CI Activation: initial impressions

CanadaDan

Reaction score
My AB Harmony implant has been activated for a week now, and it's been quite an experience. I'd like to share some of my observations and impressions

I had my surgery on Nov. 17th at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto, and returned for activation on December 9th. The improvement in my ability to hear and understand speech is phenomenal. No, it's not perfect, but the difference is like night and day compared to where I was at before.

When I first heard my own voice through the processor, I couldn't stop laughing. I sounded like a duck, and so did the audiologist. My own voice was crisp and clear in a way it hadn't sounded for years. The audiologist's voice sounded smaller, weaker, more distant; yet I could make out a lot of her speech as well.

The audi set me up with two programs; one for normal use and one for reduced background noise. She suggested I acclimatize to this first before adding a t-coil progam for the phone. Fine with me. As with regular HA's, the processor picks up quite a bit of background noise. Out of doors, the wind, combined with the general din of traffic generates a grinding, gurgling sound. The second program does a good job of reducing the background noise, but voices sound a lot softer and quieter as well.

There's lots of background noise in the office too; shuffling feet, muffled conversations, doors squeaking when they open and close. Always the same dull grind; constant and somewhat annoying. I can hear the phones chirping and the keyboards clacking even from the adjacent quad. I can hear the sound my own mouse makes when I scroll up and down, for Christ's sake!

But peoples' voices are coming in loud and clear. Of course I don't catch everything, but I can hear and understand what is said provided the person is close-by and speaks firmly. Men (though they still sound like ducks!) generally have stronger voices and are easy to understand. Women sound like squeaky little mice; high-pitched and whiny. They tend to talk faster, and their voices have a trilling, tremolo-like ring that makes them harder to follow. I wonder if additional tweaking can help with this problem?

The televison has been somewhat of a disappointment. So far I'm only able to pick up bits and pieces of what is said on TV. Newscasters (especially the women!) talk way too fast to follow. Looks like I'll still be heavily reliant on closed captions and subtitles. Actors just don't sound the same anymore with their chipmunk voices. I certainly am not impressed with what the implant does to the sound of John Wayne's voice! Tragic ... The last few years I've mostly used an FM system with my hearing aids, and am anxious to try it out with the processor.

Music, hopefully, could be a different story. Had the chance to listen to the car radio, and was pleasantly surprised that I could hear melodies and even recognize individual instruments. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking foward to doing more experimenting, There isn't much music around the house right now, but music used to be a big part of my life and I loved rock, blues, country, jazz; all kinds. I was something of a musician way back when and it would be great to pick up a guitar again.

I haven't had much chance as yet to try the implant in a private, one-on-one sessions with anyone else. Most of my social interaction has been at work or out in public. Saturday night I was out to dinner with friends and could hear and understand maybe half of what was said above significant background noise in busy stores and crowded streets. I spoke with a few shopkeepers and sales clerks and heard them clearly no problem.

That's about it for now. So far so good. I'm not hearing everything, but significantly more than I hear before. Hopefully, additional tweaking can soften some of this background noise, and make women sound a little more natural. the audi did say this first mapping will be the worst my CI even sounds. I hope she's right but even if she's not and the implant never sounds any better than right now it is still be a big improvment that I'm quite happy with it. So tomorrow it's back to the audi for more mapping!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your CI results will likley improve with training your brain. What was your hearing like with HAs and do you have any audiograms? I read that you are late deafened.

CanadaDan , That is about what I went through when I had my MedEl turned on. It is an interesting experience that's for sure.

Keep us posted .

Thank you for sharing this. My activation day is this coming Monday. So you're just a couple of weeks ahead of me. I know we've got a lot of good people here on this forum but if you ever want to share stories and discuss one on one with someone who "Is going through" about the same thing. Please feel free to contact me anytime. I know I'd sometime appreciate talking to someone who understands as well.

Ron

I love reading about these moments: gives me a little bit of insight into what the experience was like for my little one. Thank you for sharing it so thoroughly!

Hi deafdude: In response to your post ....

Yes, I am "late-deafened." I'm 53 yr. old now, and started wearing HA's when I was 37 (though I was aware I had some hearing loss well before then). My loss is primarily sensory-neural, and it has been progressive. My mom suffers from hearing loss, and so did other members of her family.

At first I just need an aid in my right ear, then my left ear started to decline as well. I was able to get along and function pretty normally with aided hearing, needing to upgrade to strong aids over the years (my most recent aids were phonak Eleva's).

My left ear was always the "better" one, and I was able to get by (with some difficulty of course) until spring 2008. In May 2008 I had bypass surgery, and experienced a significant drop in my hearing ability around that time. Hard to say if it happened before the surgery, because of the surgery, or what.

My loss really became noticeable right after I had an angiogram, which was about 2 weeks prior to my surgery. At first I thought my left HA was just malfunctioning, but it wasn't; my left-side hearing had declined, and was now as bad or maybe even worse than the right side.

Anyway, the result was that I could no longer use a regular phone anymore, and was no longer able to understand or follow a normal conversation. It was mostly just muffled sounds coming through my HA's.

I don't have a recent audiogram, but when I started consulation for the CI my hearing was tested, and the audi said my WRS (word recognition score) was 15% while aided with the Eleva's. I was also tested wearing a stronger aid (Ph. Naida), which bumped my WRS up to around 25 - 30%.

She said that still put me in the range to qualify for a CI, and after a great deal of deliberation and research (including scrutinizing the alldeaf boards), I decided to go ahead with the implant.

Right now it feels like I definitely made the right decision.

Congrats on your activation! You are off to a great start. I found that music took the longest for me to adjust to with the CI but just hang in there. Are you going to wear a HA in you unimplanted ear? I wear a Naida in my unimplanted ear.

Thanks for sharing. I hope that you continue to gain more hearing and have a big improvement in your quality of life.

CanadaDan,

The metallic sound of voices will disappear - I worried about it for 3 weeks and by the 4th, it was gone. Everyone now sounds as I remember (I'm about 4 months post activation). I suggest 'practicing' with audio books. You can get these from your public library then also borrow the book to read along. If your implant comes with the accessories, plug in to your pc and listen to public radio. Every bit of practice helps. Get family and friends to say lists of words to you and easy sentences.

Hi deafdude: In response to your post ....

Yes, I am "late-deafened." I'm 53 yr. old now, and started wearing HA's when I was 37 (though I was aware I had some hearing loss well before then). My loss is primarily sensory-neural, and it has been progressive. My mom suffers from hearing loss, and so did other members of her family.

At first I just need an aid in my right ear, then my left ear started to decline as well. I was able to get along and function pretty normally with aided hearing, needing to upgrade to strong aids over the years (my most recent aids were phonak Eleva's).

My left ear was always the "better" one, and I was able to get by (with some difficulty of course) until spring 2008. In May 2008 I had bypass surgery, and experienced a significant drop in my hearing ability around that time. Hard to say if it happened before the surgery, because of the surgery, or what.

My loss really became noticeable right after I had an angiogram, which was about 2 weeks prior to my surgery. At first I thought my left HA was just malfunctioning, but it wasn't; my left-side hearing had declined, and was now as bad or maybe even worse than the right side.

Anyway, the result was that I could no longer use a regular phone anymore, and was no longer able to understand or follow a normal conversation. It was mostly just muffled sounds coming through my HA's.

I don't have a recent audiogram, but when I started consulation for the CI my hearing was tested, and the audi said my WRS (word recognition score) was 15% while aided with the Eleva's. I was also tested wearing a stronger aid (Ph. Naida), which bumped my WRS up to around 25 - 30%.

She said that still put me in the range to qualify for a CI, and after a great deal of deliberation and research (including scrutinizing the alldeaf boards), I decided to go ahead with the implant.

Right now it feels like I definitely made the right decision.

Thanks for sharing your story. Can you scan any audiograms you have, even if they are several years old? We are curious what your hearing loss configuration is like. How long did you trial a stronger HA that doubled your WRS? How did you score in sentence(HINT-Q?) with those HAs? Im happy for you that your CI choice worked out.

Back