captions/subtitels

terrifickmb

Reaction score
hi everyone, so i was wondering about the subtitles/ text do you have to have a special tv or device to get them properly or what happens? atm i am using what the tv has, i have the text and captions for hearing impaired turned on, but some programs it dosnt work at all, and all the rest it is very delayed most of the time or has horrid mistakes all through it which make it not make any sence at all, some of the mistakes are so off and wrong they are funny. but yeah any help or your experience with it would be great thanks

I experienced the same thing with a regular TV. I stick to Hulu, netflix, etc because captions are clear. However a few weeks ago my boyfriend hooked up a computer to the downstairs TV. Mine captions are better, more consistent, and more custom too which is sort of cool (I got to choose between 10 different fonts, colors, and background colors). It tapes shows with captions as well. I don't fully understand it because I'm a Mac girl myself but if anyone wants more info private message me or click the AIM widget under my avatar.

You will notice Horrid mistakes all through any CC shows... So I notice... I'm also a spelling whore and notice every little typo... They happen often. You shouldn't have to have a special TV... I had a super old TV a few years back and it still worked with CC. =)

It's been awhile since I had cable, but if I remember right I had better results with setting the captions through the cable, instead of the television, BUT the HD channels were horrible. Like the first half of the sentence would be at the end, and then some random numbers so it's look like this...... end and random numbersLike the first half6759394of the sentence would be at the.ahhhh maybe the HD's are better now? I don't know, I use netf;ix now rarely a problem.

thanks everyone, i use a hd tv with a hd digital set top box/recorder, some of the captions are just awful and 2 mins behind then they cut it all out try and catch up and it ends up being a jumbled mess, just makes me wonder what the profoundly deaf do because if you were relying on that soley most of the time it would make no sense and confuse you, although i am not profoundly deaf i have severe-moderate hearing loss and still rely on the captions heavily.

thanks everyone, i use a hd tv with a hd digital set top box/recorder, some of the captions are just awful and 2 mins behind then they cut it all out try and catch up and it ends up being a jumbled mess, just makes me wonder what the profoundly deaf do because if you were relying on that soley most of the time it would make no sense and confuse you, although i am not profoundly deaf i have severe-moderate hearing loss and still rely on the captions heavily.

Just like Amb said, set them through the cable, they're often better than on the TV. You'll still see a lot of it can suck... but CC through the cable box is way more reliable. =):D

Back