CART/Captioning service for the deaf/HOH

e

Reaction score
When I was at CSUN, I learned about captioning service (one of these services such as interpreter, notetaker, and etc.) for the deaf/hoh students in classroom. Most of oralism deaf students used this system. I found this easier and understandable for myself than watching the interpreter. Sometimes I couldn't understand the interpreter because of its own sign language style, or worse-TOO ASL. I prefer words than gestures/pictures. Other great advantage of captioning, after the class the captioner would print out the rest of lecture and hand it to you! All you gotta do is look thru, hightlight, and then study it!
Have anyone tried this before? If so, does this very suitable to you?
If this is new to you then I hope this link helps enough to learn info about it. http://www.sandiegocaptioning.com/CART.htm

It's nice to have tv with CC as class, that I could understand everything - like flawless.

Interpreter can be difficult to understand. Somehow, I nob and snap myself - huh - I forget. :?

I haven't tried that process yet, but I'm not complaining about my interpreters because so far, they're awesome. I get to have conversations with them in sign language during class sometimes when I get that bored. Yes, it gets so boring sometimes that we just start having a conversation (one interpreter telling me what teacher says, the other interpreter having a conversation with me). I always have two interpreters for all my classes because my classes are always looooooooong (more than one hour usually).

yeah we call it RTC - Real Time Captioning.... and two you can have a conversation with the captioner just write it down on a note book like you are taking notes and the person will type back to you and the PLUS is if you are not paying attention, you can always go back and read what was said.....good if the prof catches you offguard.......

also you can do a search that mean you dont have to look all over the notes for the key words.....also if the prof was not clear on something and you can prove it to them.....it helped me when there was a test cuz the prof didnt full explain and it got me extra points on the test!!! whoo hooo........ I wouldnt recommend printing it out it is about 60 pages (the prof talks alot) JUST to save it on the disk, do a search and copy what you want on a microsoft words and tada a nice and polished notes with details...
I have so many disks, I am saving a lots of trees from not printing out the WHOLE thing...

Really? Hmm intersting. I dont know much about this so im learning :o

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
also you can do a search that mean you dont have to look all over the notes for the key words.....also if the prof was not clear on something and you can prove it to them.....it helped me when there was a test cuz the prof didnt full explain and it got me extra points on the test!!! whoo hooo........ I wouldnt recommend printing it out it is about 60 pages (the prof talks alot) JUST to save it on the disk, do a search and copy what you want on a microsoft words and tada a nice and polished notes with details...
I have so many disks, I am saving a lots of trees from not printing out the WHOLE thing...

I have experienced with printing too many papers. That's why I don't like CART papers because they overwhelmed me. I prefer to use ASL interpreters and notetakers instead. I agree with you on printing bulk papers.

hmmm interesting!! So now we have more choices then I did back in the 70s. good luck to all of you! hmm I wish the teacher could copy what she said,etc on computer. and then I can study it online at home? lol

I use realtime captioning for my lectures and interpreters for my lab sessions at school.

No, I do not use CART. When I was in college, most of my classes were seminar-style courses, where we had to give as much input in the class as the profs did. A CART would not help me if I was asking questions or giving a presentation on something. I always have preferred interpreters.

Incidentially, recently the courthouse phoned my mother last week asking if it is allright to provide CART for me for Jury Duty. I told them no! I want an ASL interpreter, period. I think interpreter also can convey emotions better than just reading words and trying to figure out what the emotion of the speakers are.

That sound so cool. It kind of very interesting. But, I don't have it. It was an interpreter was ok with me. As far of most deaf like closed caption or interpreter. That okay! They people are deaf prefer to use it.

Back