepted.

Pros:
Better lipreading
Alerts to danger sounds
Recognition of sounds
More enjoyment out of music/movies

Cons:
Must be patient w/ speech/hearing rehabilitation program
MAPping for life (or as long you wear it)
Either can not get MRI or get minor surgery to remove the magnet in some impants

here's a question about CIs that might be of interest to you. Wasn't sure where to post so i'll out it here.

one of my friend's recently got a CI, but to put in in they gave him a choice of which sense he wanted to risk losing, feeling in half his face, or taste in half his mouth. They needed to possibly cut a nerve in order to put the CI in. Is that normal? Is this choice given to all CI candidates, or just some of them?

AsianAlan said:
here's a question about CIs that might be of interest to you. Wasn't sure where to post so i'll out it here.

one of my friend's recently got a CI, but to put in in they gave him a choice of which sense he wanted to risk losing, feeling in half his face, or taste in half his mouth. They needed to possibly cut a nerve in order to put the CI in. Is that normal? Is this choice given to all CI candidates, or just some of them?

That's true -- but it's a very low risk. They did inform me of that risk, however how miminal the risk was -- they still are required by law to inform the patient of all kinds of risks that are associated with that particular type of operation.

It didn't happen to me -- but after the operation, a nurse kept on coming in to wake me up at interval times and asked for me to smile for them and move around a bit as they were checking to ensure the facial nerve hadn't been nicked nor severed during the operation.

Oh another thing -- about the risk of losing partial taste in the mouth -- they did ask me questions on how I was tasting things and so forth. They said it was normal to have some tastes a bit off for the first couple of weeks, then it was back to normal. :)

PurpleRose71 said:
cons:

headaches when wearing CI for more than 4 hours

You get headache easily if u wear more than 4 hrs?? wow interested. I havent had headache since hook up. I wear it from 12 to 15 hrs a day.

Sweet_KJ said:
Cons:
Must be patient w/ speech/hearing rehabilitation program

I haven't start mine yet till Sept 28th. The person is on the vacation. I am in no hurry. I know I have go there weekly for a year.

PurpleRose71 said:
Oh another thing -- about the risk of losing partial taste in the mouth -- they did ask me questions on how I was tasting things and so forth. They said it was normal to have some tastes a bit off for the first couple of weeks, then it was back to normal.

My taste bud isn't coming back yet but very slow. I know I had surgery very recently. I sometime didn't realized I still don't taste and couldn't feel the right side of the tongue and bit it hard. I have to be careful when I am eating and didn't want to bite my tongue. It was hurt as hell when I bit hard. whew.

Parrothead, there were so many CI threads here.. Alot of us left our feelings and opinions about CI. Why not to read it and get some ideas from there too?
Good luck! ;)

Yeah, Licana -- but it doesn't happen EVERY time -- but it does happen. But despite that, I'm still happy with the results. :D

Do a study on how mainstream media brainwashes the populace into thinking c.i.'s are 100% success -you would get top marks for that -not

Back