CI evaluation tomorrow

yeah AB is pretty good at it. They were ready to appeal when Wyo Medicaid denied my CI request. I ended up just waiting 2 years until I had medicare and was able to get the CI then.

Congrats on failing! ;)

AB will definitely advocate for you to the insurance company.

Hope you get it!!!! Word of advice......it would be awesome if bilateral worked out....and of course I'm not an audi or a CI expert but, I think it might be a good idea to see how bimodal might work for you....I heard on a parents of deaf kids board, that they're finding that a good combonation for hearing is CI PLUS HA (if there's anything to boost) Of course everyone is different with how they respond to/like hearing technology so your milage may vary.

The surgeon said it is really rare to do simultaneous adult bilateral implants so I get to choose the ear I have implanted and I'll (probably) still wear my hearing aid in the other ear just to keep the auditory pathways stimulated and because right now I only hear bass sounds and my husband has a very deep voice.

I'll probably have my right ear implanted. I'm ridiculously excited.

Is that your good ear or your bad one? That'd be the hardest part of the decision for me. I think my right is catching up to my left but the right one has had more speech going to it for longer so it'd probably be the better choice. But it's my "good" ear, so that's damn scary

Is that your good ear or your bad one? That'd be the hardest part of the decision for me. I think my right is catching up to my left but the right one has had more speech going to it for longer so it'd probably be the better choice. But it's my "good" ear, so that's damn scary

My right ear used to be my bad ear but 2 years ago my left ear gave up. I'm choosing my right ear because for the past 2 years it has had good access to sound and my left ear has more bass.

Mostly, I have nothing left to loose.

Since both my ears have zero hearing, I chose the side I don't sleep on. Someone hear suggested that and I am so grateful I listened. Right ear would have been good for like when I am driving so I can hear my passenger. If I go on a long drive, I use the long microphone.

Since both my ears have zero hearing, I chose the side I don't sleep on. Someone hear suggested that and I am so grateful I listened. Right ear would have been good for like when I am driving so I can hear my passenger. If I go on a long drive, I use the long microphone.

I considered choosing which side i sleep on but I sleep on my stomach so...no problem there.

I considered choosing which side i sleep on but I sleep on my stomach so...no problem there.

I wish I could find this funny picture I saw in the past about women not being able to sleep on their stomach due to their boobs. I haven't slept on my stomach in forever.:giggle:

My right ear used to be my bad ear but 2 years ago my left ear gave up. I'm choosing my right ear because for the past 2 years it has had good access to sound and my left ear has more bass.

Mostly, I have nothing left to loose.

Exactly.......Everyone here is very aware of the debate,but all in all the CI is a GODSEND for progressive losses.......

The surgeon said it is really rare to do simultaneous adult bilateral implants so I get to choose the ear I have implanted and I'll (probably) still wear my hearing aid in the other ear just to keep the auditory pathways stimulated and because right now I only hear bass sounds and my husband has a very deep voice.

I'll probably have my right ear implanted. I'm ridiculously excited.

Congratulations. You might be a candidate for bilateral implants. They are done but it depends on your comfort level. I consider it for about 2 minutes but I have more hearing left then you do. They will probably not have you wear your HA for a while, 3 months or so, after the surgery so you get used to the CI on it's own. I tend to wear my HA in the morning or when I get out of the shower and my hair is wet to keep that nerve stimulated. I can't wear both together though, the hearing is just so different for me.

I sleep on my stomach too, but usually have the right side of my head on the pillow. It took me several months before I could actually sleep like that and even now I have to have a very soft pillow that I can hollow out a dent for my ear. It's not bad, but just something to prepare for just in case.

Congratulations. You might be a candidate for bilateral implants. They are done but it depends on your comfort level. I consider it for about 2 minutes but I have more hearing left then you do. They will probably not have you wear your HA for a while, 3 months or so, after the surgery so you get used to the CI on it's own. I tend to wear my HA in the morning or when I get out of the shower and my hair is wet to keep that nerve stimulated. I can't wear both together though, the hearing is just so different for me.

I sleep on my stomach too, but usually have the right side of my head on the pillow. It took me several months before I could actually sleep like that and even now I have to have a very soft pillow that I can hollow out a dent for my ear. It's not bad, but just something to prepare for just in case.

I am a candidate in both ears but my insurance only covers one at a time.
Right now I'm a bit pissed that according to the surgeon, I could have had an implant 3-4 years ago based on my audiograms and speech testing but none of the 3 audiologists I saw said anything. I even asked one audiologist and she said I wouldn't qualify (even though I pointed out that according to the chart from Cochlear in her office I was a candidate).
I'm only pissed because at until I turned 26 a yearish ago I was covered by my mom's amazing insurance.

Im glad im not only one! I also have feather pillow which is very soft. I love to punch a pillow to make a "hole" for my right ear so I can sleep comfortably on the right side. :D

I am a candidate in both ears but my insurance only covers one at a time.
Right now I'm a bit pissed that according to the surgeon, I could have had an implant 3-4 years ago based on my audiograms and speech testing but none of the 3 audiologists I saw said anything. I even asked one audiologist and she said I wouldn't qualify (even though I pointed out that according to the chart from Cochlear in her office I was a candidate).
I'm only pissed because at until I turned 26 a yearish ago I was covered by my mom's amazing insurance.

I had the same experience at my ENT's office. I ended up going to a different clinic for my CI even. I would have qualified much earlier if someone had said something....but on the flip side, since you are choosing AB, the new electrodes and processor is worth the wait :D

Back