Chicago May Become The Next City To Ban Puppy Mill Pet Sales

It would be a great law. Then people will have to drive and pay for gas prices if they want to go outside Chicago to spend their hard earned money on vet visits for their unhealthy pet mill products. Serves them right!!!

We adopted 2 Labrador Retrievers that raised by family who live in rural area.

It would be a great law. Then people will have to drive and pay for gas prices if they want to go outside Chicago to spend their hard earned money on vet visits for their unhealthy pet mill products. Serves them right!!!

There are dogs in shelters that are unhealthy too, my poor dog was very ill when I got him. The shelter paid for his vet bills that was over $600 . You have to be careful when getting a dog from a shelter. I knew Marty had a cough when I got him and I was willing to nurse him back to health. He still has a cough but I would never give him back .

Puppies from puppy mills are very aggressive, and if they're too aggressive, then they do not belong around people, and need to be put down. It's a sad fact that people make quick money this way. It's the same thing with rooster fighting, also illegal in IL, but a rarity. I'm wishing that Illinois had a tougher law to protect these puppies, but as it is, our law isn't strong enough. The federal laws on dogfighting are much tougher-- remember Micheal Vicks? He served 24 months in federal prison for that.

It's common for dogs to get sick a lot from puppy mill due to neglect and other issues. I think it's time for a change.

That would be wonderful.....yes, Calvin is very right...I've worked with pups from the mills and in my experience they show a lot of fear because they haven't been exposed to much of anything else - people, houses, different environments and sights/sounds - besides mass caging and constant breeding.
Fear-can- lead to aggression, but not always - often these dogs simply do not display many typical behaviors at all, because they simply haven't learned any. It is common for a mill dog to be in an almost catatonic state, in my experience.
So, no - puppy mills do not automatically lead to aggression in dogs, ChicagoBlue.
I'm sure Botti has lots of experience with this, too.

Sadly, animals can get also diseases in shelter and humane societies. Facilities that have the funds will provide vet care for these animals and also sometimes will re-house a recently-adopted animal temporarily in that facility, if the animal displays illness within a few days of leaving the shelter and is seen by a vet for said illness.

True, though, Chicago- a sad thing:(

You've done sooo much for dear Marty, WDYS!

There are dogs in shelters that are unhealthy too, my poor dog was very ill when I got him. The shelter paid for his vet bills that was over $600 . You have to be careful when getting a dog from a shelter. I knew Marty had a cough when I got him and I was willing to nurse him back to health. He still has a cough but I would never give him back .

Back in 1994, I adopted a black kitten from animal shelter. The kitten was so sick that the shelter offered me the opportunity to exchange for a different cat. I turned them down. I picked this kitten in the first place. I was going to stick with him. He ended up living to be 16 years old.

It's common for dogs to get sick a lot from puppy mill due to neglect and other issues. I think it's time for a change.

It looks like federal should do investigation, especially USDA.

Back in 1994, I adopted a black kitten from animal shelter. The kitten was so sick that the shelter offered me the opportunity to exchange for a different cat. I turned them down. I picked this kitten in the first place. I was going to stick with him. He ended up living to be 16 years old.

The shelter did not want me bring Marty back so they paid his vet bills .
That is a long time for a cat to live. Marty will be 5 yo this year.

Why do you think that you aren't sure if it is a good law? I thought it is a great idea as there are too many dogs/cats in the shelter so why churn out more puppies/kittens.

I'm saying that new law may not work due to black market. :dunno:

I'm saying that new law may not work due to black market. :dunno:

black market? lol nope. nobody's gonna buy a puppy from black market. they can simply get one from out of state.

black market? lol nope. nobody's gonna buy a puppy from black market. they can simply get one from out of state.

I means more like dark, tunneled or fraud. I don't have one word to best definition about what business is doing.

Given an example - the pet shop could order puppies from mill and falsify claim that they were from shelter or humane society, but puppies are actually known from puppy mill and pet shop could misled them as from shelter or humane society.

Only most trusted pet shops can tell you if puppies are from shelter, humane society or responsible breeder with paperwork.

That why I'm unsure about having a law will working, but it is better for state to pass the ban on puppy mills, or get federal to ban on puppy mills nationwide.

I means more like dark, tunneled or fraud. I don't have one word to best definition about what business is doing.

Given an example - the pet shop could order puppies from mill and falsify claim that they were from shelter or humane society, but puppies are actually known from puppy mill and pet shop could misled them as from shelter or humane society.

Only most trusted pet shops can tell you if puppies are from shelter, humane society or responsible breeder with paperwork.

That why I'm unsure about having a law will working, but it is better for state to pass the ban on puppy mills, or get federal to ban on puppy mills nationwide.

It will take a bite out of breeding and overpopulation and raise awareness where your animals come from. Too many chicago animals put to sleep everyday

Back