CI Brands

Jay Sea

Reaction score
My first post here so forgive me if this question has been asked before. My wife and I are the parents of a profoundly deaf 11 month old daughter. She has worn hearing aids for the past several months with no improvements to her hearing. Her Audiologist gave us some information about the two implants they deal with, Cholear and Advanced Biotics. In reading this information they both appear to be very good products. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Thanks

There are several threads on this matter.

This thread is one of the most interesting, probably: www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/62627-opinions-needed-ci-brands.html.

Actually what you can conclude is that none is really better than the others. There could be some advantage/disadvantage, but they are all minor. The most important thing to evaluate is the experience of the implanting center with a specific brand (especially for mapping) and the assistance.
Cochlear seems to have the biggest number of users and usually a fairly effective assistance, very important. Anyway, nobody seems to really complain about the other brands.

I'm right now in the process of getting my first CI so I understand what you're going through. So many decisions to make.

I recently posted a poll asking the same question. Maybe it'll help you decide. It just shows what brands some of the members of the forum have and why they chose what brand they chose. You can see this poll and discussion here:
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/66195-ci-brand-did-you-get-why.html

Another issue to consider is that Cochlear is coming out with a new model that's smaller in size. Talk to your audiologist about it. I decided to go with this new model (Cochlear 5) and found out there's a bonus to getting it right now. I'll have my surgery sometime in the next couple of months. When I get my first CI it'll be the current model (Cochlear Freedom) and then when the new model comes out I'll get that and I'll also be able to keep my first one as a back up for free.

I'm not saying this 2 for 1 will happen for everyone though. So talk to your audi about it.

One thing I've heard from many when I was researching CI brands is that they say they all work. Some just have features that are more appealing to some over others.

Ron

Hi Jay Sea

Welcome to AD.

Ref 74 had made very good point, All the internal implant are very similar, they just have added more of fancy stuff/name but they just works good as each other (as my Audi says)

If you already have the information of each device and have good feel of the dummy ones write down the pros and cons, really research. Ask the Audi to show you how baby worn is worn on each devices.

Ron is right about Cochlear as It's already out in Britian. I have seen it and I think it looks great, Made of titanium, very space age, lighter body, smaller, auto T-Coil and have remote... Ask your audi about this. Also mention if AB have anything coming out.

Thanks for the replys. I posed this question to the audiologists as well and they had the same response. They have experience with both and are comfortable working with each brand. I still have concerns about implant internals and mapping software becoming obsolete within a few months/years after my daughter being implanted.

I will try to find more information about the new Cochlear 5. Thanks again.

Cochlear and AB (harmony) has back to back compactablity (sorry for misspelling) so any new processor would fit the current internal implants (harmony or Nucleus 5 if it's out in USA by then but at the moment it's Freedom). I was told that Cochlear could withstand for 75 years but expect reimplantation at some point during her life to keep up with the techology (goes same with other devices) and (God Forbid it doesn't happen to any of us) any failures.

Back