CI Evaluation

Vocational Rehab in most states won't purchase two sets for a client. It is a one-time thing. I am just glad he recommended my ReSound Zigas. They still have plenty of headroom.

I looked at e-bay, and there are several there. phonak | eBay Maybe VR can help you negotiate a loan for them. Remember that they are the last option short of CI. Therefore, you will see some lightly used ones from people who had to go on to the next step.

Many VR counselors do not understand the emotional impact of hearing loss. My previous one-- case in point. My present one knows first-hand.

I suggest that you sell the Hit PROs on ebay , and buy another set of Naida from there as as well.

They should be the same price.

Some people on other forums that are based in American have been talking about not getting their aids until the 1st of the year so they can take into account of the flexible spending account. Can you do that?

There is a pair of Phonak Naidas for not very much at all based in floria on eBay.

My mistake. Thought he was already wearing Naidas. I do wonder what the audiogram looks like though just out of curiosity.

Hertz left ear decibel right ear decibel
250 70 75
500 70 70
1000 75 80
2000 85 90
4000 95 105
8000 115 120
left column-left ear numbers right column-right ear numbers

mine is :

250 -R/L 80
500- R 70 L 80
750- R 70 L 80
1k- R/L 85
1.5k- R 75 L 80
2k- R 85 L 90
3k- R 80 L 70
4k- R/L 80
6k- R 80 L 85
8k- R NR L 95

my word recognition scores are 66 percent in both ears and that's with guessing and I have phonak naidas that don't help me really. My CI surgeon said I should qualify no problem since my hearing aids don't really help me at all. Only thing is getting an appointment with the CI audi since she's on leave and has a replacement but they're swamped so I currently don't have an appt to re-do the stupid HINT test til march. I have another appt with the surgeon on the 19th to see if anything else can be done.

The surgeon also said everything else was fine MRI/CT are good no probs there. Only prob is that here there is up to a 3 year wait for the surgery for adults...So if I lost any more hearing I'm SOL

Had to make My own Chart Audiogram to big to attach

Chart

Attachments

• CHART CI.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 13
Mine is

R NR L NR 250
R NR L NR 500
R 90 L 105 1000
R 95 L 110 2000
R 95 L 110 4000
R 90 L 105 8000
R 64% without noise 50% with noise.
L 4% without noise 0% with noise.

But I benefit more with HAs then LoveZebras does. Altho I struggle, I can pick out speech most of the time if people look at me. Can even hear people calling from just behind me but would not be able to follow a whole conversation without looking at people faces.

2 people could have the same hearing loss but one would be struggling and the other not. All down to the person.

Mine is

R NR L NR 250
R NR L NR 500
R 90 L 105 1000
R 95 L 110 2000
R 95 L 110 4000
R 90 L 105 8000
R 64% without noise 50% with noise.
L 4% without noise 0% with noise.

But I benefit more with HAs then LoveZebras does. Altho I struggle, I can pick out speech most of the time if people look at me. Can even hear people calling from just behind me but would not be able to follow a whole conversation without looking at people faces.

2 people could have the same hearing loss but one would be struggling and the other not. All down to the person.

Ya on paper it doesn't make sense really. Which is why people get so confused in the medical world. When they see two people's audiograms and one can be worse than the other but the worse on paper hears better with ha's than the person with more hearing technically..so odd the way it works. This is what frustrates me about audis. They are SO textbook ...I wish I had a deaf audi who understood more of how I feel ya know!? A deaf audi would be great :)

Ya on paper it doesn't make sense really. Which is why people get so confused in the medical world. When they see two people's audiograms and one can be worse than the other but the worse on paper hears better with ha's than the person with more hearing technically..so odd the way it works. This is what frustrates me about audis. They are SO textbook ...I wish I had a deaf audi who understood more of how I feel ya know!? A deaf audi would be great :)

Might be the way the brain interprets the sounds maybe? As I've always been deaf, I'm more used to hearing sounds in a limited way maybe? Very confusing how hearing works!

Last edited:
Might be the way the brain interprets the sounds maybe? As I've always been deaf, I'm more used to hearing sounds in a limited way maybe? Very confusing how hearing works!

hmmm maybe...I guess I get more frustrated because I know what I should be hearing but can't...lol never though of it that way

Some audies just don't get that it's a very individual case for each person. Not everyone with the exact same hearing loss is going to get the same benefits from the same type of hearing aids. One will do great with hearing aids while the other struggles, this is just how it is.

I really don't benefit from my HA if only wearing my left but when wearing both, I hear background noise like cars etc from both but speech from my right.

Works well for me apart when I try and use other program's on my HAs and use my ComPilot and FM system as I hear with just my right and it drives me mad! But in my everyday program I love my HAs.

Here in the UK they like to implant the better ear as they feel the CI would work better. The 2 assessments I've had for CIs and have qualified say they would implant my right ear.

Until my speech in my right goes down hill, I won't get a CI coz at the moment in a way, it's like I have a CI coz I'm not hearing speech in both ears and with a CI, I won't hear speech in both ears.

I Feel So Much Better Now(Sarcasm)

My hearing aid audiologist increased the gain on my aids(now I feel like I have two stereos attached to my head). Do really hear that much better. All this for some stinking residual hearing,that the CI center thinks I should use up before being implanted.

My hearing aid audiologist increased the gain on my aids(now I feel like I have two stereos attached to my head). Do really hear that much better. All this for some stinking residual hearing,that the CI center thinks I should use up before being implanted.

Even tho you don't feel that good about your hearing, at least you will be able to cope better until you can get your CI centre to say yes!

Better chart

Better chart

Attachments

• BETTER CHART.doc
    36 KB · Views: 6
I got a call out of the blue yesterday from the cochlear implant center. It seem that even though I am not a candidate just yet the still want CT scan my head and cochleas.

I got a call out of the blue yesterday from the cochlear implant center. It seem that even though I am not a candidate just yet the still want CT scan my head and cochleas.

they may want to have the information for the future, or they may actually feel you are right on the edge. a CT scan only takes a few minutes. They may also be collecting information to send to your insurance... insurance requirements for covering a CI is different than implant criteria. So it is best to have a clear understanding as to what the criteria is from both.

Back