Chase Rep Thinks Deaf People Can't Have Credit Cards

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Chase Rep Thinks Deaf People Can't Have Credit Cards - The Consumerist

Dheeraj's father is a silent partner in the business that they own together. They made him the personal guarantor when applying for a new business credit card from Chase recently, not realizing how many problems it would cause while trying to get the father's card activated. See, Dheeraj's father is deaf, and Chase was completely lost when it came to ways for him to prove his identity and activate the card. Now the account is frozen because all of Chase's ways for business credit card customers to prove their identities depend on speaking directly with the cardholder on the phone.

A little over a month ago, my father and I decided to respond to an offer from Chase for their Ink Business MasterCard. We're both principals in the business I own. He's deaf; I'm not. (These details will be relevant shortly.) In the application process, they request the SSN of one of the principals of the business. Though my father is basically a silent partner — he doesn't participate in the day-to-day operations of the business, but he was a definite financial contributor — we agreed to have him be the personal guarantor, as his credit is virtually flawless. It doesn't really matter which one of us did the personal guarantee, as we're both principals in the business, and there's only room for one guarantor.
Sure enough, we were approved, and both our cards arrived shortly. I activated mine and was able to make some purchases. After a while, I wanted to set up my account for online access at chase.com. My attempts to register online failed, so I called Chase, which is when the nightmare began.

We were soon sidetracked because my father's card hadn't been activated (though mine had been). Fair enough; I can see why they want both cards to be acknowledged and activated, even if my father isn't very likely to use his card. (As I mentioned, he isn't involved in the day-to-day affairs of the business.) So I tried to work with them to activate his card over the phone, with me being the interpreter. Even though my parents have always been able to do this in my past — with my mother (who can hear) serving as interpreter whenever activating a card — the customer service agent immediately shot down this option. Annoying, but . . . OK, how about a customer service number for the deaf and hearing impaired? He put me on hold for a bit, but came back and said he couldn't find any information on that.

Hmmm. I see. Is there some sort of procedure for processing card activations for cardmembers who can't hear? This is where it gets good. The customer service agent suggested that the hearing impaired "probably can't" have a card. I informed him that this is probably very illegal, and that it'd be news to American Express, the Charles Schwab Visa people, PNC Bank, and the various other companies that my father has credit with currently. He still seemed to think that Chase probably wouldn't be able to offer him a card.

"I'm quite sure there are laws against that," I pointed out, which seemed to unnerve him enough to put me on hold, this time for a little longer. When he returned, I was informed that my father was welcome to use his choice of relay service to call in and have the card activated. An annoying hassle, to be sure, but worth a shot. So my father got out his laptop and signed on to a video relay service that allowed him and the relay agent to communicate via sign language, while the relay agent spoke on the phone with Chase.

It seemed we were making some progress, until the Chase agent (someone else, this time) decided to verify the business information, and him being a principal, by calling the store. Yet, they said that if they called the store and spoke with me, that wouldn't be acceptable. (Why even bother calling, then, one wonders?) And sure enough, they didn't even bother to call — as I verified by checking the call logs of our phone system.

So now we're at an impasse. The cards are effectively frozen until Chase feels everything's been resolved to their satisfaction. But as long as they continue to shoot down anything we try to do to help resolve this issue, we're stuck. You'd think they'd have some procedures in place to work with deaf and hearing-impaired cardholders, but it appears you'd be wrong.

Absolutely brilliant.

I have 3 credit cards with balances that I wish I can get rid of. Maybe I can use my defness to erase my debt on them. :lol:

I have 3 credit cards with balances that I wish I can get rid of. Maybe I can use my defness to erase my debt on them. :lol:

Aha! :eek3: No, they would point out it was already activated.

We had this problem with Chase bank. My husband called to activate our cards when they arrived in the mail but he was only able to activate his. 20 minutes later he finally hung up on them for all the reasons stated above, there were no accomadations for deaf to activate the cards and they wouldn't let him activate mine even with me sitting right there.

We ended up going to the bank and activating them in person but what a pain. If we hadn't been able to do it that way I was going to have my Mom call and pretend to be me to activate it. Stupid, stupid.

Wow, this is very interesting. We have cards with Chase but no longer use them, although they're still active. I'm thinking I will write to cancel them, explaining that if they can't accommodate other deaf customers, I'm not interested either.

We usually do the same thing others have mentioned, where my husband activates them. If a credit institution needs to speak with me personally, I just say into the phone that I give permission for my husband to speak on my behalf, and he takes care of the rest of it. We've never had a problem doing it that way.

Chase Rep Thinks Deaf People Can't Have Credit Cards - The Consumerist

Dheeraj's father is a silent partner in the business that they own together. They made him the personal guarantor when applying for a new business credit card from Chase recently, not realizing how many problems it would cause while trying to get the father's card activated. See, Dheeraj's father is deaf, and Chase was completely lost when it came to ways for him to prove his identity and activate the card. Now the account is frozen because all of Chase's ways for business credit card customers to prove their identities depend on speaking directly with the cardholder on the phone.

A little over a month ago, my father and I decided to respond to an offer from Chase for their Ink Business MasterCard. We're both principals in the business I own. He's deaf; I'm not. (These details will be relevant shortly.) In the application process, they request the SSN of one of the principals of the business. Though my father is basically a silent partner — he doesn't participate in the day-to-day operations of the business, but he was a definite financial contributor — we agreed to have him be the personal guarantor, as his credit is virtually flawless. It doesn't really matter which one of us did the personal guarantee, as we're both principals in the business, and there's only room for one guarantor.
Sure enough, we were approved, and both our cards arrived shortly. I activated mine and was able to make some purchases. After a while, I wanted to set up my account for online access at chase.com. My attempts to register online failed, so I called Chase, which is when the nightmare began.

We were soon sidetracked because my father's card hadn't been activated (though mine had been). Fair enough; I can see why they want both cards to be acknowledged and activated, even if my father isn't very likely to use his card. (As I mentioned, he isn't involved in the day-to-day affairs of the business.) So I tried to work with them to activate his card over the phone, with me being the interpreter. Even though my parents have always been able to do this in my past — with my mother (who can hear) serving as interpreter whenever activating a card — the customer service agent immediately shot down this option. Annoying, but . . . OK, how about a customer service number for the deaf and hearing impaired? He put me on hold for a bit, but came back and said he couldn't find any information on that.

Hmmm. I see. Is there some sort of procedure for processing card activations for cardmembers who can't hear? This is where it gets good. The customer service agent suggested that the hearing impaired "probably can't" have a card. I informed him that this is probably very illegal, and that it'd be news to American Express, the Charles Schwab Visa people, PNC Bank, and the various other companies that my father has credit with currently. He still seemed to think that Chase probably wouldn't be able to offer him a card.

"I'm quite sure there are laws against that," I pointed out, which seemed to unnerve him enough to put me on hold, this time for a little longer. When he returned, I was informed that my father was welcome to use his choice of relay service to call in and have the card activated. An annoying hassle, to be sure, but worth a shot. So my father got out his laptop and signed on to a video relay service that allowed him and the relay agent to communicate via sign language, while the relay agent spoke on the phone with Chase.

It seemed we were making some progress, until the Chase agent (someone else, this time) decided to verify the business information, and him being a principal, by calling the store. Yet, they said that if they called the store and spoke with me, that wouldn't be acceptable. (Why even bother calling, then, one wonders?) And sure enough, they didn't even bother to call — as I verified by checking the call logs of our phone system.

So now we're at an impasse. The cards are effectively frozen until Chase feels everything's been resolved to their satisfaction. But as long as they continue to shoot down anything we try to do to help resolve this issue, we're stuck. You'd think they'd have some procedures in place to work with deaf and hearing-impaired cardholders, but it appears you'd be wrong.

Absolutely brilliant.

Does he speak? I have enough of a hearing loss that I HAVE to use Relay and have had no problems activating a personal account with Chase for years. But . . . the difference between what I do and what your father tried to do is that I use the state Relay with a TTY and VCO. That way they are hearing me and all the CA is doing is typing to me what is heard from their end of the line. I do need to call Customer Service rather than the automated line that is on the sticker on the new card because the CAs can't keep up with an automated line that has questions that have to be answered.

There are other financial institutions who would be glad to have the dad as a customer.

Holy Cow Batman!! I own a business and use a Chase Business Card. Never had any problems. I used Relay to get my card activated, blah blah.....

This is not acceptable. So sorry you're dealing with crap.

I wish they could deny on me. So, I wouldn't worry about have credit card in bad debt... I guess I could sue them, huh?

Wirelessly posted

I once tried to use my credit card online to send money through moneygram. I got an error and had to call their toll free number. I couldn't understand the rep, so I put my son on the phone. She had the cojones to tell him I had violated their terms of service by allowing him to access my account by putting him on the phone!

This is absurd. There are many ways to activate a card other than on the phone. Have they never heard of on-line banking? Chase needs a wake up!

Usually you have to activate the cards from your home phone, though. I've never heard of another way to activate them. We go through this every so often. We spend half the year at one home, the other half in another, in NC. Sometimes our credit cards come up for renewal when we are in NC, and we have to wait until we get back to VA to activate them, since that is the only home phone we have. It's irritating, but we just use a different card until we come back.

Chase is not very well-known for its customer service, far as I can tell. We used to have a Chase card for many years. Then we accidentally missed a payment (we were traveling at the time), and they raised the interest rate.

OK, that's fair enough, that is spelled out in the agreement.

So time goes on, several more years, we continued to use the Chase card but always paid it off in full every month, so it didn't really matter what the interest rate was. Finally we got around to asking them to re-evaluate our account and lower it to the going rate at the time, since we by that time had a 5 or 6 year record of paying it off in full, every month, month after month after month.

No deal. They refused to lower the rate.

So we started using the card from our credit union, and have never used the Chase card again (two years now). They lost a lot of business that way. They probably don't care, since they weren't making any money on finance charges from us.

My wife had a simalar issue. problem is with the particular rep, NOT the whole company you trying to deal with. My wife called to activate a card using VRS and the person was "confused" who they were talking to. After 30 mins of her explaining th relay, the relay company, request of the inteerpreter ID number to passed to the rep in case they needed provee, blah blah blah, I stepped in the end and told thee rep to please hold and stand by. I told the terp to call my VCO and the terp had to explain that blah blah blah. finally she called me, even tho I couldnt hear, I could speak well enough for the rep to understand me. I gave the rep a peice of my mind and told them under no circumstancees they are to discriminate against her since she cannot hear nor talk. They still insisted on hearing her voice as a "verification". I was flabbergasted!! SO I explained very clearly with an I don't care attitude ( I wasn't in it to win a popularity contest :giggle:) and baicallyt said, fine! no problem- you need to understand my wife is deaf and cannot talk normally and you will hear monkeylike sounds when she talks. IS this acceptable??! she retorted don't talk to me like that and we are being recorded and I explained in nice vioce again. is this ok in monkey sounds yes or no?! I understand we are being recordeed, but if you show ANY deaf discrimation, you are violating our rights as a deaf consumer and ADA law blah blah blah. :D long story short- my wife did her best to talk in clearest voice and they could barely understand her but it "passed thier voice verification test".
I was like WTF? ok fine! card activated and done... :roll::eek3: whatever! at least its done and over. I hope I never have to go through this again.

An idea- couldnt you guys just go into a bank in person and have a rep at the bank do the 3 way phone conversation with you as you all call to activate and unfreeze the darn accounts?!

Not when we're in the opposite state of where our bank is. We use one bank when we're in NC, and our credit union when we're in VA. We use the credit card from our C.U., and that has to be verified by phone from our home phone number. That will only work from VA, as that's our phone of record with them.

We don't even have a phone at the beach house, just use my husband's cell and for me, my PC for e-mail.

Usually you have to activate the cards from your home phone, though. I've never heard of another way to activate them. We go through this every so often. We spend half the year at one home, the other half in another, in NC. Sometimes our credit cards come up for renewal when we are in NC, and we have to wait until we get back to VA to activate them, since that is the only home phone we have. It's irritating, but we just use a different card until we come back.

Chase is not very well-known for its customer service, far as I can tell. We used to have a Chase card for many years. Then we accidentally missed a payment (we were traveling at the time), and they raised the interest rate.

OK, that's fair enough, that is spelled out in the agreement.

So time goes on, several more years, we continued to use the Chase card but always paid it off in full every month, so it didn't really matter what the interest rate was. Finally we got around to asking them to re-evaluate our account and lower it to the going rate at the time, since we by that time had a 5 or 6 year record of paying it off in full, every month, month after month after month.

No deal. They refused to lower the rate.

So we started using the card from our credit union, and have never used the Chase card again (two years now). They lost a lot of business that way. They probably don't care, since they weren't making any money on finance charges from us.

I have 2 credit cards, not with Chase, obviously, that I activated online. In this day and time, I am surprised that something like this continues to be an issue.

Ours come with a little sticker on them that says "call 1-800 - xxxx" from your home phone to activate." Then there is a voice tree thing, where there's a robotic voice saying "please state your name," "please press 1 to activate" or whatever it is. A bunch of number-pressing later, it's done.

I don't know why they don't activate on-line, but they don't. Fear of fraud, maybe.

Ours come with a little sticker on them that says "call 1-800 - xxxx" from your home phone to activate." Then there is a voice tree thing, where there's a robotic voice saying "please state your name," "please press 1 to activate" or whatever it is. A bunch of number-pressing later, it's done.

I don't know why they don't activate on-line, but they don't. Fear of fraud, maybe.

Yeah...mine gave the choice of using an 800 number or going online. I'd much rather go online than deal with automated calls. I hate those things!:lol:

Back