Captioning in DVD Recorders

nighthawk700

Reaction score
My DVD player died, and now I'm looking into getting a new one, preferably one that records as well as plays. I was just about to buy a Lite-On 5005 when I found some postings (in a DVD forurm) that the captioning will not be displayed on the tv (although they are recorded, and can be displayed if the DVD is run through another DVD player). So that recorder is out. So far I have only been able to find out a few DVD recorders won't display captions. I haven't been able to find anything about what DVD recorders (or players for that matter, since I have had/seen some players that only show subtitles, not captions) will display the captions. Have I been looking in the wrong place? Anyone know of a resource that has this information?

Thanks

We have two DVD recorders, it will not show CC on recorder but when you take CD out and put in another player, it will WORK. Weird! So we love our new DVD recorder...a lot better than VCR! :) Good luck!

nighthawk700 said:
My DVD player died, and now I'm looking into getting a new one, preferably one that records as well as plays. I was just about to buy a Lite-On 5005 when I found some postings (in a DVD forurm) that the captioning will not be displayed on the tv (although they are recorded, and can be displayed if the DVD is run through another DVD player). So that recorder is out. So far I have only been able to find out a few DVD recorders won't display captions. I haven't been able to find anything about what DVD recorders (or players for that matter, since I have had/seen some players that only show subtitles, not captions) will display the captions. Have I been looking in the wrong place? Anyone know of a resource that has this information?

Thanks

I just bought an Allegro DVD Recorder/VCR Combo (ABR521), but it was out of stock so it would be ready by tomorrow at the CircuitCity store.

I think your machine, the Lite-On 5005, contains a firewire port that can be transferred from a digital video camera to the DVD recorder. Am I correct?

(I am surprised that I cannot find other DVD recorders that comes with a firewire port. I do not think that I have that for my new machine.)

Oh, I see your problem that we need to buy a cheap DVD player for us to watch closed captions.

I like my new Allegro DVD/VCR combo player. Indeed, it showed me closed captions without any problem. The remote is easy to use with the buttons. I have seen some other remotes, and they are so small buttons and hard to see.

I am pretty confused with many different kind of brands that tell us which one that can be recorded on a blank DVD. It is pretty tricky. Don't you think so?

i.e. DVD-RW/-R/+R etc... Is the DVD-RAM same thing for DVD-RW?

yea it is... i suggest you to get blank dvd-r(w), not dvd+r because most dvd players accept dvd-r. very rare dvd player can accept dvd+r.

AHHH I see...I bought blank DVD+R(or RW) and it seem work on our new DVD recorder. I'll have to double check with other blank CD that we are using right now. I haven't open the package yet. If it is wrong one, I have no plm to exchange it.

deafclimber said:
yea it is... i suggest you to get blank dvd-r(w), not dvd+r because most dvd players accept dvd-r. very rare dvd player can accept dvd+r.

Mama2AFTIV said:
AHHH I see...I bought blank DVD+R(or RW) and it seem work on our new DVD recorder. I'll have to double check with other blank CD that we are using right now. I haven't open the package yet. If it is wrong one, I have no plm to exchange it.

yea what if your friend or relative asks you if they can borrow ur dvd somehow their dvd players didnt work with dvd+r. that is why i use dvd-r in case my friends or family can borrow mine.

when i got my dvd burner, i burned some movies with dvd+r. i put it my dvd player and it worked... my fiancee tried my dvd+r on her dvd player, but it didnt work. then she tried mine on laptop, but it didnt work. so i changed it to dvd-r, everything works fine. it is odd. it is hard to tell which player can accept dvd-r or dvd+r. so i stick with dvd-r.

Oh ok. I'll test my CD that already recorded in different players and see how it goes. We have four regluar DVD players (5ht one was very old and it act dumb ass) and two recorders. We already took VCR out but kept one stay on in case.

SO I'll test it and if it does not work, I'll exchange it today since I need run to Wal Mart anyway! :) Thanks for those information! That is really helpful for me to know about blank DVD cds :)

deafclimber said:
yea what if your friend or relative asks you if they can borrow ur dvd somehow their dvd players didnt work with dvd+r. that is why i use dvd-r in case my friends or family can borrow mine.

when i got my dvd burner, i burned some movies with dvd+r. i put it my dvd player and it worked... my fiancee tried my dvd+r on her dvd player, but it didnt work. then she tried her laptop, but it didnt work. so i changed it to dvd-r, everything works fine. it is odd. it is hard to tell which player can accept dvd-r or dvd+r. so i stick with dvd-r.

The manual says that it recommended recordable DVD discs:

DVR-R:

SONY (8x 16x)
TDK (4x, 8x)
Verbatim (4x, 8x)
Panasonic (2x, 4x)

DVD+R:

SONY (2.4x, 4x, 8x, 16x)
TDK (4x)
Mitsubishi (4x, 8x)
Ricoh (2x, 4x, 8x)

DVD-RW:

Victor (1x, 4x)
Maxwell (1x, 2x, 4x)
VerbatimTDK (2x)
Mitsubishi (2x)

DVD+RW:

SONY (2.4x)
TDK (2.4x)
Ricoh (2.4x)
HP (2.4x, 4x)
Philips (4x)

webexplorer,

yea that helps. each player is picky on any type of dvds. sometimes i have a hard time to find a right type at any store. some store dont have the type i look for. too much driving for me. :squint:

be sure to find a right type for ur regular dvd player beside ur new dvd recorder. :)

I have the Allergo machine, and I don't like it. The manual book is too complex for me to understand it because it is supposed to record it automatically for one week. Yesterday, it recorded fine, and next day, it did not record it. I might have missed something for the setting, but I am pretty sure that I double checked it. I am going to return it to the store tomorrow.

I went to the store today just to look around to find the right one, and it is not that simple - I think that some ads are trick. Is it worth for anyone to buy a DVD-RAM recorder machine?

(Actually, I went back to the store to see if the Allergo machines are on the shelf. Surprisely, they are not there anymore. I talked to a dealer about it, and he told me that no one bought them. It is a good thing that I found out today.)

We bought ours at Wal Mart and it is Ilo or something. We got it for 100 dollars or something I can't remember. It's not bad...it recording well. Sometimes it can be pain in butt! LOL! The picture is soo clear and no blurry or 'snow'. :) Good luck!

webexplorer said:
I have the Allergo machine, and I don't like it. The manual book is too complex for me to understand it because it is supposed to record it automatically for one week. Yesterday, it recorded fine, and next day, it did not record it. I might have missed something for the setting, but I am pretty sure that I double checked it. I am going to return it to the store tomorrow.

I went to the store today just to look around to find the right one, and it is not that simple - I think that some ads are trick. Is it worth for anyone to buy a DVD-RAM recorder machine?

(Actually, I went back to the store to see if the Allergo machines are on the shelf. Surprisely, they are not there anymore. I talked to a dealer about it, and he told me that no one bought them. It is a good thing that I found out today.)

I bet that you got a good one, but I need copies from VHS to DVD. That is the problem. I have so many VHS tapes of Oprah and Martha Stewart shows. I hate to spend my money to buy Martha's DVD shows. I could use something else to watch on a DVD recorder machine from a rent movie shop (only watch movies, perhaps a scary movie for the Halloween). ;)

You still can make a copy from Video Tape to DVD. I am not sure how it work. I haven't test it on our DVD recorder.

webexplorer said:
I bet that you got a good one, but I need copies from VHS to DVD. That is the problem. I have so many VHS tapes of Oprah and Martha Stewart shows. I hate to spend my money to buy Martha's DVD shows. I could use something else to watch on a DVD recorder machine from a rent movie shop (only watch movies, perhaps a scary movie for the Halloween). ;)

Ohh, I wonder if Australia has any close captioned DVD recorder?
Would like it very much if they do.

Back