Child related question

SceneSierra

Reaction score
I am hearing,and my soon to be husband is hearing impaired.I am not sure the reason since he himself doesn't know the truth and no matter who I ask,No one will tell me or tell him..

How likely is it that we will have hearing impaired/deaf children?

Looking for any useful information possible.

Don't panic as if you are about to find out your future baby is deaf. Deaf is not disease. You learn ASL then there will be no problem raising your future child.

Anyhow, this probably sounds like relating to my father's similiar situation. He didn't realize that he lost some of his hearing when he was in his early 30s of age. But my Deaf brother was born way before it happened. My mother is still with him ever since no matter what with his hearing loss situation. No big deal.

I used to know the answer. Is your husband hereditarily hearing impaired?

If not then I think the chances are slim to none.

Well, you both could undergo testing for this deaf gene called Connexin26 but it's not always conclusive.

Besides, you'd be blessed to have children whether if they're deaf or hearing.

Ahh.. Connexin26. I'll keep that in mind. If my future Deaf husband and I are found to be a zero chance to have a deaf child, then forget it. We'll adopt a deaf child anyway. :D

Ahh.. Connexin26. I'll keep that in mind. If my future Deaf husband and I are found to be a zero chance to have a deaf child, then forget it. We'll adopt a deaf child anyway. :D

If you really want a deaf child, adoption might be something you'd really want to consider. With pregnancy nothing is 100% predictable on the child's health especially while their still inside you.

Yeah, what's the point to get impregnated since there's millions and millions of orphans out there in the world? Some deaf babies/orphans from the third world countries are abandoned or thrown away by parents just because of it. Bleh.

Chance to have a deaf child is ZERO!!! WHY? You see that we both are hearing impaired/deaf and had child that is hearing. But depends on heredity of deafness on family's side that would be more likely to have deaf/hoh child.... IMO

Like I said..He HIMSELF doesn't know the truth about why he is hearing impaired.Not for lack of asking.No one will tell him. ( I think they are hiding something from him).And,I did some snooping into his family history,and he's the only one I have been able to find with a hearing impairment &or deafness..Please,stay on subject with me here..I need some help,and I would rather ask the community then a doctor right now.

Like I said..He HIMSELF doesn't know the truth about why he is hearing impaired.Not for lack of asking.No one will tell him. ( I think they are hiding something from him).And,I did some snooping into his family history,and he's the only one I have been able to find with a hearing impairment &or deafness..Please,stay on subject with me here..I need some help,and I would rather ask the community then a doctor right now.

I don't think his family knows. Please don't think they are hiding something. If you had a deaf baby unexpectedly with no family history, you wouldn't know either. What more can they tell you when plenty of deaf people don't know what caused it. If he seem healthy and never was hospitalized for any illness that caused deafness morely likely it is genetic. People can be carriers of deaf genes for many generations and don't have a single deaf in the family.

I answered your question in your other thread: AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Child related question

Last edited:

My parents didn't know why and doctor didn't know why i was born deaf. My oldest four siblings are hearing until I am the last baby and was born profoundly deaf. Like it's a random/gambing what I have got. They didn't withhelding any information, and it's very common for lots of deaf people whose parents who have no idea why they were born deaf either.

Without having more information (I.e. the name of his condition) nobody here will be able to give much conclusive advice I'm afraid. The reason for this is due to the fact that there's many causes for deafness, the scope is huge. Some causes are hereditary, others are not. Some types are progressive, others are not. Some are severe, others are not. Some have other implications, others do not.

Given that you have little information, you need to see an expert, such as a geneticist or at least an ENT consultant. Just because your partner may not have a family history, it does not necessarily mean to say that he does not have a genetic disorder. Therefore, you really need to seek expert advice on this I'm afraid. Otherwise you're going to be searching pie in the sky and that will just cause frustration.

He can get genetic testing and see if he has the deaf gene.

well, honestly...if you found out that you might have a deaf child...would you be happy or not? that is your answer! It really shouldnt matter should it?

Without having more information (I.e. the name of his condition) nobody here will be able to give much conclusive advice I'm afraid. The reason for this is due to the fact that there's many causes for deafness, the scope is huge. Some causes are hereditary, others are not. Some types are progressive, others are not. Some are severe, others are not. Some have other implications, others do not.

Given that you have little information, you need to see an expert, such as a geneticist or at least an ENT consultant. Just because your partner may not have a family history, it does not necessarily mean to say that he does not have a genetic disorder. Therefore, you really need to seek expert advice on this I'm afraid. Otherwise you're going to be searching pie in the sky and that will just cause frustration.

He used to have hearing in both ears,One ear,he is down to 2% the other 30-70%..We don't have the means to go to the DR. or believe me,we would..Unless you feel like paying the medical bills,here I am..

well, honestly...if you found out that you might have a deaf child...would you be happy or not? that is your answer! It really shouldnt matter should it?

I would be LUCKY to have any type of child since I have my own medical issues..

Back