CI and HA together (left/right)

skipper

Reaction score
For those of you with secere/profound loss who used HA's.... and went with a CI.... I am curious, did you continue to wear the HA in the "better" ear? or did you stop wearing the Ha and use just the CI?

How much did using both together help..... ? How would you compare and/or describe the sound differences? I have been reading a lot of CI moments.... but it seems I experience a lot of those sounds already...

i wonder how much I've really experienced them, and what the sound difference would be like with a CI...

Thanks for any input... I'm enjoying all the reading here....

Bruce

I started off with CI + HA, although the HA was in my worst ear. The CI quickly dominated and the HA seemed to sound worse. It just sounded very distorted and hollow compared to the CI. I couldn't even tell if it was on or not. If I hadn't gone bilateral, I think I would have stopped wearing the HA.

When I went bilateral with the worst ear and it quickly rose to the occasion, much to my surprise. I even had to increase the volume of the CI in the good ear so that it could keep up!

The CI picks up more high frequency sounds compared to a HA and sounds feel more close as opposed to "louder".

I don't know if it would be different story for you having your worst ear implanted and retaining the HA in your "good" ear. We are all different and so results can be individual too.

I was implanted with the Nucleus Freedom early last December. Right now, I'm wearing both my HA (left) and my CI (right.) Right now I'm getting comprehension with my HA and volume with my CI

Hi Skipper,
My daughter has a severe profound severe hearing loss in the right ear and a profound hearing loss in the left ear. She was implanted at the age of 11 in left ear. 6 years later she wears her hearing aide and her implant. She depends more on her hearing aide side since she does have quite a bit of hearing and has a digit hearing aide. She loves her implant because she depends on it more in school but when she is playing a sport she prefers to just wear a hearing aide. Just like everyone has said it really depends on what you feel comfortable with. Good Luck.

Back