Carbuetor issue on Suzuki Volusia

Just tonight, I decided to mess with Volusia's air filter. Pix on below paragraph show One pieces air filter which filter glued to the plastic "football" shaped base. I really want to remove it without breaking the "football" base. I decided to do "lab research" on pale yellow glue to find out which methods I can weaken, soften or peel it. At first, I use needle nose plier to break off "excess" glue which is a big pieces then I tried soldering iron to see if pieces melt. It won't melt at all. It appears brittle and I thought :hmm: If glue is brittle and harder than plastic. Football base is somewhat flexible. I decide to pry around the top filter lid to see if glue and plastic comes apart without breaking black plastic lid (I just tweak around the edge). Sure enough, the plastic easily break off the glue. I got an idea, I use clawhammer and flipped the base bottom up on garage floor. I tapped firmly without breaking plastic base (tapping around the circle including edges and flat surface) After 5 min of firm tapping, finally, the filter popped off but small part of glue on deep end of plastic base still stuck there. I just went ahead and pull it off and broke off the filter fiber that was stuck on glue on plastic base. It came off nearly cleanly!! I use jeweler screwdriver and mallet to chip off the remaining small part of glue and I decide to hold up plastic base against light to see if there are any cracks or hidden cracks around or in the circular part of the base. There's none!! Puurrrfect!!

Now that I can modify filter anytime. I found several filters at auto part store selling between $6 to $10. It's typically a hot rodder filter. Perfect replacement!

The only concern is that I have to figure out how to put retainer on new filter. There are several ways to retain filter to base.

Pardon my bandaged thumb and finger, It's a papercuts I had from my work. It sucks and hurts! :giggle:

Here's the pix

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

Catty

Yesterday, I bought hot rod air filter with chrome lid and base. I had an idea to modify the hot rod filter kit without molesting plastic "football" base. The chrome base have upside down "V" holding bolt for holding down chrome filter cover with wingnut. I decide to cut off bottom of "V" from base and flip it upright and put "V" under the plastic base and use long bolt so new filter and chrome cover be held with wingnut on other side of base. I succeed putting it together and secured it with rubber washer and wingnut so it won't vibrate off. The "V" was secured with long bolt and nut tighten to bottom of "V" so it won't vibrate loose too.

I put big chrome cover back on and fired up motorcycle. It ran just better than it had old filter. I only spent entire stuff for $18 (Chrome air filter set, long metric bolt, rubber washer) and modified it. Replacement filter only cost $6.

Here's pix

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

What ya think?

Catty

Not bad idea!

Yup, The OEM filter cost $40 or K&N filter for Volusia cost $60. This is reason why I don't want to spend that much money on OEM replacement cuz it don't last long (original filter was already very dirty when it's only 8,500 miles and I use compressed air to try to clean it but it didn't help much). Also K&N filter (attached to plastic football base) as an upgrade require rejetting carburetor. Rejet kit cost $50.

What I have now is temporary, I don't know how long I would have it until I upgrade it to K&N filter in future plus jet kit. I will upgrade when I'm ready. I plan to keep modified filter in case if K&N filter needing replacement if it got old or too dirty after many reuse.

Catty

Back