Children's Health...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many toddlers getting their shots late, says CDC

Late vaccinations blamed for outbreaks of measles, whooping cough

While overall U.S. immunization rates are high, many toddlers get their recommended shots several months or more late — delays that have probably contributed to some illnesses and deaths, a government study suggests.

By age 2, 37 percent of youngsters got at least one recommended vaccination more than six months late, researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found. About 20 percent of children had similar delays for four or more vaccinations.

Timely vaccinations are “one of the most important things parents can do to protect the health of their child,” said CDC epidemiologist Elizabeth Luman.

About 20 shots to prevent more than a dozen diseases are recommended for children in their first two years of life.

The study appears in Wednesday’s Journal of the American Medical Association. The researchers did not examine reasons for the delays.

The researchers analyzed data from a national telephone survey of families of 14,810 children ages 2 years to 35 months. Participants were asked in 2003 about vaccinations their children had received by age 2. A survey was mailed to participants’ doctors to verify the information.

By the time of the survey, 74 percent of the children were up to date on their immunizations, but many had gotten their shots late.

Among the most common delayed shots were those for pertussis, or whooping cough. Four shots are recommended by age 2, but 48 percent of children studied got those shots anywhere from one day to more than one year late.

Whooping cough has re-emerged in the United States. Of the 25 infants who died during of whooping cough-related causes during the 1990s, 15 had not received any of the vaccine, the CDC researchers said.

Other data have linked measles outbreaks to a lack of timely vaccinations.

Brian Bragg of the Chicago Area Immunization Campaign, a private group that seeks to boost vaccination rates, said some parents postpone their children’s shots because they have unfounded fears about the dangers of vaccines and because they underestimate the risks of disease.

“The fact that they don’t see widespread cases of measles, polio and diphtheria ... just means we’ve been successful” by vaccinating children, Bragg said.

Many toddlers getting their shots late

wow, you created few sense and good threads today. :hug:

I will answer when I am home from work. It's 5 minutes then I will leave work for go home.

I just made appt with my youngest son for vaccinates.. they are like a month or two months ahead of their past due date because they are all booked... jeez. Lucky i got mine on mar 24th which is supposed to be on mar 5th but due to bookings..

I dunno if drs make excuses since they always say they are booked blah blah... :squint:

It's not your fault Downing :hug: , it happened to me before, when the doctor's office is booked up and I couldn't get a sooner appt either, the only appt they had open was 3 months later.... :dunno: ...

I finally got my 5 years old his 3 shots two weeks ago, he should have gotten it in Oct when he turned 5 but that's ok and since the doctor said it won't harm him even if it was 3 months late...;)

Yeah, I check my children´s shot book and exactly the same list what my children received but it´s bit different. My children first received their shot when they were 2 days old then see this list where my children received their shots.

The children cant go kindergarten and school without have shots. They check children´s shot pass before let them in. Health Department, too. They check children´s shot pass before they goes their first school. They received their first Hepatitis B shot when they goes their first kindergarten then every 2 years until 18 years old.

Check this link: It explain why shot is important.

http://www.chinesebusinessguide.com.au/cbgenglish/cbginfo/potpourri.htm

Age Immunisation
2 months Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine
Oral polio vaccine
Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b) vaccine* (HibTITER or PedvaxHIB)

4 months Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine
Oral polio vaccine
Hib vaccine (HibTITER or PedvaxHIB)

6 months Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine
Oral polio vaccine
Hib vaccine (HibTITER)

12 months Measles/mumps/rubella vaccine
Hib vaccine (PedvaxHIB)

18 months Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine
Hib vaccine (HibTITER)

Prior to School Entry
4-5 years Diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine
Oral polio vaccine
Measles/mumps/rubella vaccine

Year 7 at school
one month later

6 months after 1st dose
Hepatitis B vaccine (1st dose)

Hepatitis B vaccine (2nd dose)

Hepatitis B vaccine (3rd dose)

Prior to leaving school
15-19 years Adult diphtheria/tetanus vaccine
Oral polio vaccine

Every 10 years Adult diphtheria/tetanus vaccine

Post-partum for non-immune women Measles/mumps/rubella vaccine or Rubella vaccine

Over 50 years (Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people) Pneumococcal vaccine (every 5 years)
Influenza vaccine (annual)

Over 65 years Pneumococcal vaccine (every 5 years)
Influenza vaccine (annual)

* Children receive EITHER HibTITER at 2, 4, 6 & 18 months OR PedvaxHIB at 2, 4 & 12 months.

Yep, my son got his shots up-to-dates and he also got his flu shots already. He was lucky he got the shot before it ran out. Now, they are coming back. :wiggle: My son is VERY easy to get sick and he must get shot before October come by, that way he won't have to end up in the hospital 4 times with respritory virus and other bronchitis. :( So far, he hasn't end up in the hospital so far. If he get sick for one day, give him Tylenol Cold medicine or Advil Cold medicine for children and next day he was all happy boy.

Liebling:-))) said:
My children first received their shot when they were 2 days old then see this list where my children received their shots.
Which shots did they get at 2 days old?

Reba said:
Which shots did they get at 2 days old?

I check my sons´s shot book and it says 2mg Kanakiou oral.

Vitamin k-prophylaxis after birth

2 mg Kanakiou oral few days old after birth

There´re no English link :cry:

Translation into English:

It´s protection infections. The doctor recommend us because it´s important to give Kanakidou orally (2mg Kanakiou oral) few days old baby because it can develop sufficient protection against heavy infections. Inoculation prevent the outbreak of dangerous diseases, which are connected with complications frequently.

Back