CI blog for my daughter

What? I wasn't debating about oral vs sign? *very puzzled* I was just saying about UNbiased resources like have service for ALL kind of things like cued speech, sign, Bi-Bi, Oral, Total Comunication, everything.....?
Sheesh sorry for even trying to help and give services names since I'm from his area... :(

You did nothing wrong, Skullchick. I'm sure this parent found your information helpful. Nor has anyone said anything innappopriate to this parent. There are just those that find it necessary to create chaos where there is none.

Skullchick, wow.......I wonder thou if it might have changed a bit. How long ago were you there?
The reason why I suggested evalution at OSD, is b/c generally Deaf Schools can offer REALLY good early intervention, that just general early intervention can't.
Although they might be ASL-strong, OSD might be a good resource for learning Sign etc.

Skullchick, wow.......I wonder thou if it might have changed a bit. How long ago were you there?
The reason why I suggested evalution at OSD, is b/c generally Deaf Schools can offer REALLY good early intervention, that just general early intervention can't.
Although they might be ASL-strong, OSD might be a good resource for learning Sign etc.

I find it amazing that some think that all schools for the deaf are going to automatically be wonderful and great places to get an education. That they will automatically provide things that they had never provided before. Nope, until someone who is informed of their rights under an iep pushes for a service it wont happen in most public schools.

I very much doubt that things have changed a whole lot in the few years since skullchick has attended there. every parent needs to look into any school their child may attend very throughly if they really want their kids to get a good education. so are ok, some are super crappy and some are really good, that goes for mainstream schools, deaf schools and even private schools.

Many good resources have been presented here for both oral and sign programs. It's up to the parents to take it from here. I wish them luck they may need it.

jag............FYI, I was referring to EARLY intervention, not the actual education.
Even specialized schools which have majority severe/ multihandicapped populations, tend to have such good early intervention, that they'll have lots of "just blind or just dhh kids in their preschool/early intervention/kindergarten programs. Generally public early intervention tends to be targeted towards kids with more physical (ie cerebal palsy) or mental issues, rather then sensory issues.
Besides, OSD will be a good resource if the parent wants to learn Sign.

Jag, in my experience of working at different deaf schools, I have been impressed with the level of education, services and so on that are provided. What I am not impressed is that the high number of students being referred there at an older age so far behind academically.

You're welcome. It's obvious that you are involved in your daughter's life, the process, and that you care - which are the most important things of all.

I have one more question for you. How did you get the doctors to agree to do the bilateral implants at one time. We have requested this and there is some resistance. Can you give me some hints on what you did to get them to agree.

I have one more question for you. How did you get the doctors to agree to do the bilateral implants at one time. We have requested this and there is some resistance. Can you give me some hints on what you did to get them to agree.

Have they explained to you why they are resisitant?

The surgeon we were originally going to choose all but refused to do simultaneous, bilateral implants.

He never actually said he wouldn't do it, but they were stalling (in our minds) for insurance approval and it appeared that #1 he was not comfortable with implanting before 1 year, and #2 would not do simultaneous implants. We then chose another surgeon that was comfortable with that type of procedure. It was at that time rather rare, and probably still is due to various reasons.

I personally don't want a surgeon doing something they're not comfortable with...so I can't give you a hint on how to "get them to agree". We just found someone that was comfortable and confident in doing simultaneous implants. I'd just ask them why and see what they say. If you disagree, you might look elsewhere.

The surgeon we were originally going to choose all but refused to do simultaneous, bilateral implants.

He never actually said he wouldn't do it, but they were stalling (in our minds) for insurance approval and it appeared that #1 he was not comfortable with implanting before 1 year, and #2 would not do simultaneous implants. We then chose another surgeon that was comfortable with that type of procedure. It was at that time rather rare, and probably still is due to various reasons.

I personally don't want a surgeon doing something they're not comfortable with...so I can't give you a hint on how to "get them to agree". We just found someone that was comfortable and confident in doing simultaneous implants. I'd just ask them why and see what they say. If you disagree, you might look elsewhere.

With children do most doctors not want to do bilateral?

With me, my doctor had done research on bilateral and felt the benefit for me was great. Because of my hearing loss, I would have never had any use of the other ear after activation. I believe he was right, I can see the benefit, exceptly since I spend time with only one ear at a time. I hate it.

With children do most doctors not want to do bilateral?

With me, my doctor had done research on bilateral and felt the benefit for me was great. Because of my hearing loss, I would have never had any use of the other ear after activation. I believe he was right, I can see the benefit, exceptly since I spend time with only one ear at a time. I hate it.

Bilaterals have become pretty common when appropriate for young children, but implanting them at the same time is less common.

1) It may not be appropriate because one ear may be getting some access to sound that you don't want to damage;

2) There may be some question on the proper formation of each cochlea and you want to be able to monitor results after the first implantation;

3) If there are issues in cochlea formation the surgery might take too long to be able to safely complete both surgeries in one day;

4) If there are inner ear malformations or enlarged vestibular aqueducts (or others), this can often cause some balance issues. In this case there is not a lot of research (i.e. none) on how these children do with bilateral implants in regard to balance. Might be better to just do one and then monitor...then decide later; and

5) There is double the equipment to put on, keep on, clean, transport, etc. Some people may not be able or want to handle all of it.

Side Note: I have found it easier to get insurance approval for simultaneous implants. One surgery-one bill, less overall cost. There may be some danger in getting insurance to approve the second surgery at a later date. After all, if that person can now "hear", why should the insurance company pay for another one? [That would be their argument]

Hope that helps.

Bilaterals have become pretty common when appropriate for young children, but implanting them at the same time is less common.

A former classmate of mine, she is deaf. She gave birth to a baby a couple years ago. He is also deaf and he was implanted with two on the same day. I was surprised to learn of that when I met them back in September at a friend's wedding.

I did know you could get two, but not on the same day.

I agree with all your points about simultaneous implants. I had to fight hard to get mine. So happy I did.

Several people I know that had one done, want the other ear done within the first 6 months. They do have a hard time getting insurance to pay for the other one.

Banjo - I did. I don't think it is even common for adults as well.

dragon_image, I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not your daughter gets bilateral implants. Remember the benifit has been shown to be kinda minimal...... specificly, being able to localize sound and being able to function better in noisy situtions.
It's nice to have.........but it's not a VITAL gotta have. The important thing is, to get the FIRST one.
One thing that you might want to do, is have the special ed services refer you to a regional Dhh education program. They can REALLY help with directing you to proper services. (eg like a speech therapist experianced with dhh kids)

Oh and Skullchick, what I meant by evaluated is that OSD's Early intervention department could test and recommend educational placement, communication options etc. It wouldn't be that she would go to school there.....Just that she would be able to be evaluated by someone who has a lot of experiance with dhh issues.
As I've said before, the Early Intervention programs at specialized schools tend to really be high quality. I think that it might be worth it for dragon_image to check into it...just as a possible resource and option.

Wonder what the update on EI services for this child is?

Hi. We have been so busy to even check on this thread.

So the update on EI is that Kairi will continue to see her weekly EI adviser. She will be enrolled into a pre-school that specializes in deaf child language development. Luckily for us it is right in our neighborhood.

The surgery date is coming fast. May 28.

Thanks for all the good posts.

Hi. We have been so busy to even check on this thread.

So the update on EI is that Kairi will continue to see her weekly EI adviser. She will be enrolled into a pre-school that specializes in deaf child language development. Luckily for us it is right in our neighborhood.

The surgery date is coming fast. May 28.

Thanks for all the good posts.

Thanks for the update. Will she be getting comprehensive services in langauage development? That is great that it is right in your neighborhood! Only a little over 3 weeks to go, huh?

The school will focus on language development and they also teach ASL to all their students.

We may also send our non-deaf son there also so he can take advantage of the ASL and be with his sister.

Back