Can you please help me? I need some career advice!

amandaraemay

Reaction score
Hi! For starters, I need some advice. Currently, I am a senior social work major in a 4-year university. I live in western NY state. I will have graduated after one more year. I'm very interested in working with the Deaf, and learning ASL. I have been studying it for about a year now. My school only offers two courses, and I have finished them both. There isn't much of a Deaf population out here, so there aren't anymore classes that I can take, Not to mention, there aren't many deaf people to communicate with, so it's difficult to become involved with the culture.

I have an aunt in Pensacola Florida. Her friend owns an agency that deals with working with the deaf, providing social services, and various other things. After I graduate, I was told that I would be able to live with my aunt, no problem, and work for her friend. This would be wonderful experience, and something I'm really excited to become involved with. I'm practically guaranteed this job. However, I would like to become a more proficient signer. Someday, I'd love to become certified in interpreting ASL, but I definitely have a long way to go.

What are some things that I can do over the time span of the next year to become a more skilled signer? I love continuing to learn sign on my own time. I try my best to practice as much as possible, although there isn't anyone I know to practice with. I really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer! Thanks so much :aw:

-Amanda

You said western NY. Any chance you are near Rochester? There's a HUGE deaf population there because of RIT/NTID. If so perhaps you can find opportunities to interact there?

I'm about 2 hours from Rochester. I'm very torn about what to do after graduating. Until this job opportunity came my way, I had my heart set on searching for an ASL/social work related career in Rochester.

Are there any deaf socials in your area or nearby towns/cities?

She's not asking about Gally or RIT.

Amanda, I suppose 2 hours is rather far away. :( I know it sounds trivial, but if you know of a monthly gathering in the Rochester (or even Syracuse if that is closer?), try and go anyway. Maybe make a weekend of it?

Other than that, frequent in-person maintenance is going to be hard, I understand. I wish I had better ideas for you.

I am hearing. I live in a small community which has a very small Deaf population. So small, that I've never even MET a Deaf person in my area before

I am hearing. I live in a small community which has a very small Deaf population. So small, that I've never even MET a Deaf person in my area before

That sucks. Hopefully, AD will be a great resource for you so keep coming to AD and hang out with us.

Well, since you stated that you live in Western NY. Small community and small deaf population.. hmm. It must be sounding like in Southern Tiers. Buffalo (Niagara and Erie counties altogether) has roughly 3,000 deaf/hoh from the age range of 0-99. Rochester....man, as you know that it has the largest Deaf population per captia in the U.S.!! Around 30,000 plus in Monroe county and a couple of other counties altogether.

If you are in Southern Tiers...there has rarely deaf social/events such as picinic...most often deafies are hiding elsewhere in the Southern Tiers. I have never went to any deaf event or social in the Tiers except for camping/bonfire party at Alleghany State Park.

I'm about 2 hours from Rochester. I'm very torn about what to do after graduating. Until this job opportunity came my way, I had my heart set on searching for an ASL/social work related career in Rochester.

You may will have to start your internship at DAS (Deaf Adult Service) in Buffalo or Deaf agency services in Rochester. I don't know very much about internship and where exactly they are at thingy, LOL. Or something to do with RID (Registry Interpreter for the Deaf) after graduating from the University in order to get certification, it means more pay than just a freelance based interpreter with Bachelor's degree from ASL/interpreting program. You are always free to find out for more information about DAS online - Welcome to Deaf Adult Services, Inc. of Western New York

Ohh!! I want to mention you, AmandaRae about THIS weekend!! A big event for Deaf/Hoh/interpreters/Newcomers/ASL students in Buffalo:

Empire State Association for the Deaf (ESAD): ESAD Conference

Welcome to Deaf Adult Services, Inc. of Western New York

Empire State Association for the Deaf (ESAD)

If you have a chance to grab for the weekend getaway! It would help a good experience for you. :D

Thank you so much!!! That's definitely something I'm going to try and check out :hmm:

Back