CI and HA user how do you train your brain

The only arguing I have seen is coming from those who seem to think that the practice is okay. I simply asked a question. Exactly what "cause" is it that you think I am attempting to further? Better care for those implanted patients would be the answer.

I believe the original poster (vallee) was the one doing the asking here? And it is obvious you are not posting any info that may be pertinent to her orignal question.

I believe the original poster (vallee) was the one doing the asking here? And it is obvious you are not posting any info that may be pertinent to her orignal question.

And neither are you, so what's your point?

Secondly, if you will go back and read the posts, you will find that I indeed did ask a question.

Once again, it would appear that the arguments are not coming from me.

[/B]

And neither are you, so what's your point?

Secondly, if you will go back and read the posts, you will find that I indeed did ask a question.

Once again, it would appear that the arguments are not coming from me.

jillio,

I am reading this post trying to learn something from vallee's original question.

It just seems you pop up in every thread concerning CI's in order to spout off and provoke other posters. If this is not your true intention, then I apologize in advance. However, this is my perception based on repeated viewing of your posts. Remember, perception is everything.

With that said, I refuse to engage in any further dialogue with you. It is negative and counterproductive to vallee's original question.

jillio,

I am reading this post trying to learn something from vallee's original question.

It just seems you pop up in every thread concerning CI's in order to spout off and provoke other posters. If this is not your true intention, then I apologize in advance. However, this is my perception based on repeated viewing of your posts. Remember, perception is everything.

With that said, I refuse to engage in any further dialogue with you. It is negative and counterproductive to vallee's original question.

Fine. You are the one that responded to me, not vice versa. And perceptions can be in error based on personal persective.

Valle doll,

I don't go to auditory therapy either. It is done on my own dime and time. I use Audio books on my Ipod, in my car, different english as a second language websites. My mom will say words to me covering up her lips and I attempt to the repeat them. It all helps. I force myself not to lipread and make an attempt to listen to the conversation. I'm use to asking people to repeat themselves so it is no different when I don't get the gist of the conversation :) Basically what Hear Again and R2D2 said.

As far as auditory therapy goes, most clinics offer it but I would have to pay out of pocket for my therapy when I can do the same thing at home. You wouldn't expect a hearing aid dispenser to sell you a hearing aid and then automatically follow up with therapy as a free for all? Writing a comment that insinuates that the clinic, surgeon, or audiologist is shamefully refusing auditory therapy when there is other more common sense factors such as lack of insurance coverage for that service, money, time or lack of determination for those who actually need the therapy.

I agree. These tapes I am using at home are the same tapes the speech teacher uses at school. I'm taking it all in about the training. I love music now. I did not realize that music sounds so good.

Everything sounds robotic at the moment for me lol! I can't wait until the 10th. I sound like I am on the fritz :)

Mapping sounds so good. I love the sound of mapping the first day. Well only a few more days. Off topic - sent you email yesterday.

jillio,

Dogirl,

Thanks, I am also refusing to post any comments to her questions. I have allowed myself to show a side that is just not me. I am not like that and refuse to allow anyone to bring out that side of me again. So she is welcome to ask questions, I will just refuse to answer.

thanks,
val

Dogirl,

Thanks, I am also refusing to post any comments to her questions. I have allowed myself to show a side that is just not me. I am not like that and refuse to allow anyone to bring out that side of me again. So she is welcome to ask questions, I will just refuse to answer.

thanks,
val

So much for the honest exchange of information.

Just a nice way of evading....no benefit to anyone.

So much for the honest exchange of information.

Interesting on how everything unfolded and became too personal. I never thought about hospitals providing auditory therapy for the implanted patients. I guess the patients have to do it on their own or it costs too much money? I was interested to know the answer but I guess the question wont get answered. So much for learning something new.

Interesting on how everything unfolded and became too personal. I never thought about hospitals providing auditory therapy for the implanted patients. I guess the patients have to do it on their own or it costs too much money? I was interested to know the answer but I guess the question wont get answered. So much for learning something new.

The hospitals do provide auditory therapy. My insurance limits the amount I can have. Since I am doing great with my implants, I thought this thread would help myself and others on how you teach yourself how to learn to hear sounds.

For example, I lost the majority of my hearing before alot of new technology came out, so I didn't know the sounds my computer(the new ones - I used to hear the old apple IIes) makes, the beeping of the scanners at the checkouts, and the ever scary present voice at the crosswalk(very scary). They are new things for me. I never heard them before.

I want to know how others develop an understanding of sound. I did not mean for this to be a debate over auditory therapy or even speech therapy. It is not a debate but an exchange of information to learn from each other.

The hospitals do provide auditory therapy. My insurance limits the amount I can have. Since I am doing great with my implants, I thought this thread would help myself and others on how you teach yourself how to learn to hear sounds.

For example, I lost the majority of my hearing before alot of new technology came out, so I didn't know the sounds my computer(the new ones - I used to hear the old apple IIes) makes, the beeping of the scanners at the checkouts, and the ever scary present voice at the crosswalk(very scary). They are new things for me. I never heard them before.

I want to know how others develop an understanding of sound. I did not mean for this to be a debate over auditory therapy or even speech therapy. It is not a debate but an exchange of information to learn from each other.

Ok got it. I guess there are different requirements for adults and children as far as the auditory training goes.

But that's off topic. Maybe I can start a thread about it. Right now, I am too lazy to do it. LOL!

Who said anything about "free"? And we are talking about a teaching hospital with a speech and hearing center connected. My comment is more reagrading the attitude of "get paid for the expensive implant and cut 'em loose." In the case of post lingually deafnened adults, this may not have such negative consequences. In the case of a prelingually deafened child,the negative consequences can ber untold. I doubt seriously if the same hospital would fit an amputee with a prosthetic leg and then not provide physical therapy that allows the patient to optimally learn to use the prosthesis. The same attitude should apply.

Look, it's pretty obvious that most clinics make the decision to recommend speech therapy or not on a case by case basis - I know mine does. Not all of us prelingually deaf adults have the same needs, there is a wide range of situations even for us. Don't forget, Vallee gets 96% of sentences with no visual cues in testing.

I would have thought that you would be positive about a case by case approach considering that you've made statements in the past to the effect that the CI industry is out to make money out of people.

Under ordinary circumstances, I would see your point. But this is a teaching hospital with a speech and hearing center affilliated, and located directly across the street.

Look, it's pretty obvious that most clinics make the decision to recommend speech therapy or not on a case by case basis - I know mine does. Not all of us prelingually deaf adults have the same needs, there is a wide range of situations even for us. Don't forget, Vallee gets 96% of sentences with no visual cues in testing.

I would have thought that you would be positive about a case by case approach considering that you've made statements in the past to the effect that the CI industry is out to make money out of people.

I am positive about a case by case approach. And I am not referring to speech therapy, but to auditory therapy. And this is also, as I have mentioned prior, a teaching hospital involved in experimental procedures with a large speech and hearing center affillitated with the hospital and located directly across the street. In short, they have the ideal facility to offer all of the services that would ensure optimal use of the implant.

And, all I was requesting was an answer to my question. It was a simple yes or no question. But instead of an answer, I got an argument.

I am positive about a case by case approach. And I am not referring to speech therapy, but to auditory therapy. And this is also, as I have mentioned prior, a teaching hospital involved in experimental procedures with a large speech and hearing center affillitated with the hospital and located directly across the street. In short, they have the ideal facility to offer all of the services that would ensure optimal use of the implant.

And, all I was requesting was an answer to my question. It was a simple yes or no question. But instead of an answer, I got an argument.

Okay auditory therapy, sorry.

I think maybe they just don't want to make it a hugely expensive process for people and also, the first three months is a very steep learning curve anyway with lots of mappings, so perhaps such therapy tends to be recommended later when the plateau has been reached and the ongoing need identified?

Don't take it personally Jillio. Sometimes we CIers just get a bit tired of people asking us questions and just would like to be left sometimes to get on with sharing experiences and I think this thread is probably intended to be a support thread along those lines.

Maybe the best way to get answers to questions inspired from reading a support thread is to create a separate thread? Just a suggestion that might help.

Okay auditory therapy, sorry.

I think maybe they just don't want to make it a hugely expensive process for people and also, the first three months is a very steep learning curve anyway with lots of mappings, so perhaps such therapy tends to be recommended later when the plateau has been reached and the ongoing need identified?

Don't take it personally Jillio. Sometimes we CIers just get a bit tired of people asking us questions and just would like to be left sometimes to get on with sharing experiences and I think this thread is probably intended to be a support thread along those lines.

Maybe the best way to get answers to questions inspired from reading a support thread is to create a separate thread? Just a suggestion that might help.

Thanks for your answers and your suggestions.:ty:

Who said anything about "free"? And we are talking about a teaching hospital with a speech and hearing center connected. My comment is more reagrading the attitude of "get paid for the expensive implant and cut 'em loose." In the case of post lingually deafnened adults, this may not have such negative consequences. In the case of a prelingually deafened child,the negative consequences can ber untold. I doubt seriously if the same hospital would fit an amputee with a prosthetic leg and then not provide physical therapy that allows the patient to optimally learn to use the prosthesis. The same attitude should apply.

I don't have AVT for this reason. I'm told that insurance in NC won't pay for it. So I'm trying to figure out a way to improve my listening skills.

Jesus Christ, how can you hear music with cochlear?!

Music is the biggest joy of listening with the CIs. One of the reasons I pick Advanced Bionics is for the music program. It took a while, but now I can tell most of the instruments and it sounds better than when I was in high school. I'm working my way from the 80's up. The first few weeks the sound is robotic and then it changes and starts to sound normal(at least I think normal). That is my auditory therapy I do at home.

Off topic - I never knew that musical instruments played together. Not played together but sounded together. Today I hear a piano and at the end of its part a drum picked up. I really never paid attention before.

To answer your question, read R2D2, it is correct. Now that I am done with 3 months, my audie feels I am doing great and if I think I need auditory or speech therapy she will refer me to someone. She feels I don't. It is out of pocket cost and Christmas is around the corner.

Back