Cat and Crow

heartwheel

Reaction score
It was probably silly of me to transcribe this but I did try anyway. I know it's old news but it's one of my favorite stories. I just bumped into it this morning while looking for something else.

Unconditional Love between Cat and Crow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GoSs9iIho&feature=related]YouTube - Unconditional love between cat and crow[/ame]

Narrator:
Some animals are just natural enemies, cats and birds, for example. But we've discovered some very unusual home video that shows how even these natural enemies can become the best of friends.

[Shows a grey haired couple walking hand in hand in what appears to be their yard]

Wallace and Anne Kolito live on the outskirts of North Attleboro, Massachusetts. They are and always have been fond of animals.

Wallace: We've been married 51 years and I don't think we've been a week without a cat. Cats, I don't mind cats at all.

We see a black and white cat walking over grass and hear a meow.

We see the couple sitting on their porch.

Narrator: One day while sitting on their porch, the Kolitos saw a stray kitten at the edge of their yard.

[home video shows the kitten walking in the grass. Kitten meowing]

Wallace: This was a kitten that wasn't much more than three or four months old.

A crow caws close by. Camera pans to couple on porch.

Narrator: A couple of days later they saw it again. But this time he wasn't alone.

Wallace: And who was with him but a crow!

Camera zooms in on the crow preening the kitten in the yard. Hear crow cawing and kitten meowing.

Wallace: I said, it can't be... a crow and kitten? I said, my God a crow? A crow and a kitten? it's impossible. I said, right there, it's a cat and a crow running down the road. We figured maybe the crow was chasing the kitten but they were side by side not one behind each other.

We see the crow chasing after the kitten trotting away, then slowing walking side by side. We hear the crow caw. They stop in a paved area, the two. The kitten sits and crow walks over to it and appears to preen or interract iwth it somehow. The cat meows.

Wallace: I said they must be friends!

Anne walks out her squeeky screen door holding a dish.

Narrator: Worried the kitten would starve, Anne put out some food. But the next time she saw it she realized her worries had been for nothing.

hear cat purring loudly
see crow and cat in grass.

Wallace: The cat was laying down and the crow was picking stuff up out of the grass to feed him. He looked like he had worm or something and he was feeding the cat.

Anne: Oh my god, he's feeding the kitten!

Camera shows cat sprawled lazily in the grass with the crow first sticking its beak in the cat's ear then in the cat's mouth.

Anne: We were shocked! They're supposed to eat anything that's got fur on it and all of sudden he was feeding the kitten and caring for the kitten and bringing it to the water and do all sorts of things that a crow shouldn't do.

Wallace: I know cats and birds are not friends. I don't care what kind of a cat it is or what kind of a bird it is, you just dont see things like that.

Anne immediately called her vet. and asked for advice and spoke with the office manager Jane Nash.

Scene switches to inside animal clinic with Jane answering the phone.

Jane: Animal clinic may I help you?

Jane talking to interviewer: She mentioned about a stray kitten and said a bird kept coming. A bird kept coming.

Jane on phone: The bird is protecting the kitten is that what your saying?

Jane to interviewer: I didn't believe it. The customers always right so I just went along iwth it. Okay. Okay.

Narrator: Jane relayed Anne's story to the veteranerian doctor, insert indian name.

Vet: I don't believe it was possible, that was my belief. I had not heard, not seen a crow feeding a cat.

Narrator: Dotor called Anne back to hear her story firsthand.

Doctor to Anne on phone: If you think what you are telling me is correct, you've to document it because you know because nobody will believe it in these days or times.

Narrator: The Kolitos took the good doctors advice and for the next 8 months they videotaped the amazing relationship. between these two natural born enemies.

We see the cat sitting in grass, raising this foot while cleaning himself and the crow beside him cawing and grabbing the cat's foot playfully in his beak.

Narrator: What they record is the a crow caring for and looking after a motherless kitten.

More footage of the crow very close to cat laying down, apparently feeding it.

The crow playingfully scaring/jumping the kitten.

Wallace: It's amazing. You have to sit there and your dumbfounded when you see it. There's no question about it, you're just dumbfounded. He kept that cat alive we don't know how long.

We see the cat and crow together at what appears to be a watering bowl.

Wallace: So we surmised that the crow saved the cat.

Narrator: Eventually Anne decided to give the kitten cat food instead of its regular diet of worms and bugs.

The cat and the crow at a place of mostly eaten cat food.

Wallace: The crow and the cat went out there both together eating the food. But the crow would grab a mouthful and step back a couple inches and he'd gobble his up, you know. Then the cat would keep on eating and the crow would come over and grab another piece and take off. But he always made sure that the cat would eat his share.

We see the crow in the road cawing rapidly as if to alert. We see the kitten scoot off the edge of the road.

Anne filming we hear her say "he won't get out of the road will he?" as if in agreement with the crow's distress.

Narrator: They also discovered that the crow is very protective of the kitten.

Wallace: When the cat would start going in the road the crow would holler, "don't go in the road! You're going to get hurt!" Sometimes he'd get in front of her and push her back to the sidewalk. He was protecting her, see, cause he was always so friendly.

We see the cat playfully reach out it's paw on the crow's shoulder and walking side by side.

Narrator: And its their unlikely friendship that comes across so vividly in the tape. For hours each day they would tease, torment and play with each other.

crow is walking and the cat jumps out with loud meow! from behind a wall (and scoots back to hide) and scaring the crow playfully.

the kitten is laying on its side, playfully batting at the crow's open beak.

hear loud crows and meows and see the the cat and the crow rolling around in a ball bundle in the grass playing.

we see the cat laying on its side, feet pointing at the crow. The crow is laying down too on its side mirroring the cat.

Narrator: When Dr. Maymond the veterninarian and Jane Nash were finally showed the tapes they couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Jane Nash: the bird was acting like the kitten's mother. You know, picking things off the grass and then putting it in the mouth. And the kitten of course play, everything's play.

hear loud purring, see the cat sprawled on its back in the grass with the crow leaning over it.

Jane: I've never seen it before in the 13 years I've been working here, never heard of it before. The only theory I would say is that they were both young and did not know any better. It's the mother instinct in the crow.

Narrator: As the months passed Anne gained confidence in the cat the she named ,"Cassie" and it would spent nights in the house. But every morning the crow would be there waiting.

Anne: The bird trusted me because she would look right in at me and crow and crow until I let Cassie out. She was fine when I let Cassie out.

Wallace: We'd open the door and the crow and the cat would walk down the stairs together and took off together and play together again.

We see them both walking away from the camera side by side. ( reminding me of two teenagers in love, escaping their parents)

Wallace: it had to be, what do you call a cat and a bird, love? or friendship or what, you know.

Anne: Best friends.

Narrator: Perhaps there's a lesson we can all learn from this relationship.

Jane Nash: If your able to gain trust in someone or something or each other then anything's possible. The crow gained confidence from this kitten and the kitten trusted the crow which was the only mother figure in the kitten's world.

Anne: It's a miracle because he knew the kitten needed help and he was there.
Wallace: If it wasn't for the crow feeding that cat and taking care of that the cat, it would have been dead a long time ago. Even the vet says if it wasn't for the crow this cat wouldn't be here. We could learn a lot! Be friendly with your neighbors, not even your neighbors, but the people you know and dont know, be friendly with them. Because if a crow can take care of kitten it shows that two strangers can meet and get along with each other.

Yes, I remember this video clip. It was so interesting. Thanks for bring it up.

Glad you liked it. I just wish they would have included the part where you see the crow intentionally hiding behind a garbage can and the cat coming up then the crow jumps out and scares it, seeing that interraction and play so amazing and warming to me :)

That is a really sweet video. I don't think I've seen it before. Thanks for posting it and transcribing it.

I couldn't watch a video due to my dail up, but thank you for putting the script up :) It's so cute!

As least, it's much better than how my cat have done to the crow, she killed a big crow and throw the dead crow in the pond.. Also my cat did that to a baby rabbit too... I guess my cat was evil :lol: I know it's yucky..

awww thats sooo sweet!! i havent seen it before.. funny today my co worker sent me the same clip what you just made the thread. its so amazing to see the bird and the cat hanging out together for a LONG period. CUTE!!!

AWWWWWW! what a sweet story! I think I've seen it on TV....soo sweet! :) They are best friends!

Back