Chromecast

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chromecast is a digital media streaming adapter developed by Google. The device plays audio/video content on a high-definition television by streaming it from the web via WiFi. Users select the programming and control it from an app on a mobile device or from the Google Chrome web browser on a personal computer.

marquee-product.png

Google Chromecast Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFSswXUYMx0]Hands-on with Google Chromecast - YouTube[/ame]

But subtitles on Netflix movies w/ chromecast are poor and dull. Apple TV is better and subtitles are clear and sharp.

Chromecast is a digital media streaming adapter developed by Google. The device plays audio/video content on a high-definition television by streaming it from the web via WiFi. Users select the programming and control it from an app on a mobile device or from the Google Chrome web browser on a personal computer.

marquee-product.png

Google Chromecast Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Hands-on with Google Chromecast - YouTube

But subtitles on Netflix movies w/ chromecast are poor and dull. Apple TV is better and subtitles are clear and sharp.

I saw that news the other day and want to get one too.

I am hoping in near future those networks like SciFi or History or Discovery would just offer online streaming shows so I could drop DirectTV because it pretty much only channels I watch and I hate paying lot money for unused channels I don't even watch.

I am hoping in near future those networks like SciFi or History or Discovery would just offer online streaming shows so I could drop DirectTV because it pretty much only channels I watch and I hate paying lot money for unused channels I don't even watch.

You can wait to get next-gen Apple TV and will be more apps like some networks.

You can wait to get next-gen Apple TV and will be more apps like some networks.

I am using Roku 3 which kick the butt of any Apple TV :D

I feel that Apple is restricting the Apps on it because they want $$$ from other provider to allow Apps on their Apple TV.

Same as XBox, you have to pay monthly to Micro$oft to be able to use Netflix or any streaming Apps on their Xbox which is stupid and plain greedy.

I believe Roku and Google TV is gonna take off in near future.

I noticed his door.. my god.. too many security deadlocks. lol

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 101

I feel that Apple is restricting the Apps on it because they want $$$ from other provider to allow Apps on their Apple TV.

Same as XBox, you have to pay monthly to Micro$oft to be able to use Netflix or any streaming Apps on their Xbox which is stupid and plain greedy.

I believe Roku and Google TV is gonna take off in near future.

Someone dislike Roku because subtitle text is too tiny. Apple TV's subtitle text is clear.

LOL! NTID student lives temp apt in Philalelphia area for summer interim job.

Maybe, he worry about deaf burglars try to steal his high-tech goods in his room... rolling eyes...

Last edited:

Care to explain?

I don't pay anything for app on the Apple TV.

Care to explain?

I don't pay anything for app on the Apple TV.

You don't have to pay anything, companies who want their channels to be available on Apple TV have to have some type of agreement with Apple to have their channels on it.

GoogleTV and Roku are more open welcoming any channels as long it not showing anything illegal.

My issue with GoogleTV and Roku that they are not forcing developers to make sure that it caption-ready before accepting their channels. I don't know if Apple does force it to be caption supported or not before it allowed on Apple TV.

Like the free movie channel "Crackle" http://www.crackle.com/ You can watch some movie captioned at their web site using web browser but the Crackle channel apps in Roku does not support caption.

D

Another issue is it seem that developers think our Closed Captioning is a ugly yellow lettering :roll: which make letter hard to read if the background is yellow or white or green. Someone need to educate them and keep it white on black banners.

Apple just a picky companies restricting a lot of things unless they wave the $$$$. And Roku isn't trying to encourage those adding channels to make sure it caption ready.

There no perfect streaming device but down the road there should be more an more captioning on streaming devices.

Here a good review .. both positive and negative
Apple TV vs. Roku: Which streaming box should you buy? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I went with Roku because I feel it gonna grow fast while Apple is taking it time to grow.

Those channels require you to subscribe to Directv or cable companies and have log in to watch streaming shows.

It is common on iPad now.

You don't have to pay anything, companies who want their channels to be available on Apple TV have to have some type of agreement with Apple to have their channels on it.

GoogleTV and Roku are more open welcoming any channels as long it not showing anything illegal.

My issue with GoogleTV and Roku that they are not forcing developers to make sure that it caption-ready before accepting their channels. I don't know if Apple does force it to be caption supported or not before it allowed on Apple TV.

Like the free movie channel "Crackle" http://www.crackle.com/ You can watch some movie captioned at their web site using web browser but the Crackle channel apps in Roku does not support caption.

D

Another issue is it seem that developers think our Closed Captioning is a ugly yellow lettering :roll: which make letter hard to read if the background is yellow or white or green. Someone need to educate them and keep it white on black banners.

Apple just a picky companies restricting a lot of things unless they wave the $$$$. And Roku isn't trying to encourage those adding channels to make sure it caption ready.

There no perfect streaming device but down the road there should be more an more captioning on streaming devices.

Here a good review .. both positive and negative
Apple TV vs. Roku: Which streaming box should you buy? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I went with Roku because I feel it gonna grow fast while Apple is taking it time to grow.

Okay, We use it for netflix and hulu+ and they are works great with subtitles. Why we picked Apple because it's always better CC/subtitle and quick than other streaming devices. Netflix and hulu+ are good enough for us and don't need add more apps. Plus our Macbook Air or iPhone or iPad use it as AirPlay Mirroring.

It's great for games too.
Dual-Screen-AirPlay-Mirroring-iOS-5.jpg

Okay, We use it for netflix and hulu+ and they are works great with subtitles. Why we picked Apple because it's always better CC/subtitle and quick than other streaming devices. Netflix and hulu+ are good enough for us and don't need add more apps. Plus our Macbook Air or iPhone or iPad use it as AirPlay Mirroring.

New custom subtitles on Apple TV. Apple will release the Apple TV 5.4 software to users when iOS 7 ships in the fall. Finally, Apple has added increased subtitle features to the Apple TV. Users can now choose between closed captioning or subtitles and also alter the way subtitles look. Users will be able to set the font color and size and also the background color of subtitles.

Hands-on with Apple TV 5.4 Beta: iTunes Radio, Conference Room Display, custom subtitles

Wow!! How did that iPad connected to Tv to playing games or whatever that working? I will get a iPad real soon.

Wow!! How did that iPad connected to Tv to playing games or whatever that working? I will get a iPad real soon.

Should request Apple TV for using AirPlay mirroring from iPad. may buy refurbished Apple TV at $75.

any iPad model from old to new. They had Apple TV mirroring
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2S0f16fwQs]iPad 2 AirPlay Mirroring Hands On WalkThrough By AppleNApps.com - YouTube[/ame]

Back