Change.org petition for CI coverage

We need $$ on something else like transplant, heart surgery ete in order to live. Not able to hear is this is not something like it's not the end of world, but other life threatening is necessary to take an action to keep them alive, not to be able to hear. silly. $$ dont grow on trees.

Being hearing I am curious as to how the deaf community reacts to this request by the infant's parents to petition insurance companies to pay for CI.

We need $$ on something else like transplant, heart surgery ete in order to live. Not able to hear is this is not something like it's not the end of world, but other life threatening is necessary to take an action to keep them alive, not to be able to hear. silly. $$ dont grow on trees.

It is my understanding that all of the things that you just mentioned are already covered. They just want the implant covered in addition.

It is my understanding that all of the things that you just mentioned are already covered. They just want the implant covered in addition.

CI is too expensive therefore they force us to pay so much on health insurance more and more when I dont need CI but i need the DAMN medicine for my ocular rosacea. They are not cheap. I pay for it for the rest of my life to keep my eyes healthy. Hearing aid is sufficient . Not CI. silly silly silly $$

CI is too expensive therefore they force us to pay so much on health insurance more and more when I dont need CI but i need the DAMN medicine for my ocular rosacea. They are not cheap. I pay for it for the rest of my life to keep my eyes healthy. Hearing aid is sufficient . Not CI. silly silly silly $$

And then there are those that want to hear as bad as you want to see.

You are forgetting that it is not just you but there are those that are as interested in hearing as you are in seeing. To them the CI is very far from silly!

Just because you don't feel the need for a CI even though you are deaf doesn't mean that there are not a lot that don't agree with you and feel that their CI should be covered as well as your eye medication.

You are forgetting that it is not just you but there are those that are as interested in hearing as you are in seeing. To them the CI is very far from silly!

Just because you don't feel the need for a CI even though you are deaf doesn't mean that there are not a lot that don't agree with you and feel that their CI should be covered as well as your eye medication.

Touche, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You make a very good point Jane.

I too lost my hearing - suddenly and no known cause available. All at once, I was deaf. I believe it is nothing short of a crime for insurance companies to deny any child (or adult) this necessary device and surgery. Without the Cochlear Implant, the patient is left to feel isolated, alone, depressed, invisible, forgotten, and unknown. This world is a hearing world - not a silent world. Each aspect of life involves communication. Imagine not being able to make a simple telephone call, order a coffee, order fast food, check out at the grocery store, go to the bank, make a doctor's appointment, converse with your child(ren), call 9-1-1. All of these things happened to me--all at once

Just wow...

It sucks that society continues to have this view on deafness when it doesn't have to be that way.

Simple solution...learn ASL.

I too lost my hearing - suddenly and no known cause available. All at once, I was deaf. I believe it is nothing short of a crime for insurance companies to deny any child (or adult) this necessary device and surgery. Without the Cochlear Implant, the patient is left to feel isolated, alone, depressed, invisible, forgotten, and unknown. This world is a hearing world - not a silent world. Each aspect of life involves communication. Imagine not being able to make a simple telephone call, order a coffee, order fast food, check out at the grocery store, go to the bank, make a doctor's appointment, converse with your child(ren), call 9-1-1. All of these things happened to me--all at once

Just wow...

It sucks that society continues to have this view on deafness when it doesn't have to be that way.

That may work where you are located. But . . . it has been literally years since I have seen anyone using any sign language (be it ASL, SEE, PSL or whatever).

Just wow...

That person is talking about their own feelings about becoming deaf, not society's view of deafness. With a sudden loss like those feeling are genuine, real and common. You've been deaf all your life, you have a deaf network built already. For someone late deafened they are going to feel very very very differently about their deafness. They don't have that lifelong network built, their entire life is built with other people that can hear, Just learning ASL is not a cure all for them. The other people in their lives, all the friends family and coworkers do not know ASL that is not going to help them reconnect. 99.9% of the people they come in contact after they supposedly learn ASL are not going to know ASL and it's not going to help them communicate. The only people they would use it with is a eensy weensy teensy percentage of the population. Will it help? Yes, will it make all their problems go away? No.

FYI ASL is not a magic bandaid.

tomato tomatoe. Everyone's got their own spelling habit, no one side is going to be the right answer.

My opinion? I would take a position for my personal circles, but I choose not to engage in other people's affairs. This CI petition/donation thing was clearly asking for backlash by asking everyone out there in the world.

PS. that baby looks really frail, I'd be concerned over giving him surgery especially in the state he appears to be in.

That person is talking about their own feelings about becoming deaf, not society's view of deafness. With a sudden loss like those feeling are genuine, real and common. You've been deaf all your life, you have a deaf network built already. For someone late deafened they are going to feel very very very differently about their deafness. They don't have that lifelong network built, their entire life is built with other people that can hear, Just learning ASL is not a cure all for them. The other people in their lives, all the friends family and coworkers do not know ASL that is not going to help them reconnect. 99.9% of the people they come in contact after they supposedly learn ASL are not going to know ASL and it's not going to help them communicate. The only people they would use it with is a eensy weensy teensy percentage of the population. Will it help? Yes, will it make all their problems go away? No.

FYI ASL is not a magic bandaid.

Remember, I grew up orally with no deaf network. I learned ASL at 25 years old and built my network around 28 years old. I grew up identifying myself as a "broken" hearing person trying to fit into the hearing world and learning ASL changed that. That person can learn ASL and give it a try instead of using that negative view on why children should get CIs.

See, that's what I have been saying for years....society's view on CI and defness will become more negative if society believes that CIs are a cure for deafness.

I can understand any one who was born hearing and then become deaf. CI is the issue on their mind. I can understand that. It would make sense.

I feel bad for anyone who have to deal with hearing loss and be suffering not able to hear for years without ASL. I feel them.

I do not need CI. I have a life. Hearing loss is not a life threating. Thank god.

I can understand any one who was born hearing and then become deaf. CI is the issue on their mind. I can understand that. It would make sense.

I feel bad for anyone who have to deal with hearing loss and be suffering not able to hear for years without ASL. I feel them.

I do not need CI. Hearing loss is not a life threating. Thank god.

Your earlier posts in this thread came across to me as wanting to deny coverage for CI to anyone but wanting coverage for your eye medication.

Remember, I grew up orally with no deaf network. I learned ASL at 25 years old and built my network around 28 years old. I grew up identifying myself as a "broken" hearing person trying to fit into the hearing world and learning ASL changed that. That person can learn ASL and give it a try instead of using that negative view on why children should get CIs.

See, that's what I have been saying for years....society's view on CI and defness will become more negative if society believes that CIs are a cure for deafness.

But you still grew up hoh/deaf, whatever you are. Your feelings about it are going to be different, end of story. You are not going to understand society's views on hearing because you don't know what it is to be hearing. Growing up with a focus on oral communication does not give you the experience of being hearing.

Your earlier posts in this thread came across to me as wanting to deny coverage for CI to anyone but wanting coverage for your eye medication.

Indeed that is correct. I rather seeing something that insurance can provide to save peoples life, as if it were a life threatening.

Indeed that is correct. I rather seeing something that insurance can provide to save peoples life, as if it were a life threatening.

But . . . this doesn't compute! How is your eye condition life threatening?

I want both covered!

But you still grew up hoh/deaf, whatever you are. Your feelings about it are going to be different, end of story. You are not going to understand society's views on hearing because you don't know what it is to be hearing. Growing up with a focus on oral communication does not give you the experience of being hearing.

No, but I grew up being treated as being hearing which led me to believe that being hearing is better and that life is not worthy without hearing. Learned that it didn't have to be that way.

Many late deafened people learn ASL and found that being deaf is ok.

This is not about me...this is about society's view on deafness and how society views it as something negative and that a CI will only fix.

Back